anderton lift

steveiom

Featured Posts

Hi both,how are things ? I will whisper...how's your fuel ? Hope all is ok as you deserve it to be.

Trina

Hi Trina, thanks for asking ... [whisper mode ON] it's all working OK at the moment, it's now nearly 3 weeks since we had any problems and we've just topped with fuel from Halsall so we'll be using the Weaver to give it all a good fast run to test things properly. If all goes well we'll cross over to the east and go on to the Trent. [whisper mode OFF]

We'll have a chat with them here at the Lift and see if they give away any secrets!

No problems at the Lift. Walked down to the office at 9 this morning & were allocated space on the 10am Lift. Got a small tyre (somebody's ex fender) on the prop as I tried to leave the caisson so wondered if I'd have stay there and go up and down until I'd cleared it, but it was its blue string that had wound around the blades so it broke after a couple of forward/reverse shifts.

We're now moored on the beautiful moorings that are a quarter of a mile above Vale Royal lock. Northwich looked very busy indeed, we'd have had to breast up to another boat if we'd wanted to stop.

No problems at the Lift. Walked down to the office at 9 this morning & were allocated space on the 10am Lift. Got a small tyre (somebody's ex fender) on the prop as I tried to leave the caisson so wondered if I'd have stay there and go up and down until I'd cleared it, but it was its blue string that had wound around the blades so it broke after a couple of forward/reverse shifts.

We're now moored on the beautiful moorings that are a quarter of a mile above Vale Royal lock. Northwich looked very busy indeed, we'd have had to breast up to another boat if we'd wanted to stop.

I have seen boats moored to the railings below the bridge at Northwich on the left bank. Opposite the services

Edited by ditchcrawler

I have seen boats moored to the railings below the bridge at Northwich on the left bank. Opposite the services

Do you mean next to the road behind McDonald's? If so, it's a building site at the moment and I'm not sure they'll let you stop there.

Do you mean next to the road behind McDonald's? If so, it's a building site at the moment and I'm not sure they'll let you stop there.

This is Baron's Quay and if the fly-through linked here is to be believed there will be much improved moorings there once the development is finished. At the moment, as you say, it is a building site and it's no longer possible to moor there; one reason the 48 hour moorings between the bridges are so full at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyUBlwPcd64

With the river becoming more popular all the time I think more moorings will need to be provided eventually at various places.

Correct, but there were boats mooring there in May this year when the other side was full.

Agree,the moorings on the flash are a bit shallow,but a pleasant place to moor and there is a water tap on the mooring.

I measured them and I would say there is room for 2 boats drawing near on 3 ft and maybe another at 2' 6" and then it gets shallower towards the bridge

Went to Northwich again today. The moorings were again very busy - with all except 3 spaces occupied by the same boats that had been there on Friday morning. Luckily for us only 2 of these spaces had replacement boats on them, so there was one space free and we dived into it for a couple of hours, much to the frustration of the boat that had apparently only left its spot to go and fill up with water.

When we got back to the Lift it had broken again. An engineer had been called out and he managed to get it working by the end of the afternoon and they've just taken a couple of boats up OK. For the first time we've actually paid to reserve a passage tomorrow, so that our place in the queue is fixed if it breaks again or it takes longer than expected to clear the backlog.

Edited by Keeping Up

The lift was working fine this morning, and they quickly cleared the backlog so we needn't have booked after all. We came up at 10 o'clock. There was quite a queue of historic boats waiting to go down (presumably all on their way back from Lymm).