Wigan Flight 1st time

Glynn

Featured Posts

We ( me & erindoors ) helped a friend up Wigan flight today, also with someone setting up the next locks.

We did did it in 4 hours, which I don't thinks is bad going.

Iv'e heard people say this flight is a bit "rough", but to be honest I found it quite nice.

We ( me & erindoors ) helped a friend up Wigan flight today, also with someone setting up the next locks.

We did did it in 4 hours, which I don't thinks is bad going.

Iv'e heard people say this flight is a bit "rough", but to be honest I found it quite nice.

I think I'd say lacking maintenance rather than rough. But maybe getting some at last

It's not too bad if you have a crew or are sharing. Done it with just the mrs and sharing with another boat. Sharing is better !

There is a Facebook page called Wigan Flight Crew. They try to pair boats going up and also have people who will come and help you up

SWMBO did it two weeks ago single handed. They said that they would help on Tuesdays.

They even walked round and helped her with the two Poolstock locks. Brilliant.

My sister and I did it 3 years ago ( one late 60's other late 70's )

My sister had an injured hand so she had the helm and I worked the locks. We ( I ) found it very hard work with some very heavy gates but also very satisfying. I needed to take a break half way for a much needed rest and tea break but just kept plodding along at my own speed. If I could manage then you would have to be seriously decrepit to fail !!!

(I was totally unaware that there was such a thing as the flight crew !!!)

My sister had an injured hand so she had the helm and I worked the locks. We ( I ) found it very hard work with some very heavy gates but also very satisfying. I needed to take a break half way for a much needed rest and tea break but just kept plodding along at my own speed. If I could manage then you would have to be seriously decrepit to fail !!!

There wasn't 3 years ago.

Talking of flight crew, I've just seen the Vulcan Bomber go overhead. Absolutely stunning!

Talking of flight crew, I've just seen the Vulcan Bomber go overhead. Absolutely stunning!

Saw one years ago when at anchor off Spurn Point, it had just taken off and swept right over the top of us, as you say a stunning sight!!!

Just been up the flight today. Smoothest transit yet in 5 hours total - First three locks single handed then shared with another boat who had help.

Beware of low water in pounds though. Generally not an issue between locks with 34" draught boat, but caught on the cill entering a couple under such conditions. Even the boat with me with only 27" draught grounded inside one lock following low pound.

I don't mind Wigan, even if alone. It's a a large flight of broad locks, but its now as good as any if you ask me.

Daniel

How do you manage to keep up with the stoking and feedwater at the same time as steering and working paddles?

How do you manage to keep up with the stoking and feedwater at the same time as steering and working paddles?

Feed water is semi automated, via an engine driven pump and ball cock, so typically only needs a visual inspection every 10-20mins.

Coal use is much reduced when in a flight, but like the water, you just nip down into the engine room quickly, if waiting for the lock to be set, or once the locks fairly level and unlikely to go wrong fast, or else if you have a bit of an open pound you can do it on the move if your quick....

Its raire to single hand the boat, but even that can be done. Quick nip down every 20mins or so, and then typically stop in a bridge hole every hour or two if it needs longer attention, bit of a rake or whatever.

Obviously compared to a loco hauling a train the size of the plant and coal needed is much reduced, around 1/10ton a day say. So its not like your hefting half a bunker in over the day.

Daniel

Feed water is semi automated, via an engine driven pump and ball cock, so typically only needs a visual inspection every 10-20mins.

Coal use is much reduced when in a flight, but like the water, you just nip down into the engine room quickly, if waiting for the lock to be set, or once the locks fairly level and unlikely to go wrong fast, or else if you have a bit of an open pound you can do it on the move if your quick....

Its raire to single hand the boat, but even that can be done. Quick nip down every 20mins or so, and then typically stop in a bridge hole every hour or two if it needs longer attention, bit of a rake or whatever.

Obviously compared to a loco hauling a train the size of the plant and coal needed is much reduced, around 1/10ton a day say. So its not like your hefting half a bunker in over the day.

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel.

There was a steam boat moored just down from Atherstone when we last passed through some while ago. He was burning oil, though. Must have cost him lots!

N