eroded banks opp. to towpath

tagulablue

Featured Posts

This is just idle curiosity...passed loads of farmers fields today where they seem to have lost a lot of land to canal erosion... My question is ...who pays for the repair ... farmer or CRT.. If it is the farmer and he chooses not to repair but to use as boat moorings does he still have to pay CRT for end of garden mooring (is that what it is referred to).

you know what ... my mum used to say ... if you can't say anything nice then keep quiet .... but you know what I am not my mother ... so 3million bow thruster users used their bow thrusters at that precious spot where it wasn't needed ...on purpose .... just so that they could cause the damage ... not answering my question .... but trying to reply nicely

..passed loads of farmers fields today where they seem to have lost a lot of land to canal erosion... My question is ...who pays for the repair ... farmer or CRT..

The rights and duties of adjacent landowners (to one another) is one of the many reasons that Lawyers Live In Big Houses.

I'll try the easy case of a river. The farmer already owns the bed to halfway across, and when the river decides to do-its-thing and wash away some of the bank, or deposit some free land on the inside of the bend - well, that's what rivers do.

And another easy case: a canal's Navigation Authority needs to pile-and-dredge. By agreement it might be allowed farm-access for machinery to complete the work and permission to put the canal dredgings behind the new piling, in exchange for the farmer's benefit of effective reinstatement of the previously-collapsed banks.

Someone else can try the extra waterspace caused by the tree blown down by an unseasonal storm, either into the field or into the canal. (etc)

you know what ... my mum used to say ... if you can't say anything nice then keep quiet .... but you know what I am not my mother ... so 3million bow thruster users used their bow thrusters at that precious spot where it wasn't needed ...on purpose .... just so that they could cause the damage ... not answering my question .... but trying to reply nicely

You need to read some more of Bizzards posts. Anyone got a link to one of his wheezes?

Anyway, he's wrong. It's boats mooring up with bowthrusters that erode the offside

Richard

Some of you may know that the vast majority of the river Storts banks are not piled or camp-shedded as are many rivers banks.. Last summer we had one of those enormous ex Olympic games trip boats operating up here. The thing had bow and stern thrusters. It was wheel steered and was often out of control. When this happened and it drifted into the bank, usually in the same spots, they would thrust it off, which eroded and left big hollows in the bank. In one particular place at the tail end of our lock where it would wait while a boat was coming down its stern thruster damaged the bank so bad that it had to be reinforced and back filled for about 20 feet. I think the thing ran at a loss and has not come back this year.

Our boat yard had two wide beams with bow thrusters, and the same thing was happening here. They were told not to use them to shove off with.

There's no need to rev the nuts off an engine to maneuver near the bank or for casting off. The props thrust would not usually direct powerful jets of water at the bank when shoving off to go forwards, the rudder would normally be directing water outwards. Anyone with any sense would shove off with their foot or push off and jump on or use the pole for fear of the prop clouting something being so close to the bank.

Actually many (most?) of the eroded banks in farmers' fields that I've seen have been caused by cattle coming down to the canal to drink. Where this happens does the farmer pay for this facility? I would think that if erosion is caused by cattle, the farmer should repair it, although I've not seen much evidence of this.

This is just idle curiosity...passed loads of farmers fields today where they seem to have lost a lot of land to canal erosion... My question is ...who pays for the repair ... farmer or CRT.. If it is the farmer and he chooses not to repair but to use as boat moorings does he still have to pay CRT for end of garden mooring (is that what it is referred to).

I know of one case where boats are moored entirely over eroded land belonging to a farmer.

BW attempted to charge EoG but have been rebuffed because the land does not belong to them.

BW(CRT) always have the option of piling to reinstate the original boundary but that is more expensive than EoG on two boats.

George ex nb Alton retired

There's a very nice scenic spot just above Little Hallingbury marina by Tednambury lock here on the Stort which is a very popular place to tie up, many boats just come out from the marina, just around the corner to spend the day there. The river at that spot is almost twice as wide as it was a few years ago. Folk banging in stakes too close to the water's edgehave chipped it all away, you can see all the stake marks. It has now almost become a winding hole. The towpath which is only an unmade track has gradually moved over with the erosion, naturally as folk walk around.

But do CRT own that strip of the Offside or has it been eroded away. I think it was on the Ashby where the company markers are well into the field away from the edge.

Edit to add photo

T78gl6p.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

If cows are responsible for some bank erosion there is no point repairing unless cows gonna be banned cos it'll just keep happening..one farmer I knew kept losing baby lambs due to erosion so fenced off all the field next to water and filled water troughs for the little darlings. Bank there now much improved but not really bow thruster area as straight stretch.

It's me, at night, with a spade. I'm building one long marina, an inch at a time. Gonna be a big one, opening late 2032. No elsan, pump out only. Fresh milk straight from the cows, lamb chops available but a bit soggy. Only my new invention of bow "vacuum suckers" allowed.

• Greenie 1

We tried this at Croughton when mooring fees were invented, arguing that as we were moored over the farmers field we shouldn't have to pay mooring fees to BW. I think they muttered that it was their water - anyway, we had to pay (or were convinced we did, which comes to the same thing - we paid, anyway).