Halfords

mayalld

Featured Posts

Or a big ball of string will get you out of trouble. Wound round and around V section pulleys several times tightly and tying off with a reef knot,''left over right and right over left''. Multi-V Polly belts would need the appropriate number per groove of separate strings and knots, don't just wind the string continuously round and around higgledy piggledy on these as it'll all get chopped up and flung off instantly in a big mess. For the string to work and be allowed to grip It is important to relieve the alternator pulley from undue strain by turning most things, or everything off, especially electric fridges.

The traditional solution was a lady's stocking. Probably easier to find a fan belt these days.

The traditional solution was a lady's stocking. Probably easier to find a fan belt these days.

I only every tried that once on an old Mini. And it was tights not a stocking and it failed miserably.

Never had much luck with those temp fan belt jobbies either,

I did your honour, I did.

But old habits die hard - and I knew my way around BBs site. Bowing to your superior knowledge (tugs forelock), I've now saved that site as well - I'll see how prices compare.

Thanks!

I have found Simply to have a larger range in stock, and to have a very quick delivery system. As I said, I used to use BB a lot, then gradually switched as I could more often find what I wanted at Simply

Richard

I may well have some spares surplus to requirements Dave, let me have a look when I get home and if so would happily let you have them/it.

Rob

Thanks for the offer.

Happily, Mrs M has toddled off to a proper auto parts place and procured a belt.

The background is that Stepdaughter and Son-in-Law have suffered two belt failures in a week, and despite setting off with two spares had fitted their last spare belt, leaving them "a little nervous".

After Mrs M bought a belt this morning, they actually found another spare (really, who sets off with three spare fan belts!), so they are less worried now.

If they manage to knacker another belt, Dave's Delivery Service will be heading for the Potteries with the one we now have :-)

I only every tried that once on an old Mini. And it was tights not a stocking and it failed miserably.

Living in the country I once effected a temporary repair to a broken fan belt with.........baler twine!

Phil

Thanks for the offer.

Happily, Mrs M has toddled off to a proper auto parts place and procured a belt.

The background is that Stepdaughter and Son-in-Law have suffered two belt failures in a week, and despite setting off with two spares had fitted their last spare belt, leaving them "a little nervous".

After Mrs M bought a belt this morning, they actually found another spare (really, who sets off with three spare fan belts!), so they are less worried now.

If they manage to knacker another belt, Dave's Delivery Service will be heading for the Potteries with the one we now have :-)

Hi- Would you mind sharing the make and codes of the one you bought. We have a BMC 1.5 and on the maiden voyage, it snapped whilst on the Trent and ever since then the OH complains they're forever slipping

Thanks

Just thought I'd share yet another "Halfords" experience I exposed myself to today. Don't know why I bother really, because I simply KNOW I'm going to be disappointed, but I thought I'd be in with a shout seeing as I actually had a Halford's product reference number for a drive belt.

"Oh, we don't stock that one anymore.", she said.

"I'm not surprised, this sort of thing is very common with your company these days.", I said.

"Sorry.", she said in a manner that suggested it wasn't the first time she'd had to apologise for not stocking something.

No doubt the masochist in me will try again with something else in the future. They must do that surely. Just on the off chance. You never know your luck.

One born every minute more like!

Getting bits for this can be fun. Now fitted with a Leyland 680 Powerplus, from an Atlantean Bus. Thankfully the 680 was used in many different trucks over the years, and I have a very good supplier who can cross reference and source just about anything I have ever needed.

Mountaineer_zpsa81b54aa.jpg

Thanks for the offer.

No problem, saved me a hunt down the back of the calorifier!

Tights and a Mini (and mini skirts) brings back memories, don't think my back would hold up in a Mini these days.

>> 2. The Midget kicks the Spitfire's ass. Always has, always will <<

The thing that amazes me is how s - l - o - w Midgets, Sptifires, MGBs etc are compared with modern cars.

My Skoda turbodiesel would knock spots of any of them, including going round corners. I think it's called "advancing technology".

I don't buy bits for it at Halfrauds, though.

The thing that amazes me is how s - l - o - w Midgets, Sptifires, MGBs etc are compared with modern cars.

My Skoda turbodiesel would knock spots of any of them, including going round corners. I think it's called "advancing technology".

I don't buy bits for it at Halfrauds, though.

S'troo that. All the modifications I have done to my Midget have been to keep up with the traffic

On the other hand, 50MPH in a Midget is far, far faster than in a modern car

Richard

S'troo that. All the modifications I have done to my Midget have been to keep up with the traffic

On the other hand, 50MPH in a Midget is far, far faster than in a modern car

Richard

And 50MPH in a midget is far far far more fun than any modern diesel clonemobile.......yuk.

Tim

It did.

Having googled BMC 1.5 belts, I had concluded that they take a 9mm belt rather than a 13mm, which led me to conclude that I should look for Z section rather than A section (and surely B section is coing to be WAY too wide for the pulley isn't it?)

As I understand it;

A section is 13mm wide at the outside and 8mm deep with a 40 degree angle?

SPA is the same width at the outside, but 2mm deeper with the same angle?

XPA (or SPAX) is same dimensions as SPA but with a toothed inner edge?

My theory is that SPA will provide a greater friction surface for the belt in the groove but could be problematic on the smaller alternator pulley, which SPAX/XPA will provide the extra friction without the risk of binding in the small pulley.

Does that make sense?

I suppose that the question I need to answer is "how wide is each pulley groove" If one of them will only take 10mm, I will need to use SPZX/XPZ, otherwise SPAZ/XPA will be best.

The width of a standard BMC 1.5 alternator belt is 9.5mm, measured across the outer edge, but it is a bit weedy if you are trying to run anything bigger than the O/E 35 amp alternator. I had the main pulley on our boat opened out, and a new wider alternator pulley fitted to take a 13mm belt which will handle a 65amp alternatior without any problems. The water pump seems to cope with the wider belt without any modification.

The specification you require for future replacements is either 9.5 x 1050 for standard pulleys, or 13 x 1050 for the widened pulleys. Halfords used to stock them but since they have taken tem off the shelves, seem unabkle to source them from tyhe spcifictation number any more!!

Edited by David Schweizer

I agree. Halfords only sell bikes as far as I am concerned. I bought my push bike from them in 1966 ( never had one since ) there were no car spare stuff then.

Tim

I had a Saturday job at Halfords in the early sixties. There was some exciting new car stuff like flashing indicator kits to save sticking your arm out of the window and wing mirrors because most new cars didn't come with them fitted. Also Castrol oil, seat covers, touch up paint, ammeters, batteries, spark plugs, driving gloves. I don't remember any filters or drive belts. It seems very similar to what they do now and not much training was required to sell most products.

Paul

A customer asked, "In what aisle could I find the Irish sausages?"

The assistant asks, "Are you Irish?"

The guy, clearly offended, says, "Yes I am, but let me ask you something...

If I had asked for Italian sausage, would you ask me if I was Italian?

Or if I had asked for German Bratwurst, would you ask me if I was German?

Or if I asked for a kosher hot dog would you ask me if I was Jewish?

Or if I had asked for a Taco, would you ask if I was Mexican?

Or if I asked for Polish sausage, would you ask if I was Polish?"

The assistant says, "No, I probably wouldn't."

The guy says, "Well then, just because I asked for Irish sausage, why did you ask me if I'm Irish?"

The assistant replied, "Because you're in Halfords."

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

When I was about 16/17/18 I had a part time job at Halfords and at the time they did stock a good range of parts. The computer system was there but slow and awful for part lookups and we often used the books. Prices weren't great there was the odd good offer and the staff discount made some items very well priced. What always got me was the stocking levels when it came to items such as brake discs where the stock level would often be 3!

The advantage was on a Sunday at 5pm when you needed the part they were open. In terms of points and coils etc. it scares me that the apprentices at work have no idea what to do if the car goes wrong they pay for wiper blades to be fitted. When I started driving (and even now) it wouldn't cross my mind to pay someone to do things like that!

Have to say it was a job I enjoyed!

A customer asked, "In what aisle could I find the Irish sausages?"

The assistant asks, "Are you Irish?"

The guy, clearly offended, says, "Yes I am, but let me ask you something...

If I had asked for Italian sausage, would you ask me if I was Italian?

Or if I had asked for German Bratwurst, would you ask me if I was German?

Or if I asked for a kosher hot dog would you ask me if I was Jewish?

Or if I had asked for a Taco, would you ask if I was Mexican?

Or if I asked for Polish sausage, would you ask if I was Polish?"

The assistant says, "No, I probably wouldn't."

The guy says, "Well then, just because I asked for Irish sausage, why did you ask me if I'm Irish?"

The assistant replied, "Because you're in Halfords."

The reason given for ethnic cleansing is usually that the targeted community is potentially or actually hostile to the "approved" population.[weasel words] Suddenly your neighbour becomes a "danger" to you and your children. In giving in to the FUD, you become as much a victim of political manipulation as the targeted group. Although ethnic cleansing has sometimes been motivated by claims that an ethnic group is literally "unclean" (as in the case of the Jews of medieval Europe), it has generally been a deliberate (if brutal) way of ensuring the complete domination of a region.

The reason given for ethnic cleansing is usually that the targeted community is potentially or actually hostile to the "approved" population.[weasel words] Suddenly your neighbour becomes a "danger" to you and your children. In giving in to the FUD, you become as much a victim of political manipulation as the targeted group. Although ethnic cleansing has sometimes been motivated by claims that an ethnic group is literally "unclean" (as in the case of the Jews of medieval Europe), it has generally been a deliberate (if brutal) way of ensuring the complete domination of a region.

Irish jokes are a class of ethnic jokes, generally based on stereotypes of the Irish people.

A group of Irish jokes originate from the time Ireland was under British colonial rule. The "Irish joke" originates in the simian portrayal of Irish people in British comic magazines of the mid-late 19th century - depicting the Irish as stupid apes given to agrarian and alcohol-fuelled violence against their benevolent and tolerant British masters. Punch magazine was a particular notorious purveyor of this type of comedy. In the context of the 'Laissez Faire' policy of the Great Famine and the following mass displacement of the following three decades, a great many Irish view the Irish joke as, at best, offensive and, at worst, as similar to "nigger" jokes against blacks or holocaust jokes targeted at Jews. All these forms of humour have, at their core, the debasement of their subjects to the point of dehumanising them so that malevolent acts against them are less offensive - or even justifiable.