Canoe in tunnel

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

We came up the North Stratford today and at the last minute as we approached Brandwood tunnel, a chap in an inflatable canoe appeared out of the gloom and pulled in to the side of the canal whilst we passed. He was invisible whilst in the tunnel.

I wanted to point out that this was a stupid thing to do, and that canoes are banned in tunnels, so I looked for the tunnel safety sign, only to find that it now says "Unpowered craft MUST check that the tunnel is clear before entering and display a bright white light in a forward direction". Just for fun at the other end is one of the older signs, still banning unpowered craft.

Our canoeist certainly didn't have a bright white light, and even of he had one, I'd probably have made the assumption that it was another narrowboat, so the only thing that stopped a bloke, without a life-jacket, in a blow-up canoe, tangling with a narrowboat in the depths of the tunnel, was an accident of timing.

This strikes me as incredibly dangerous. I wonder where the change of policy came from, and if boaters were consulted?

MP.

Edited to put Brandwood tunnel on the correct canal.

Edited by MoominPapa

Similar thing in Newbold Tunnel yesterday. Very short, but only vaguely glimpsed the profile of something in there. Turned out the Canoeist was being pulled through by a cyclist on the towpath. Even so, CaRT rules are clear on short tunnels.

People never read past the first page if at all.

Phil

I agree, I suspect many with canoes do not. I noticed the new signs as well, they also recomend that floatation devices be worn (by all not canoeists specifically). It does seem a strange change in policy to allow canoes in tunnels, as has been said it is an accident waiting to happen.

Tunnel lights on boats do not necessarily show the idiots that may be in the canal we rely on them being visible by use of lights .The new wave of thinking is that all others take priority over boat licence holders.

Tunnel lights on boats do not necessarily show the idiots that may be in the canal we rely on them being visible by use of lights .The new wave of thinking is that all others take priority over boat licence holders.

Do canoes not need a license?

yes, although for proper canoeists, membership of one of the governing bodies covers that - Canoe England from memory

I was just wondering why they weren't included as boat license holders in the "priority over boat license holders" phrase.

Presumably the Canoe organisations pay some sort of fee directly to CRT?

We had a scary time at the Falkirk tunnel on the union canal. We arrived and saw a light approaching so pulled in to the side and held the boat on ropes. As the boat passed, we asked the driver if anyone else was following - it was a little steam boat and they tend to hunt in packs - and he said, yes, there was another one coming. He was almost past us by that time so obviously had no intention of warning us. Sure enough, after a wait a little steam boat appeared, with no lights visible. Even knowing he was in the tunnel and that the tunnel has a few wall lights we didn't see him till just before he emerged.

Had we not asked the first boat, there would have been one squashed steam boat!

haggis.

Edited by haggis

Given that the general advice is for your tunnel light to point upwards to illuminate the roof and not blind the helmsman of an oncoming boat just how will I see a canoe. You also need to remember that the helmsman has the body of the boat in front of him and cannot see the water in front for several boat lengths often over 200 feet. The only way to solve this visibility problem will be a high power spotlight aimed at the water some 200 feet in front of the boat, and heaven help anyone coming the other way.

Similar thing in Newbold Tunnel yesterday. Very short, but only vaguely glimpsed the profile of something in there. Turned out the Canoeist was being pulled through by a cyclist on the towpath. Even so, CaRT rules are clear on short tunnels.

I met TWO guys sharing a single canoe in Islington Tunnel in London. No lights, no lifejackets. I had a feeling I could see something ahead of me so I slowed. If I hadn't I might have swamped them.

It does, on the second page, and also says that you must wear a personal floatation device.

So it does. My mistake. A head torch is usually far dimmer than a proper tunnel light though.

. It does seem a strange change in policy to allow canoes in tunnels,.

Not a change in policy. I happen to still have a copy of the November 1997 licence terms and conditions lying about. On the back cover is a list of tunnels open to unpowered craft (including canoes).

There are more now, but of the 17 open at that time, the longest was Bruce at 502 Yards, the longest narrow being Chirk, 459 yards.

So all that has happened is that more are now open to unpowered craft, presumably as there haven't been incidents in those that have traditionally been open.

Conditions of use are still similar, groups of 3 minimum, lights, life jackets etc

yes, although for proper canoeists, membership of one of the governing bodies covers that - Canoe England from memory

I can confirm that, my Canoe England membership covers me for CaRT and EA waters as well as the Broads, it also gives third party insurance.

Having said that I always wear a flotation device when canoeing and the only tunnel I have been through is Bruce Tunnel before the k and A was restored! I don't fancy trying one on a canal used by powered craft!

Having said that I always wear a flotation device when canoeing and the only tunnel I have been through is....

What exactly is the idea of wearing a flotation device whilst canoeing through tunnels with no lights and no-one to warn of approaching 17-tonne narrowboats?

Don't they just go *POP!* when squeezed against the wall?

I think someone should be sent to the other end of the tunnel to stop boats from entering if an unpowered craft (swimmer even?) is gliding silently along in a very dark tunnel.

Edited by Emerald Fox

Not a change in policy. I happen to still have a copy of the November 1997 licence terms and conditions lying about. On the back cover is a list of tunnels open to unpowered craft (including canoes).

There are more now, but of the 17 open at that time, the longest was Bruce at 502 Yards, the longest narrow being Chirk, 459 yards.

So all that has happened is that more are now open to unpowered craft, presumably as there haven't been incidents in those that have traditionally been open.

Conditions of use are still similar, groups of 3 minimum, lights, life jackets etc

Interesting that the Bruce tunnel was open for canoes. When I worked for the British Waterways Board in the 1970s there was a sign at either end of Bruce tunnel saying "No canoes permitted". Of course that was ignored by the annual Devizes to Westminster canoe race - and one of my tasks on the day before the race was to go through the tunnel using a flat to make sure there was no floating obstruction in the tunnel that would damage the canoes - many of which were canvas covered in those days.

Dave

So a boat does not have to use a tunnel light in a tunnel of under 440 yards, (BW bye-laws), but if it is a canoe they require it?

Edited by alan_fincher