Cordless JIgsaw ?

W+T

Featured Posts

How you all didlin, been a cracking bank holiday hasnt it, weather wise anyway.

Now as i am getting my project home this week, fingers crossed i have got myself a new drill/driver set and now need a jigsaw as my old B&D one is naff, never been mad on B&D but it was cheap, now i love Makita and Dewalt but after looking at what jigsaw to get i came across these cordless type, mainly the Bosch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-PST-10-8-LI-Ion-Cordless-Multi-Saw-Jigsaw-Battery-charger-and-kitbox-/231549821963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e971e40b

it has all specs i need as i wont be doing any steel work or anything much thicker than 18mm ply, never have.

So the Q is has anyone got one or used one and what your thought on these or any other cordless jigsaws.

I dont want to go mad as £70ish is enough for one.

wayne :)

i got a makita one that cost me £350 both batteries were shot before 12 months, the one in your link looks interesting, the problem with low cost cordless jigsaws is the length of cut between charges is usually short.

Edited by the barnacle

i got a makita one that cost me £350 both batteries were shot before 12 months, the one in your link looks interesting, the problem with low cost cordless jigsaws is the length of cut between charges is usually short.

Nail on the head..... but this is a good tool, and the battery looks to be a Li-on. I have a cordless drill, same battery spec and it's good.

L

These are the drill i just invested in, hope they last aslong as the Makita multipurpose i had that just packed in, it lasted 3-4 years but i gave it some stick, B&Q for £140ish. used a few times and impressed.

I think i will go the Bosch one i linked to, as said it will do want i want.......hang on in no rush i will look around a bit more, just dont want to go cheap route, they are ok but Makita and Dewalt, but Bosh just seem below par to them.

Agreed, with the limited battery voltage and capacity you might find it frustrating if you don't have a second battery.

I have a Metabo 18V jigsaw, brilliant tool even if heavier than the mains equivalent, and wasn't too pricey as a bare tool, already had the batteries for other kit.

Tim

The Bosch dont have a spare as you say, its good to have two, they are only around £20 for a new one though, but still its how long they last. having second thoughts, i was at first going to get this Makita

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361296132512?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Agreed, with the limited battery voltage and capacity you might find it frustrating if you don't have a second battery.

I have a Metabo 18V jigsaw, brilliant tool even if heavier than the mains equivalent, and wasn't too pricey as a bare tool, already had the batteries for other kit.

Tim

Metabo is my prefered chice for my business tools, today i was looking at a cordless jigsaw they do with 2 batteries for £345.

Maybe cordless tools have moved on since I last bought cheap ones. Why not use corded, more powerful tools from shore-line, inverter or generator? The last option can be frustrating when I plug in the tool, carefully align it, pull the trigger and ... nothing happens as I have omitted to start the generator.

I still use two B&D drills (gold, metal body, 300W?, 1970 vintage), often in a rickety B&D drill press, and a (black, plastic, 800W, 1976)! On the other hand my old, blue B&D jigsaw is rubbish - the blade is not aligned to the soleplate. Even so I have managed some 'interesting' cuts such as an angled letterbox in a two inch thick door (2.5" depth of cut) by carefully cutting from both sides. BTW, I did not drill pilot holes, tipping the power jigsaw onto the front of the sole-plate I carefully introduced the blade into the measured, marked cut. Also a, very slow, very noisy (ear defenders essential) 4" diameter hole in the ~1/8"+ cast iron top cover of a Parkray solid fuel stove.

I also have a hand drill (¼" chuck) that is good up to ~3/8" in steel with a reduced shank bit (after a 1/8" pilot drill) and a hand-brace that can cut holes in timber (including ply) to a couple of inches diameter and any depth much faster and cleaner than any power tool. Not to mention my pad-saw, hand fret-saw (both take wood and metal cutting blades) and a good set of Marples wood chisels and metal chisels from ¼" to 1". I can rip through timber faster or cut a joint (excepting dovetails) faster or more accurately with an appropriate hand-saw than any power tool except my small chain-saw that gets through a 9" diameter log in as many, or less seconds.

The quality, suitability, sharpness and cooling (not lubrication) of the cutting blade is more important than the motive power. Better to learn how to sharpen tools/blades than repeatedly buy new ones. There are devices that help. Even a broken bit can be sharpened and may, in the future, provide a short bit, less likely to be broken and, maybe, convenient in a confined space.

Cordless tools are a necessity on sites where power is not available. A cordless screwdriver/drill may get you through an eight hour day with two batteries but I doubt a cordless jig-saw or circular saw (much better for straight, deep cuts) will. Even if you have a fast-charger and 240V power you may be better advised to use corded tools. Chances are that a small (quietish) generator and suitably powered tools would suit you better

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

Depends what you are using it for, for how long, and where, etc etc.

My understanding is that the green colour Bosch tools are the 'diy' spec and that the turquoise coloured ones are the better quality range.

Daniel

If you are doing serious work you need a corded saw. I suggest the De Walt 331K and some of the hollow ground

blades for wood cutting (Bosch T 308B) Cost will be about £130.00 but worth every penny in my experience.

The battery powered tool will be worthless when the battery is shot whereas the corded tool will work reliably

for years and not stop you half way through a sheet!

Cheap and nasty tools only make a fit out harder to do, in the illustration even the blade seems to be the wrong way round in the battery tool.

The easy way is hard work why make it worse?

If you go cordless get the same make and voltage as your drill/driver so you can share batteries.

trouble is thought the Dewalt drill/driver i have dont do the 10.6v cordless jigsaw. Would be good if they did though.

Its only for hobby use now and then so a cordless should do.....? but not the daft money ones, i mean like to get the £70 Bosch as i linked to.

If anyone wants a solid cordless jigsaw for DIY money, I have a Milwaukee that I bought secondhand some years ago but never really used - I couldn't really get on with the slider switch. I don't think the previous owner used it much, either.

I'll try to dig it out in the next couple of days and see how the battery is.

Tim

If you do decide to get a Bosch cordless jigsaw, why not get the 18v one? they are the same price (£79.99) from Clas Ohlson, or actually only about £72 if you decide to order one straight away, as they have a 10% discount on today (use code CLAS30447).

I have a couple of the tools in this range and they are pretty good for my (DIY) purposes. The Li batteries last quite a while, and you can get a spare and put it on charge while using the tool.

But NB- if you do want a spare battery don't buy it from Ohson as you can get them cheaper elsewhere.