licensing fun

Jess--

Featured Posts

I have just bought a boat (agreed purchase on friday but made the payment today) which is currently unlicensed but is currently in the brokers wharf at crick and under their "trade plate"

the boat is currently having some minor work done for the safety cert (and obviously cannot be licensed before that is complete and a pass issued)

my problem is trying to work out what should be paid for licensing

at 43 feet the price should be £779.69 (or £701.72 with prompt payment)

here is my problem, I don't know how long the boat has been unlicensed for (paperwork is on the boat which is around 150 miles away)

The broker is happy for the boat to remain in it's current position for 2 weeks which takes it through to the 1st of next month, suits perfectly when I can actually get time on the boat to move it and gives a few days for traffic to ease after the crick show.

can I license the boat from the 1st of next month and get the prompt payment price (as it will not be leaving the wharf before that date) or will I have to license it from the 1st of this month and pay the higher price.

worse still will I have to pay the extra £150 charge if CRT think the boat has been unlicensed on their waterway for over a month (assuming the old license expired at around the same time as the safety cert it has been unlicensed since October but as yet I have no knowledge of dates or where the boat was)

it seems to me that a 12 month license could cost me anything from £701.72 and having the full 12 months to £929.69 and having a license that is valid for under 6 months.

I have just bought a boat (agreed purchase on friday but made the payment today) which is currently unlicensed but is currently in the brokers wharf at crick and under their "trade plate"

the boat is currently having some minor work done for the safety cert (and obviously cannot be licensed before that is complete and a pass issued)

my problem is trying to work out what should be paid for licensing

at 43 feet the price should be £779.69 (or £701.72 with prompt payment)

here is my problem, I don't know how long the boat has been unlicensed for (paperwork is on the boat which is around 150 miles away)

The broker is happy for the boat to remain in it's current position for 2 weeks which takes it through to the 1st of next month, suits perfectly when I can actually get time on the boat to move it and gives a few days for traffic to ease after the crick show.

can I license the boat from the 1st of next month and get the prompt payment price (as it will not be leaving the wharf before that date) or will I have to license it from the 1st of this month and pay the higher price.

worse still will I have to pay the extra £150 charge if CRT think the boat has been unlicensed on their waterway for over a month (assuming the old license expired at around the same time as the safety cert it has been unlicensed since October but as yet I have no knowledge of dates or where the boat was)

it seems to me that a 12 month license could cost me anything from £701.72 and having the full 12 months to £929.69 and having a license that is valid for under 6 months.

These type of questions are best answered by the licence team at Leeds, give em a bell they are very helpful.

You will get a load of often conflicting advice on here.

We bought our bout out of licence and on trade plates at the end of May last year. I phoned Leeds as Martin suggest and was sold a 12 licence with early payment discount. They were very easy to deal with. I am not sure how long it had been out of licence but it did have a current safety certificate.

My experience recently.

I've just licensed our boat which we purchased mid April. It was on trade plates when we purchased her and I used that number and the original index number on my licence application.

I was told over the phone that as long as my application was in the post I could use the boat.

About 5 days later I received an email with all my details and my new licence. No problems. Later that day I received the following

We are writing to inform you that your boat was unlicensed for a period of time and this has been checked by our team. Your new licence start date is 01/05/2015.

Yours sincerely,

Boat licensing Team

I have not checked but am assuming all is well otherwise I would have been sent the bill.

We bought our boat on 28/2 and the licence had run out a few months before. We wanted to licence if from 1/3 but couldn't pay in advance to get the prompt payment discount as it was the weekend. I had phoned the licensing department a few days earlier (when we weren't sure if the purchase would go ahead or not) and they said that was no problem. I had the form filled in ready and posted it off with a cheque on the Monday. Pleasant hassle free dealings with C&RT.

haggis

If I understand your post right, you are not liable for the previous owners licence. All the time its on the brokers trade plate you don't have to pay. The day you leave the brokerage, you start your new licence.

This is correct, or at least it was last year when I bought my boat from a brokerage.

Congrats Jess-- on getting yourself back on the water BTW smile.png .

Thanks for the comments.

Have now spoken with CRT licensing and they have said that as long as the boat is licensed within 2 weeks of taking ownership there is no issue with licensing it from the 1st of June and we still get the prompt payment discount.

so that's all sorted.

Looking forward to getting back on the water