A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

It took longer than i thought as i had to wait 15  mins for the first coat to set :rolleyes:

So....

tn_20170619_165240.jpg  

tn_20170619_165622.jpg

tn_20170619_165230.jpg

I ddint manage to get in the nooks and crannies as i dont have a brush, it was all rollered on.

tn_20170619_165304.jpg

Nothin will be lrft on top now, cant be getting it dirty or scratched hey :)

tn_20170619_165510.jpg

Anchor locker now with a 12mm drain hole drilled to the left.

tn_20170619_165538.jpg 

Below rear deck/bilge area. I need to fit the battery tray and water pump for the system drain and shower again. welll i am going to make a tray for the pump, i was going to use Plywood but Ally will be better.

tn_20170619_165431.jpg

I work fast nowadays lol.

I am undecided on what to do with the rear deck, either a paint it and fit a 3mm anti slip rubber mat on top, just dont want to block the deck drains to much.. Or Anti slip paint it.

Next job besides blasting and finishing the pain is to finish the gas works and last bit of plumbing for the water heater. Then i can try it out :)

• Greenie 2

20 hours ago, rasputin said:

Wooden slatting, let's the water flood out 

Nah dont like the looks of that, to much like garden decking worked needed to treat it lke the Sapele i have already on the boat.

Unless i can be convinced ;)

19 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

All those tools and you haven't got a brush? Get down to Poundland man.

Tell me about it, i get them from the local bargain shop for laminating as the odd bristle loss i can cope with but not when painting with this Jotun paint. Sets quicker than resin lol.

seriousley though i cant believe i have ran out.

I bought a cracking paint brush at a stupid price to flat out once rolled the paint but this paint is hard to apply with this method, so i used it for the top of the bulkhead until i got the rollers.

I washed it in acetone and the bristles now fell out lol. yes i should of known, what a rodders  :rolleyes:

Just not organised nowadays to get jobs done properly. I even had to scrounge the rollers of a mate.  

1 hour ago, W+T said:

Nah dont like the looks of that, to much like garden decking worked needed to treat it lke the Sapele i have already on the boat.

Unless i can be convinced ;)

No need to treat,your personal choice if you don't like it, but nice to have something to lift your feet off the wet in the rain, less water in the boat 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, rasputin said:

No need to treat,your personal choice if you don't like it, but nice to have something to lift your feet off the wet in the rain, less water in the boat 

Dont get me wrong i like  wood, a lot. I will look into it a bit more.

The rear deck will drain off pretty good i hope as it has a good slope, well it does as it sits level and the rear end in usually lower when afloat, forgot what gradient there is to the rear deck drains, but it a lot. 

I would just paint it and put some rubber mat down until it is in the water. If it sits arse down and the water drains to the back you can then paint it with non slip at a later date.

I think though that like most small boats it will have a tendency to sit bow down.

• Greenie 1

I got on with the sandblasting the below water line area this weekend.

I knew it would be bad and in need of a fair bit of work so not a big surprise but heck it cant be any worse now. 

I wrapped the hull in tarp to keep the media in from going all over the neighborhood, kitted out with overalls/mask/goggles etc etc i set to. I did break he blast pot as whilst pulling the tanks outside i caught the lower valve and snapped it and as it is a twin tank set up i spent an hour trying to fix that but the 3/8BSP T fitting i snapped was not budging so in the end i capped off the tank and used one. 

Anyway from the boring bits straight to the results, i only managed to get half the boat done as i ran out of media and i have no sieve to reuse the media again yet. So just swept it up and bagged it for next time.

Delamination areas

image: https://s5.postimg.org/kte2xvi2v/tn_20170625_173045.jpg

tn_20170625_173045.jpg

What looks like osmosis, there is a few large areas like this.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/6loe985dz/tn_20170625_173049.jpg

tn_20170625_173049.jpg

Cavitys and plenty of old patchs that need redoing better.

image: https://s5.postimg.org/vk6axal3b/tn_20170625_173101.jpg

tn_20170625_173101.jpg

image: https://s5.postimg.org/vy7mww56v/tn_20170625_173121.jpg

tn_20170625_173121.jpg

This is about 12 inch long

image: https://s5.postimg.org/a7yszm153/tn_20170625_173230.jpg

tn_20170625_173230.jpg

The thought here is best to sheath it over up with woven and poly resin to either the top chine or above water line and blend in below the lower strake when i fit it. 

I am glad i blasted it as once the blast pot was set up correct the blasting showed up all the cavities and area that are thin. Still will go over with a toffee hammer to see if i can fined more.

Big job ahead, and the biggest yet i would say.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, W+T said:

Big job ahead, and the biggest yet i would say.

However, perhaps the most straightforward? In so far as it's 'just' laying up acres of mat?

Great job as always btw. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

However, perhaps the most straightforward? In so far as it's 'just' laying up acres of mat?

Great job as always btw. 

Ah but still need to fill the voids, they are deep and need to be filled before sheathing over, so more filling and sanding.

And laminating upside down is not my choice of  jobs. 

Still it will then be ready to be painted and........dare i say launch it......nah lol 

57 minutes ago, W+T said:

Ah but still need to fill the voids, they are deep and need to be filled before sheathing over, so more filling and sanding.

That's what orbital sanders & dust masks were made for ;)

I've been sanding acres of utile recently... messy bloody job.

20 hours ago, WotEver said:

That's what orbital sanders & dust masks were made for ;)

I've been sanding acres of utile recently... messy bloody job.

:( bloody hate sanding now after the boat. I will be getting a good DA for the compressor/s I am posh now as i also have overalls :)

Going to get one of these kits for it and it will come for when i restore the car ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Palm-DA-Orbital-Sander-150MM-6-Mini-DA-Action-Air-Sander-75mm-Burisch-/152303732744?hash=item2376028808:g:h3IAAOSwMVdYGlkl

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not the end of the world and a relatively easy fix compared to some of the other jobs you have tackled. :cheers:

Just not easy to laminate upside down Rach, but i will sort it ;)

I am looking forward o it now as if i missed a spot by repair patches i would not forgive myself, so sheathing it over is the best way to go. I knew this would happen from the start so dont know why i was so bothered. 

Turn the boat upside down. Simples ;)

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

Oooh, there's posh for you!

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Turn the boat upside down. Simples ;)

Oooh, there's posh for you!

I will  have probably spent as much on tools as i have on the boat by time i have finished it, cant help myself :) Still it will all come in for the nextproject :)

Believe me i though of that and turning the boat, i almost started to design and build a spit for it lol..........Now you getting me thing again. 

In fact i had a dream that it fell over and i said to T `oh well at least i can do an easier job on the hull now` lol 

I had a cousin who completely rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine. To make the floor pan repairs simpler he put a load of tyres and blankets on the floor down one side of his garage and rolled the car onto its side. He then spent many happy hours metal bashing (no original panels available) and welding them in. All in reasonable comfort. Then rolled it back again. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I had a cousin who completely rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine. To make the floor pan repairs simpler he put a load of tyres and blankets on the floor down one side of his garage and rolled the car onto its side. He then spent many happy hours metal bashing (no original panels available) and welding them in. All in reasonable comfort. Then rolled it back again. 

was you meaning to put this reply in the Boat turning jig thread. Or is it a coincidence. 

I just dont the thought of it being not in control. There are a few ways to roll it, another being to make two profile plates joined together so it can roll on them. Still not keen on that way.  

10 minutes ago, W+T said:

was you meaning to put this reply in the Boat turning jig thread. Or is it a coincidence

Yep, totally intentional. 

These days you can buy circular jigs that bolt onto the car's hubs and enable you to roll it very easily. Fabricating something like that for the boat would, I'd think, be far more trouble than it's worth. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Yep, totally intentional. 

These days you can buy circular jigs that bolt onto the car's hubs and enable you to roll it very easily. Fabricating something like that for the boat would, I'd think, be far more trouble than it's worth. 

i see it as much like the cradles i made but bigger scale and a steel disc and cable with winch to turn it over and pin in place. 

I always see things as being just another project and more fun :) 

You should be used to me by now kida, like to make work for myself dont i lol