A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

A new name maybe Rach lol.

They do have a good cabin space, the reason i chose it. But still you can never have enough room.

Shame about the hot tub :( next boat maybe :)

Opposite the oven at the bottom of the cupboard i am having to leave a spot for Zig to sit and at times sleep when she is not on the deck at night. It will be tight with her aswell as us but I cant leave her at home all the time when we are living the dream.

Today`s jobs was to finish the locker frames first. I have been meaning to do this for months now. And still not finished as now instead of using 18mm marine ply I am going to make a sheet of 6mm GRP and use that, good job there is on rush.

tn_20170121_110325.jpg?2&j

tn_20170121_110302.jpg

Now then the galley,

As I said in the last update I wanted to move the oven back a little, well by about 12 inch. Make s alot of difference as now the seating is a lot better and the berth near 6`6" long.

Time to re`sett the battens. Just a matter to move the end battens back, this gives more of a curve to the worktop now , not a bad thing hey Richard ;)

First the top batten

tn_20170121_111805.jpg

tn_20170121_111859_001.jpg

I used some long battens to check the curve of all the horizontals were the same.

tn_20170121_121811_0.jpg

tn_20170121_123612.jpg

Then a case of moving the oven base over.

tn_20170121_115146.jpg

The base needed a trim back a little but I cut a bit more for more ventilation for the oven.

tn_20170121_114954.jpg

Underneath will be storage.

tn_20170121_115014.jpg

Once the oven was in situ i used some 6mm ply to make a template for whn i decide on the work top, It is still planned to use Sapele.

The sink was next to mark out for the fitting. Easy bit as just a matter to decide where ( not that there is much choice ) then drawing around the sink rim and 12mm less for the rim to sit on.

tn_20170121_135330.jpg

Good work bench the new rear deck. I need to stop cutting into it though duh

tn_20170121_135857.jpg

Drill first for the Jigsaw blade to fit.

tn_20170121_135914.jpg

Steady as you go, better to cut less of if you are not to good with a Jigsaw. Can always trim more off but not add more on ;)

tn_20170121_140036.jpg

And there we go, sink in situ now :) feeling better about this more and more now.

tn_20170121_154747.jpg

tn_20170121_151840.jpg

I finished early as my knee and hands were killing me, i managed to get the galley storage lined out.

The unit is lined with 4mm ply and the rear panel is removable in case I need to the water tank access hatch.

tn_20170121_172449.jpg

tn_20170121_172501.jpg

tn_20170121_172514.jpg

One the left side of the oven I an going to add a folding worktop in case more work space is needed. A lift up and slide down type.

The main cupboard is ok where it is as I was going to angle it back a little for a more wider walk through. I may well decide different by tomorrow so we will see.

The right hand side of the worktop up to the bulkhead will be for cutlery and plate storage. That could be tomorrows job.

Opposite the oven at the bottom of the cupboard i am having to leave a spot for Zig to sit and at times sleep when she is not on the deck at night. It will be tight with her aswell as us but I cant leave her at home all the time when we are living the dream.

who is Zig?

must be the wife, no? cool.png

• Greenie 1

who is Zig?

must be the wife, no? cool.png

One of the loves of my life, Zig is my baby girl :). the wife ( T ) is the scary one lol.

20160911_131552_0.jpg

20160829_165210.jpg

Norty ohmy.png

He is just being brave as he is to far away for a clobbering lol.

Zig's gorgeous smile.png

I have to agree :)

Update :(

After a long naff day at work I am now chilling out, no work being done on the boat tonight or for the next few weeks...if can help it. Have to admit it got me down this weekend with the bloody leak in the cabin top again sad.png I though i had sorted it but nope.

It is dripping from where the new hatch surround meets the old aperture. I have got an idea to try and find where it is coming in by working section by section I will DPM sheet and gaffer tape a few square foot at a time to help narrow down the search area.

I have a feeling it is the area behind the hatch, if I find it is there, infact where ever it is and I can pinpoint it ( unlikely ) I will fill it as per usual. If it is not posiible to pinpoint the hole then i will Flowcoat the whole area. Some thing i was not wanting to do a sit is a long tedious job.

One excuse for resting from doing the boat is this Saturday me and T are off for a near 600 mile drive to collect the project and stop off at Gazza`s as he has been an amazing chap again and donated an engine for the boat. Gazza is a chap that restores my faith in people wink.png

Cheers kida I ow you big time wink.png

Now this is all the bits I have done.

The Houdini seals have failed, i tried Creeping Crack a good few times but it didnt last so it is a choice of a new one ( at that price i think not ) or find another typeto fit which is the 50x50. there area few types around but all expensive.

First choice is the try to reseal it. Easy part is disassembling it. A few clamps to sprad the frame. Not to much though as you dont want to buckle it but just enough to get the glass out.

tn_20170115_105339.jpg

tn_20170115_105329.jpg

tn_20170116_190108.jpg

Wedge it open then spread the other way

tn_20170116_190401.jpg

Easy.....once i got my finger from trapping it between the frame and glass duh

The frame will stay open a little but as said need to be carfull bot to buckle it.

tn_20170116_191908.jpg

lots of small ally screws to remove carefully

tn_20170116_184848.jpg

This is the expensive seal at £35 but there are others that can be used. This wasnt in bad knick but still i removed it and will get a new one.

Once the glass seal is removed the channel will need cleaning out. A small wire wjeel in a drill does the job perfic wink.png

tn_20170128_101943.jpg

tn_20170128_101856_001.jpg

tn_20170128_101953.jpg

Clean the frame with acetone

tn_20170128_110521.jpg

I have missed out the disaster i had with the using a new U section rubber seal as it was not going to plan at all. The seal would not stay in place so nothing to lose i spaced out the frame with 4mm SS screws cut down. This keeps the glass central when the frame is closed back up.

tn_20170128_112450.jpg

Pigin nora, cant find the rest of my pics sad.png

Well to explain, a blob of sealant to hold the spacers in place, two each side in the channel. Fill the channel with sealant and slide the glass in. messy but if you use enough sealant I am sure it will work.

I sat it on a tub and pushed down the frame onto the glass, not a lot but enough the push out a little sealant to make sure it is all covered.

I will leave it to set for a few days then trim back and clean back with a stanly blade.

tn_20170129_115842.jpg

I may well trim it tomorrow. An idea to see ifit leaks now is to set it to one side a fill it to the brim with water and see if it seeps through over a week.

Now then the galley. I had to make some adjustments to the oven casing as I was going to by a sheet of brushed SS to line out. I decided to be a tight git and use the one that came of the boat when i ripped it out. yes something was salvageable. If it wasnt aluminium I dont think of would of made the years sat in the field though.

tn_20170128_132221.jpg

It has a spacing in 16mm tothe casing then a further 12mm to the wooden case.

tn_20170128_141113.jpg

Plenty of all round ventilation at the bottom.

tn_20170128_155001.jpg

It will not need a gimbal kit so i will be fixing it down with the brackets to fix solid.

I will be still getting some SS sheet to make a riser around the hob up to the gunnel and back part of that will go all thw way up between the windows to the eyeball down light. A splash back in all effects.

I will be still getting some SS sheet to make a riser around the hob uptothe gunnel and back part of that will go all thw way up between the windows to the eyeball down light. A splash back in all effects.

tn_20170128_155108.jpg

The only other thing I had a go at is making a Bow point. I want to do it from SS and build in a Bow roller. That didnt go to well as the 4mm ply I was using to make the template kept on breaking so I gave that up for now.

So thats about it for now.

Nothing has yet been done on the cruiser but I will be later as yesterday we popped down to Gazza`s as he has donated an engine and parts now to the build. ( cant be greatull enough smiley.png ) That was along with a bloody great roll of Combo matt for another project we picked up. Good job we have an estate LOL.

The other project is a dinghy mould which we collected from Grays, it is around 10x4, not measured it yet. It is not to bad a mould. He said it was perfect ready to use but I guess my perfect is different from other folks.

It has a little crazing in one area about 8inch diameter. And old repairs do have a little roughness about quarter inch by half inch long in two areas. Easy fettle thoiugh.

Over all I am happy with it. I need to clean out the pound area of all car rubbish/parts and garage panels before I can put it in there. for now its at my friends over the road.

tn_20170205_130953.jpg

tn_20170205_131940.jpg

tn_20170205_132000.jpg

tn_20170205_133137.jpg

Dont forget Gazza if you want one I will be happy to nock one up for you FOC wink.png

The chap I got it off is a Marine Surveyor and he said that he has made over 20 dinghys from it and found that two 650g is plenty. keeps the weight down to less than 20kg and still strong. I was surprised a si would of gone wiht al teast three 650grm with more on the keel and stress areas.

I maywell add a buoyancy tank in the center in the built in seat which I will making a mould for.

I am off now to pinch a wheelie bin so i can sort the engine out smiley.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rach not much I am afraid but what I have been doing is spending :) 

Lets see.

The hatch leaked again after its reseal once I filled the frame with water it leaked over night. Plan now is for me to make a new hatch myself. 

Easy enough. I will try to use the hinges and locks from the Houdini and use 10mm Acrylic. Maybe also the Houdini bars. Not all to keen on them but we will see.

When i was doing the plumbing i forgot all about fitting in a flexi joint between the tanks. Reason they are needed is incase they move whilst the boat is in transit and disturb the pipe work. Only downside of using solid pipe work. 

I have a got a new Shurflo main system pump inplace and more fittings ordered. Still need to decide on taps so we can test the system once all in place.

Productive part is i have near dome the insulating in the bow, i have been doing it bit by bit, no rush as a wee problem has arose again.

PROBLEM

I am at the end of my tether i think. I am a calm chap most the time. But now i am getting my tits off.

The boat has  little seepage still. I thought i had sorted it months ago but it has come back and after weeks of racking my brain as to where it is coming in i have near give up.

It was dripping in, VERY slightly from here ( wheer is marked it with a small hole so easier to see ) last year and i found that i had missed a very small area that needed to be filled about 4 foot up the cabin top.

It was the left hand side just in front of the insulation.

tn_20170225_150130.jpg

tn_20170225_150217.jpg 

It started AGAIN in roughly the same place but maybe 8 mm higher.

It only drips very slightly after a lot of rain but still it leaks.

I did this about 3  few week ago to the hatch housing ( hatch has been removed as it knackered ) and it didnt stop so then i did the rear section and it stopped and i thought i had got it as it had stopped. Just a matter to topcoat the rear section or laminate over it. 

tn_20170225_150010.jpg

tn_20170225_150019.jpg

BUT NO

the other day it started again and i am now lost as to where the water is getting in as i have been all around the cabin top with a fine tooth comb to see any cracks ect i have missed.

One idea i have which i will be trying out asap.

If i get a piece of material  ( in this case prob stainless steel plate ) and fit a trye valve into it and Sikaflex it over the hole that is in the boat ( where the drip is coming from ) then use a car tyre pump to pump air into the area it will hopefully bubble when i run water over the cabin top. 

This is very disheartening but i will sort it one way or another and i dont really want to flocoat the boat BIG job.

4 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi Rach not much I am afraid but what I have been doing is spending :) 

Lets see.

The hatch leaked again after its reseal once I filled the frame with water it leaked over night. Plan now is for me to make a new hatch myself. 

Easy enough. I will try to use the hinges and locks from the Houdini and use 10mm Acrylic. Maybe also the Houdini bars. Not all to keen on them but we will see.

When i was doing the plumbing i forgot all about fitting in a flexi joint between the tanks. Reason they are needed is incase they move whilst the boat is in transit and disturb the pipe work. Only downside of using solid pipe work. 

I have a got a new Shurflo main system pump inplace and more fittings ordered. Still need to decide on taps so we can test the system once all in place.

Productive part is i have near dome the insulating in the bow, i have been doing it bit by bit, no rush as a wee problem has arose again.

PROBLEM

I am at the end of my tether i think. I am a calm chap most the time. But now i am getting my tits off.

The boat has  little seepage still. I thought i had sorted it months ago but it has come back and after weeks of racking my brain as to where it is coming in i have near give up.

It was dripping in, VERY slightly from here ( wheer is marked it with a small hole so easier to see ) last year and i found that i had missed a very small area that needed to be filled about 4 foot up the cabin top.

It was the left hand side just in front of the insulation.

tn_20170225_150130.jpg

tn_20170225_150217.jpg 

It started AGAIN in roughly the same place but maybe 8 mm higher.

It only drips very slightly after a lot of rain but still it leaks.

I did this about 3  few week ago to the hatch housing ( hatch has been removed as it knackered ) and it didnt stop so then i did the rear section and it stopped and i thought i had got it as it had stopped. Just a matter to topcoat the rear section or laminate over it. 

tn_20170225_150010.jpg

tn_20170225_150019.jpg

BUT NO

the other day it started again and i am now lost as to where the water is getting in as i have been all around the cabin top with a fine tooth comb to see any cracks ect i have missed.

One idea i have which i will be trying out asap.

If i get a piece of material  ( in this case prob stainless steel plate ) and fit a trye valve into it and Sikaflex it over the hole that is in the boat ( where the drip is coming from ) then use a car tyre pump to pump air into the area it will hopefully bubble when i run water over the cabin top. 

This is very disheartening but i will sort it one way or another and i dont really want to flocoat the boat BIG job.

Chuck a bucketfull of Captain Tolley's at  it!

Edited by rusty69

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Water leaks  are a pain in the arse. 

Got one on my car. Can't for the life of us find it but when it rains heavy the rear footwell on the passenger side gets wet.

Have you checked the drain holes in the engine bay/bulkhead? 

30 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Water leaks  are a pain in the arse. 

Got one on my car. Can't for the life of us find it but when it rains heavy the rear footwell on the passenger side gets wet.

If it's a citroen picasso, I know why, and how to cure it. The Little under floor boxes in the rear were part filled with water.

Easy and cheap fix.