Can you help? Body recovered from the Grand Union Canal.

Featured Posts

We are carrying out an investigation after the body of a female was recovered from the Grand Union Canal on Sunday, 10 May.

The body was found in a suitcase in the canal, near to Delamere Terrace, W2, after we were called by a member of the public, at 14:35.

At this stage one of our key priorities is to identify the deceased and work out how long the body may have been in the canal.

I am really keen to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard anything suspicious over the last two weeks to get in touch. The visitor moorings along Delamere Terrace, Little Venice, are really popular and the bank holiday weekend was particularly busy.

If you think you may have information that may help us please get in touch with my team on 020 8785 8244, or call Crimestoppers, anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Until this is made a temporary sticky, please can we keep bumping the thread. I'm sure there are members who must have been around the area that might be able to help.

I hope there is a quick response. Thoughts to her family.

Could someone identify the location in canal terms? Between bridge numbers, or alongside something wharf - that kind of thing?

Richard

Delamere Terrace is the street that runs alongside the Little Venice visitor moorings. It is crossed by a footbridge and at the end (the entrance to the Pool of Venice) by a road bridge.

Delamere Terrace is the street that runs alongside the Little Venice visitor moorings. It is crossed by a footbridge and at the end (the entrance to the Pool of Venice) by a road bridge.

The body was found by Halfpenny Bridge which is the footbridge that crosses over by the Waterway Pub, three hundred meters west of the entarnce into Brownings Pool/Westbourne Terrace Road Bridge.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

From under a photo: " The (Police) force is treating the death as 'suspicious'. "

Police conference

Journalist: 'Are you treating this death as suspicious then?'

Police: ' Yes'

Journalist writes: 'The (Police) force is treating the death as 'suspicious'.'

Public laughs

Richard

Thank you for all of your comments and assistance with this matter.

A man has now been charged with murder.

He was arrested on Monday, 11 May with two other men who have since been bailed whilst enquiries continue.

We are now satisfied the deceased is Marta Ligman, 23, a Polish national of Buckingham Road, Brent. We have informed the next of kin.

Our enquiries remain ongoing and if you have any further information that may assist us please call my team on 020 8785 8244 or the police non-emergency line on 101.

Thank you again for your support in this investigation.

Carl

Thank you for all of your comments and assistance with this matter.

A man has now been charged with murder.

He was arrested on Monday, 11 May with two other men who have since been bailed whilst enquiries continue.

We are now satisfied the deceased is Marta Ligman, 23, a Polish national of Buckingham Road, Brent. We have informed the next of kin.

Our enquiries remain ongoing and if you have any further information that may assist us please call my team on 020 8785 8244 or the police non-emergency line on 101.

Thank you again for your support in this investigation.

Carl

Very good of you to get back to us, so many people who ask for help don't bother.

Very good of you to get back to us, so many people who ask for help don't bother.

Indeed. Thank you for updating us.

We need to keep bumping this as there may be people who are currently out cruising who aren't aware of this and may possibly have information.

Janet

Indeed. Thank you for updating us.

We need to keep bumping this as there may be people who are currently out cruising who aren't aware of this and may possibly have information.

Janet

In which case. Bump!

Janet

Quite.

I've not been following this closely as I've got a lot on at the moment, but i think I'm right in saying that i saw the time frame of 2 weeks somewhere for the period of time they were appealing to people/boaters who might have been in the area. That period includes the IWA Cavalcade at Little Venice and i would imagine that the Paddington Arm of the GU sees it's highest traffic of the year in the days either side of the show.