Contact sport?

Ray T

Featured Posts

Rank amateurs.

The boat seems to be a tad over powered which isn't helping.

One doesn't have to use all available power. It's there for when it's needed. Although I agree, in the hands of these people the power will most likely be abused.

Edited by blackrose

Rank amateurs.

One doesn't have to use all available power. It's there for when it's needed.

I know. Assuming one knows when. A small Bukh put-put engine or similar would at least reduce the impact and create time to correct mistakes.

• Greenie 1

Should send those to the hire boat company. Lots of errors in both of these. I think the problem with day boats is that they try to get as far as they can, so rush everywhere and quite often (as in the first one) too many people trying to control the boat.

Amusing yet terrifying to we GRP owners who would be matchwood if it was our 'Darlings' that these idiots smashed into!

Approaching blind bends and bridges with that much speed on is madness. If the girls sitting on the top of the first boat had been thrown into the water who knows how it might have ended?

On the first video why is one person steering and another person on the throttle.

Because they're youngsters having a laugh.

In the second clip the boat is listing to port quite a bit when passing through the narrowing. I wonder how many people were on board.

Two I reckon, both fat, both stood on the same side.

In the second clip the boat is listing to port quite a bit when passing through the narrowing. I wonder how many people were on board.

Probably just the two - they are both standing well to the left-hand side, and if the boat is "tender" then she'll heel over.

I was expecting something dramatic from the videos but frankly I've seen much worse in real life.

Agreed. Its largely inexperience showing through - we were all newbies once. In the first clip he would have been fine if he had just carried on, but he cut the revs, lost steering and the rest was pretty inevitable.

Some years ago we hired a day trip boat and it was the worst thing I have ever steered. It took real concentration to keep it going in a straight line - just a moment's inattention and you were heading for the bank. Give me a Big Woolwich any day!

I saw one a few days ago trying to turn around in the winding point, bumping back and forth, with a little kid no older than 5 or 6 running up and down the roof (no life jacket).

Because they're youngsters having a laugh.

I can remember three of us sat in the front of a Citroen BMX or whatever, one doing the accelerator, one the clutch and one the gearstick.

We were having a laugh. Many years ago though. Nissed as pewts

It was okay, short journey to the next pub.

Edited by Nightwatch

I thought both videos a bit tame.

The worst bit of dayboating we ever saw was on the Bristol Avon, two NB day boats having a race running flat out, both overloaded (picked up mates round the corner). They kept colliding with each other as well as parked boats. They eventually slowed down when the "crew" of one boat nearly sunk it by standing on the gunwales are rocking it until near tipping point. At this point we caught up with them, took phone number and phoned up their base.

Probably just the two - they are both standing well to the left-hand side, and if the boat is "tender" then she'll heel over.

Maybe, but rare to see a day boat with only two aboard. They may have left their mates at the pub, or knocked them overboard at the previous lift bridge!!

Rank amateurs.

Or..... Professional Morons.

Let's hope these videos have been sent to the rental companies, boat damage assessed, deposits forfit, extra charge for wilful damage made, culprits birched.

Why do people take to the canals if they're in such a hurry? Why not just strap a jet engine to the roof and really get going?

On the first video why is one person steering and another person on the throttle.

Because that's what they usually do going up the M1 in rental cars ?

I was expecting something dramatic from the videos but frankly I've seen much worse in real life.

Is Mr Bunbury's chimney still down on the canal bed just on the south side of the bridge at Allen's Lock, Upper Heyford?

Those with magnets may find Treasure!

Maybe, but rare to see a day boat with only two aboard. They may have left their mates at the pub, or knocked them overboard at the previous lift bridge!!

Our local day boats take up to twelve. Usually they race up to the pub then bounce their way back.

Was broken down on the junction at Kidsgrove recently, it was an interesting place to be stopped, surprising to see how many boats got the junction totally wrong and hit the opposite bank hard (almost every hire boat, and about a third of others as well).