My first proper boating under C&RT stewardship

zenataomm

Featured Posts

We've just returned from our first proper lengthy trip for a few years.

Well done to C&RT, we found all disposal points clean and working, and staff/volunteers helpful and cheery. I shan't give my views on volunteering per se.

I noticed every C&RT craft was blue clapping.gif I never thought the adoption by BWB of green to be anything but pointless.

I think though I have noticed a method by which they could increase their revenue.

Stick someone on a bike or give them a flat to boat the Coventry Canal. In two days I spotted about £45K worth of unpaid licenses, ignoring mooring fees.

They seem to fall into one of two main categories, tied up in the middle of no where whilst up holding the ancient principles of being a Rodney and EOG moorings.

I notice a keen drive to shame dog walkers not to empty their dogs on the towpath with posters showing a pair of eyes and imploring us all to shop those guilty. Why not the same for unlicensed boats?

In fact I suggest 15% of recouped fees could be used to discount the licence renewal of "the eyes".

After all 85% of £45K is worth a lot more than 100% of nowt!

• Greenie 4

You can't really asume all boats showing out of date licenses aren't licensed. If they are CCers, they may have trouble getting them in the post, so they may be delayed. CRT don't seem to bother much any more about them being shown as they check by the boat number rather than a visual licence check. So while there's a proportion where you're probably right, it's not worth getting hot under the collar about.

In two days I spotted about £45K worth of unpaid licenses, ignoring mooring fees.

You checked everyone's licence as you passed by? What a sad git you are. I presume you used the online licence checker to do this as it is the only way to do it effectively...

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 1

Kind of agree with some of the above points, i enjoy looking at the views around me, not spending my time checking peoples licences out.... to be honest i couldn't give a monkeys if you don't licence your boat, mine is all above board and that's all that matters to me...

You checked everyone's licence as you passed by? What a sad git you are. I presume you used the online licence checker to do this as it is the only way to do it effectively...

I've just tried it with my index number. Says I may have forgotten to display it blink.png

We've just returned from our first proper lengthy trip for a few years.

Well done to C&RT, we found all disposal points clean and working, and staff/volunteers helpful and cheery. I shan't give my views on volunteering per se.

I noticed every C&RT craft was blue clapping.gif I never thought the adoption by BWB of green to be anything but pointless.

I think though I have noticed a method by which they could increase their revenue.

Stick someone on a bike or give them a flat to boat the Coventry Canal. In two days I spotted about £45K worth of unpaid licenses, ignoring mooring fees.

They seem to fall into one of two main categories, tied up in the middle of no where whilst up holding the ancient principles of being a Rodney and EOG moorings.

I notice a keen drive to shame dog walkers not to empty their dogs on the towpath with posters showing a pair of eyes and imploring us all to shop those guilty. Why not the same for unlicensed boats?

In fact I suggest 15% of recouped fees could be used to discount the licence renewal of "the eyes".

After all 85% of £45K is worth a lot more than 100% of nowt!

£45k worth of unlicensed boats. So that's (at the very least) 45 unlicensed 72' boats on 38 miles of canal. I'm sceptical of your numbers Sir. Please show your working.

Sad man with nothing better to do. He doesn't even know that displaying a license is no longer required.

Even worse, he can't even spell "licences", shock horror. I think, though, that your assertion that licences need not be displayed is mistaken. Where did you hear or read that?

I don't think he's "sad" at all, assuming that you are using that term in its currently fashionable meaning of "pitiful" and not in its more traditional meaning of "unhappy". People who don't pay their licence are using our money for their own benefit. Are you content to let that state of affairs continue?

• Greenie 1

£45k worth of unlicensed boats. So that's (at the very least) 45 unlicensed 72' boats on 38 miles of canal. I'm sceptical of your numbers Sir. Please show your working.

It's certainly an impressive figure when compared to the claimed total rate of licence evasion in that entire CRT region.

An awful lot of the bad boys must have decided for some reason to concentrate themselves into just a very small part of the whole region(!)

I would also be interested to see the arithmetic.

I must admit that i usually look at licenses (however you spell the damn things) as I go by. I especially glare at the out of date ones which have a "What part of slowing down don't you understand?" sticker in the window....it's just one of the things that catches the eye - I also peer through the windows to see if I can get any good ideas for refurbishing the boat!

But I don't make any assumptions as to why they're out of date - could be postage, could be forgetfulness. Nothing to do with me - CRT's job to check these things. Mine is to enjoy the trip.

I also peer through the windows

Well thank goodness you didn't misspell the second word: a slight abbreviation would have given your readers entirely the wrong impression.

CRT no longer require you to display a current lic. disc, You however must have the CRT no. displayed on each side of your boat that is visible. It is this number that they use for everything now.

According to the updated T&Cs on the CaRT website 7.1 still says you must display the boats name, index number and licence on both sides of the boat so that they are always easily visible. see linky thing

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5962.pdf

No change there from the old T&Cs

There's only one person allowed to call me a sad git and it's not you, the saddest thing about this forum in particular is the bad mannered individuals like you who wouldn't say to someone's face what they feel is acceptable to put in writing.

The holder that my licence sits in says it is a legal requirement, if it's not, fair enough.

Actually, I didn't say I checked every boat, nor did I check any boat at all, I saw and remembered. You really are a drama queen.

You can't really asume all boats showing out of date licenses aren't licensed. If they are CCers, they may have trouble getting them in the post, so they may be delayed. CRT don't seem to bother much any more about them being shown as they check by the boat number rather than a visual licence check. So while there's a proportion where you're probably right, it's not worth getting hot under the collar about.

I understood the failing was to not display a current licence, the most impressive boat was displaying one 3 years old and was merrily emptying his bucket in the hedges 100 yards from the Canal & River Trust Peel's Wharf.

There's only one person allowed to call me a sad git and it's not you, the saddest thing about this forum in particular is the bad mannered individuals like you who wouldn't say to someone's face what they feel is acceptable to put in writing.

The holder that my licence sits in says it is a legal requirement, if it's not, fair enough.

Actually, I didn't say I checked every boat, nor did I check any boat at all, I saw and remembered. You really are a drama queen.

So this post was a load of crap because you didn't actually check if the boats were licensed, you just assumed it because you couldn't see a bit of paper displayed. What a muppet. If I saw you peering in my window trying to check my licence I would indeed call you a sad git to your face...

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 2

So this post was a load of crap because you didn't actually check if the boats were licensed, you just assumed it because you couldn't see a bit of paper displayed. What a muppet. If I saw you peering in my window trying to check my licence I would indeed call you a sad git to your face...

With your obvious diplomatic skills have you thought about writing an addendum to this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0091906814/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430924432&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people

Just asking. smile.png

Edited by Ray T

Hey - I've got the original edition of that. Doesn't work...

So here we go again . Insults and verbal bricks to a member expressing what they observed to be a shortfall in possible revenue. Having recently experienced a similar reception by a few members about my observations on the boats not displaying a licence on the k and a I have to wonder why some people get upset about these observations. I was very careful not to say un licensed boats in my post as I have , in the past been told there is a certain cache in not displaying a licence , appearing rebellious , without actually being a rebel. Being a discussion forum, points of view are and should be expressed, insults just bring the discussion to a lower level, without a valid point. Bunny

• Greenie 3

So here we go again . Insults and verbal bricks to a member expressing what they observed to be a shortfall in possible revenue. Having recently experienced a similar reception by a few members about my observations on the boats not displaying a licence on the k and a I have to wonder why some people get upset about these observations. I was very careful not to say un licensed boats in my post as I have , in the past been told there is a certain cache in not displaying a licence , appearing rebellious , without actually being a rebel. Being a discussion forum, points of view are and should be expressed, insults just bring the discussion to a lower level, without a valid point. Bunny

I agree, topics in this forum go downhill rapidly much to the detriment of proper discourse and actual debate/discussion.

With regards to these 'observations', they are often presented as facts with very little or no supporting evidence and often only serve to affirm what the writer considers to already be true. Its called confirmation bias. Hence why I asked for the OP to 'show his working' but I doubt I'll get a reply because all anyone focuses on are ambiguous wording, typos and name calling.

Well said, have a greenie.

We have been out shopping to-day in the car, the number of cars we saw not displaying licences was unbelievable, if today was anything to go by the loss of revenue to the government must be running into millions.......outrageous.