No more license disks

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

Thought you might be interested in this reply to my tweet, could not find any info on website

CRT Customer Service

replied to your Tweet.

Ditchdabbler @Ditchdabbler

Apr 30

@CRTContactUs Any truth in the rumour you are no longer issuing licence 'disks'?

CRT Customer Service

@CRTContactUs

May 01

@Ditchdabbler Sort of! We're now emailing licences rather than posting them, however there is no longer a requirement to display the discs.

Well I never got a licence to display either by post or email when I sent my written forms off in time to renew last November.

I put it down to the fact I was paying by DD.

It's most embarrassing not having a licence to display when you know you are paying for it

I recently applied for our licence online and have just received our licence "disks" as in previous years. I was not expecting to receive anything other than an acknowledgement, perhaps a C&RT have changed their minds again.

Makes sense to me in this date and age.

The nonsense around car disks not being transferable, and only refundable in month chunks, its really fairly crap.

However with that aside, I am largely in favour of, cutting unnecessary paper, online billing, electronic recording, etc.

Daniel

The nonsense around car disks not being transferable, and only refundable in month chunks, its really fairly crap.

However with that aside, I am largely in favour of, cutting unnecessary paper, online billing, electronic recording, etc.

Daniel

There is however some ambiguity about whether CRT licenses are also no longer transferable. I have been told they are not any longer, but there seems to be some doubt about whether CRT's proposed licence conditions for this year are actually in force at the moment.

Alan Fincher is in the process of trying to transfer a licence to the new owner of his boat, I for one await the out come with interest.

Daniel

• The down side is that there are still companies out there who demand to see utility bills before they will trade with you. I understand Royal Mail is one of these if you want to set up a redirection. Car hire companies are another

The Royal Mail didn't want to see anything when we set up a redirection for our move last year. Did the whole thing on line.

It was our solicitor who wanted to see originals of utility bills. I didn't have any, except for Council Tax ones, as I do everything on line. In the end she had to settle for print outs.

Edited to add the bit about the solicitor.

Edited by cuthound

I had a big performance on Friday about my River license renewal, due to commence from May 1st. I'd sent a cheque off to Car't over two weeks ago and received nothing. I tried emailing them, too complicated. I then telephoned them, they said they'd received nothing. My letter with the cheque had a 1st class stamp on it too and its the first time in recent years that one of my letters to anyone has gone astray or got lost in the post, I think Car't probably misslaid it. Anyhow, I renewed my license there and then on the phone by debit card and then phoned my bank to stop the cheque in case it fell into the wrong hands. What a performance all that was with all the security questions, I don't do phone or internet banking. Just as I was nearly through after answering all the security questions fired at me by a Glaswegian chap who I could hardly understand my mobile phone ran out of PAYGO data, I quickly asked him to phone me back to complete the cross examination, but he refused saying they didn't do that, ''mean barstewards''.

So rather than drive into town to the bank, which would mean larking around in the multi story car park trying to find my car when I returned to it, 'an awful business' I bombed up there at high speed 6mph ''hot foot'' in Lady Olga to sort it out as I could have a few rums whilst sailing along.

I finally got the cheque stopped. The whole performance consumed over half the day, half a bottle of rum and cost over £5 in mobile phone calls and one 1st class stamp, oo! and an envelope and a drop of diesel for the boat trip to the post box at Twyford lock. So about nearly £15 in unnecessary expenditure. mellow.png

No! I'll reduce the grand total expenditure to about £8 cos I would most likely have drunk the rum anyway.

Edited by bizzard

"Say No To 0870" would have probably saved a couple of quid on the phone call. Makes sense to check this before phoning from a mobile.

I don't think they were 0870 numbers, the bank certainly wasn't. I was just ages waiting, queuing and doing the recorded message, press one or press three business.

I don't think they were 0870 numbers, the bank certainly wasn't. I was just ages waiting, queuing and doing the recorded message, press one or press three business.

Have a look at the saynoto0870 website - its not just 0870 numbers.......

Alan Fincher is in the process of trying to transfer a licence to the new owner of his boat, I for one await the out come with interest.

I'm not sure whether I'm expecting to hear anything.

Ownership transfer forms were sent off a couple of weeks back, and I've certainly not been contacted to say I can't transfer a licence.

I couldn't have claimed the balance back, I think, as I believe you need to return the discs, and they, of course, stayed with the boat.

I'm not sure whether I'm expecting to hear anything.

Ownership transfer forms were sent off a couple of weeks back, and I've certainly not been contacted to say I can't transfer a licence.

I couldn't have claimed the balance back, I think, as I believe you need to return the discs, and they, of course, stayed with the boat.

Fair enough, I sort of expected they might of contacted you to let you know they could no longer transfer the licence but I guess they will be contacting the new owners to let them know they need to apply for one (assuming of course they need to).

In my opinion this is one area where new technology reduces efficiency rather than improves it.

For example, curently a lock keeper can see at a glance whether a boat is licenced or not. Without a licence disk/square, he would have to look up each passing boat on a computerised system if he wanted to see if it had a current licence.

For example, curently a lock keeper can see at a glance whether a boat is licenced or not. Without a licence disk/square, he would have to look up each passing boat on a computerised system if he wanted to see if it had a current licence.

If the licence contained anti forgery features like car tax disks I could see your point, but as they are they are just any easy to replicate bit of paper. Anyone could photocopy one to get through a lock.

Well I have just received my license reminder and as I pay by direct debit it informs me I have to do absolutely nothing as it will renew automatically.......

guess I will just have to wait and see if a bit of paper lands on the mat ??

Doesn't really Matter as last year's are still in the drawer anyway ;)

I posted this on another thread yesterday evening.

It's a response from C&RT.

Thank you for your email.

Going forward we will be issuing licences via email to customers for whom we have an email address registered, rather than sending them in the post. Customers are still required to display their licence discs, and they will be able to download and print these from the website.

If we do not have an email address on file for a customer, the discs will still be sent in the post.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if I can assist further in any way.

Kind regards,

Katy Ellis

Customer Service Advisor

Canal & River Trust

E: customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk