No more license disks

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

I renewed my licence today. Here is a quote from the PDF covering letter they sent me. This is the first line of the letter:

"Thank you for purchasing a long term boat licence. Two copies of this are printed below. Please fix one to each side of
your boat so that they can be clearly seen from the outside.
"

I do wish they'd make their minds up.

MtB

I got from the London area "That is the plan but as yet we are not ready to implement."

The plan, as far as boats are concerned, is flawed. Though currently we are supposed to display our Registration Number many don't. If a boat has no identifying marks from which CRT can identify the owner how are they to tell errant boaters they are required to display a reg no. Should you be involved in an incident how are you supposed to identify the boat, no Reg No no Name. As it is people already 'leave the scene' with no concern for any damage or injury and the victim is left to pay the cost. If the disc is to go then there should be an insistence that the a name and number is clearly visible on both sides of the boat and I don't mean written on a post-it note. One and/or the other should be visible from a distance at least the same as the registration plate.

The privacy argument doesn't hold water any more than not having a reg no on a car. If you don't want a to display your name and number then no licence should be issued simples.

I requested a definitive answer from C&RT, below is their reply,

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry for the confusion.

Here at customer services we were under the impression until recently that it was no longer a requirement to display a licence on your boat as the system is computerised. However, having looked into this further, there is still a clause in our updated terms and conditions which states that it is still a requirement that a licence is displayed.

As it stands at the moment, customers are still required to display their licence discs on their boat despite what we were previously led to believe. Going forward, I'm not sure whether we will be going paperless with the licences although it is something which I'm sure you would agree would make things easier for everyone. For the time being, if customers are unable to print their discs we are able to send them out in the post for them as we had done previously.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if I can assist further.

Kind regards,

Katy Ellis

Customer Service Advisor

Canal & River Trust

E: customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk

T: 0303 040 4040

The Canal & River Trust is a new charity entrusted with the care of 2,000 miles of waterways in England and Wales. Get involved, join us - Visit Donate Volunteer at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Follow the Canal & River Trusts Customer Service team on Twitter http://twitter.com/CRTContactUs

• Greenie 1

I renewed my licence today. Here is a quote from the PDF covering letter they sent me. This is the first line of the letter:

"Thank you for purchasing a long term boat licence. Two copies of this are printed below. Please fix one to each side of

your boat so that they can be clearly seen from the outside."

I do wish they'd make their minds up.

MtB

My new licence just arrived, complete with two printed discs.

I think CRT should also update their staff on the ground regarding the new licences. Having just gone through Anderton Boat Lift where they check on licences the staff member asked me where the licence was. I showed him the licences on display (one on the portside cratch window and one on the starboardside window, though both facing forwards!). He clearly hadn't seen these licences before and asked me what they were to which I replied, "The are just a couple that I've printed off", I suppose that did invite a bit of misunderstandingunsure.png