Best traditional pubs on the Leeds and Liverpool

Guest Sulou

Featured Posts

Sounds good.

Where to tie up, though?

Tim

Outside the lockhouse to p*ss off the people who bought it and don't like boats.

Alternatively, opposite the newish houses, just before the winding hole on the top side of the locks and say hi if you do.

I would dare to say on Kennets mooring too depending on the schedule but Pluto might be grumpy with me!!

Outside the lockhouse to p*ss off the people who bought it and don't like boats.

Alternatively, opposite the newish houses, just before the winding hole on the top side of the locks and say hi if you do.

I would dare to say on Kennets mooring too depending on the schedule but Pluto might be grumpy with me!!

Do the 1/2 hour or whatever the ridiculous limit is signs have any legitimacy whatever? Does anything happen to people who ignore them (other than maybe a grumpy house dweller having a rant)?

On the way over last year, Pluto did offer (the other) Kennet's mooring for an overnight but in practice stopping there would not have worked for us.

Tim

Thnaks for the advice -- through Foulridge, wind and return it is, then. Let's hope we don't miss the ten-minute-per-hour entrance slot by one minute...

grins...

Far be it from me to say anything but it's not usually that busy and the lights are actually controlled by two totally separate time clocks so there is a degree of latitude on when the lights change..... That's if they are working

Far be it from me to say anything but it's not usually that busy and the lights are actually controlled by two totally separate time clocks so there is a degree of latitude on when the lights change..... That's if they are working

Saying that you have to be a bit careful. We arrived there going north and just missed our slot so we tied up, turned the engine off and tried to get as close to the entrance as we could on foot to peer through (as you do). When it came close to our slot we could hear a boat in the tunnel and it was still audible when the lights turned green. Another boat arrived going our way and seeing we were still moored up asked if we minded them going straight in ahead of us. "No problem" said hubby "but best to wait until the boat in the tunnel exits"

Said boat exited a few minutes later - he either jumped the lights by a country mile or dawdled!

Saying that you have to be a bit careful. We arrived there going north and just missed our slot so we tied up, turned the engine off and tried to get as close to the entrance as we could on foot to peer through (as you do). When it came close to our slot we could hear a boat in the tunnel and it was still audible when the lights turned green. Another boat arrived going our way and seeing we were still moored up asked if we minded them going straight in ahead of us. "No problem" said hubby "but best to wait until the boat in the tunnel exits"

Said boat exited a few minutes later - he either jumped the lights by a country mile or dawdled!

Came through today and it took us 30 mins because we were following a hire boat. Was a pain as I was on tickover most of the way. At least its a straight tunnel so you can see if anything is still in the tunnel. Wish they would do something about the landing on the south side, you need a ladder to get off your boat. A ledge would help.

• 1 month later...

1 week starting from Barnoldswick, looking at turning at the winding hole near Aire Valley Marina (br. 224) and then stopping for the night near the Abbey Inn at Newlay. Any recent comments?

(no alternative once we've decided to do this, need to be sure there are moorings and the pub is open and has good beer and food)

Next earlier turning point I can see is between Apperley Bridge (no decent pubs) and Rodley (good pubs and Indian but won't be able get there) -- or is it possible to turn (and moor) at the boatyard at Rodley?

Ditto last week. Just sticking my nose into tunnel a couple of minutes or so after lights had turned green when there was a toot. After backing out, southbound boat claimed he had entered on green!

1 week starting from Barnoldswick, looking at turning at the winding hole near Aire Valley Marina (br. 224) and then stopping for the night near the Abbey Inn at Newlay. Any recent comments?

(no alternative once we've decided to do this, need to be sure there are moorings and the pub is open and has good beer and food)

Next earlier turning point I can see is between Apperley Bridge (no decent pubs) and Rodley (good pubs and Indian but won't be able get there) -- or is it possible to turn (and moor) at the boatyard at Rodley?

it used to be possible to turn at the old crane works in Rodley, on the Leeds side of bridge 218.

Came through today and it took us 30 mins because we were following a hire boat. Was a pain as I was on tickover most of the way. At least its a straight tunnel so you can see if anything is still in the tunnel. Wish they would do something about the landing on the south side, you need a ladder to get off your boat. A ledge would help.

It is awkward agreed but certainly manageable. And not the worst we have experienced on some of the Northern Waterways. You actually don't need to disembark to secure the boat, I normally just used to tie off with the centre line from the boat whilst waiting for the lights to change. (though obviously I did climb up to take this picture)

post-2102-0-12800700-1435744707_thumb.jpg

Edited by MJG

it used to be possible to turn at the old crane works in Rodley, on the Leeds side of bridge 218.

Can anyone confirm this? Looked on Google maps and can't see an obvious place to turn (east of Moss Swing Bridge #218)

Can anyone confirm this? Looked on Google maps and can't see an obvious place to turn (east of Moss Swing Bridge #218)

This is where you may be able to turn. The photo was taken on a L&LC Society walk, and we were considering places to turn Kennet. I feel sure there must have been a winding hole near the works. I seem to recall that you can turn at Rodley Boat Yard, but need to get boats moved from by the slip.

gallery_6938_1_20379.jpg

• 1 month later...

Reporting back...

Bollywood Cottage at Gargrave excellent -- praise indeed speaking as someone who lives a mile north of Southall! -- and Masons Arms fine as a friendly boozer.

Narrow Boat in Skipton very good for beer/cider/perry (didn't eat there), Stanforth's pies as good as predicted (and cheap) but the chilli pork pie has a skull and crossbones on for a good reason.

Slater's Arms at Bradley worth the (short!) walk, very good beer and food, need to book (full otherwise).

Nowhere decent to stop in Bingley, moored at Dowley Gap on Barry's suggestion but the pub (Fisherman's Arms) was closed -- luckily had plenty of beer on the boat.

Turned at Newlay (just above the locks), had a couple of excellent pints at the Abbey, ate at the Ephesus (Turkish, very good) in Rodley, ended up at the Rodley Barge (also recommended)

Fisherman's now open at Dowley Gap having just changed hands (only opened the previous day), friendly with OK beer, no food since kitchen floor relaid that day, big TV screen (sound off) and noisy parrot. Doesn't look like it's going to be classy but at least OK, and much better than the horrible visitor moorings in Bingley.

Back to Skipton, decent fish and chips (and slow distracted service, but we wanted a sit down) at Bizzie Lizzie's, more great beer/cider/perry at the Narrow Boat.

Finished at the Anchor at Salterforth, decent pub grub and beer.

For anyone considering hiring, boat was Somerset from Shire Cruisers -- very smooth and quiet, nice to handle, well thought out and fitted, very good shower but quite greedy on water, with six of us on board we ran out once after missing a fill-up...

Subjective thing isn't it , the definition of a good pub. Boris and I found a homely pub we liked and had a few happy pints in there with a bunch of cheerful locals .

When we said where we'd been the person we were staying with was somewhat shocked. Apparently said pub had a bad reputation but all I can say is we saw nothing amiss.

Indeed, some people like smart gastropubs, others (including me) like a bit scruffier boozers with more local feel to them. So long as they're friendly and the beer is good (and food if I'm eating there) I don't really care either way...