Canals and Steam Trains

rasputin

Featured Posts

Why? Is an Austerity saddle tank hauling all the trains? Or are they all diesels?

smiley_offtopic.gif and for industrial locomotive geeks only..........................

The Hunslet Engine Co. never called them 'Austerities'

I think they called them '505550' design, or something similar.

When at Castlefield, we often get the tram and go to Bury, to do the East Lancs. Last year Mrs TNC came up by car to do Ripon to Selby one way....we hijacked the car and did the NYMR - rather a good day out with A4 - Sir Nigel, B1 and Black 5 on.

As far as i am aware, the only steam locomotive they have available is Polish. There are no British steam locos in service.

Cue a "coming over here taking our jobs" comment, which of course I would never dream of making.

To me the presence of an overseas loco would make the line more attractive - after all, there are (thankfully) hundreds of British engines in preservation and you don't have to go far to see one. I think the Nene Valley started the trend for importing engines - at least on the standard gauge.

However, (based admittedly to some extent on a single visit), Junior is I think correct that the Churnet Valley typically only seems to have about one steam "runner" of its own, and otherwise to rely on hiring in locos.

It's not even that it has masses awaiting restoration, or a major overhaul. I think we walked around most of it a couple of years ago, and compared to others our reaction was very much "where are the steam locomotives?"

A Polish TKh tank engine, for me at least, isn't exactl;y going to get me rushing to a preserved line,particularly if the other choice of train is a Diesel Multiple Unit.

Otherwise it's an interesting line.

Not sure on the exact destinations, but recall being on the Rochdale a couple of years ago, we had gone well past Todmorden & looking for a mooring as it was dark - Suddenly a steam train went past very close in full steam - It was like we had gone back in time as we had seen no boats since Hebden Bridge.

Seem to recall at Littleborough station the following day that this was a fairly regular steam service.

Steam on the Churnet Valley currently.

I think the N7 is now out of sevice as it's boiler cert. has expired

https://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/steam-locos

Yes, more information given here, so they have obviously not yet updated the page you have linked to.

That looks as if it has German ancestry - is it a Kriegslok by any chance?

Are there any of them in Britain?

I don't know about "runners" - many moons ago the Nene Valley operated one.

I imagine there is still one tucked away out of use in the museum at Bressingham.

A git of use of "Google" would probably yield a fuller answer.

That's clever of me - those keys are not even on the same row!

They are diagonally adjacent, though.

The git tells me that there was one of these engines on the Nene Valley but that it has now gone to museum in Belgium. In fact, looking at a stock list of the Nene Valley, it looks as if the continental locos for which they were once noted (and which brought them a fair bit of TV and film work) are all either out of service or sold. If the list is correct, there are only three operational steam engines at the moment, one of which is on loan from somewhere else. How are the mighty fallen.

I don't know about "runners" - many moons ago the Nene Valley operated one.

I imagine there is still one tucked away out of use in the museum at Bressingham.

A git of use of "Google" would probably yield a fuller answer.

They used to give short footplate rides on it at Bressingham.

That looks as if it has German ancestry - is it a Kriegslok by any chance?

Are there any of them in Britain?

It could well be, but I am not an expert on the subject. My comment was more related to what was behind. You wouldn't want to argue with one of these:

gallery_6938_1_14041.jpg

I'd certainly think twice. So that's how they have stamped out fare-dodging in Poland. But to those of us of a certain mindset, if there's a steam engine in the picture we tend not to notice anything else!

It could well be, but I am not an expert on the subject. My comment was more related to what was behind. You wouldn't want to argue with one of these:

gallery_6938_1_14041.jpg

Nothing we Brits can't do, albeit in a slightly more reserved way.......

Romney,_Hythe_and_Dymchurch_armoured_tra