Keadby Lock

KenK

Featured Posts

I had to come up to Scunthorpe for a meeting tomorrow morning, never been up here before, Shardlow is the closest on our boat.

Nice afternoon so I decided to go and have a look at Keadby Lock and really pleased I did. Mark the lock keeper on duty made me very welcome explained how it all worked. I was also lucky enough to be there as a narrowboat entered the lock, nice to be able to benifit from someone elses experience, especially as he clearly knew what he was doing. Quite a flow on the river and the large ship moored just at the lock unloading creates some interesting eddies.

All in all a very pleasent couple of hours seeing life from the other side.

Ken

That's good to know! I may get there this summer, the first time since 1990, which is ridiculous. I will definitely get to West Stockwith.

You may like to see these photos, in an earlier thread, of the water going over the wall back in December 2013. The pumping station got a bit damp I gather.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

That's good to know! I may get there this summer, the first time since 1990, which is ridiculous. I will definitely get to West Stockwith.

You may like to see these photos, in an earlier thread, of the water going over the wall back in December 2013. The pumping station got a bit damp I gather.

Definitely worth doing the Chesterfield if you've got time. Very pretty (well most of it).

We returned south from Keadby and locked up at West Stockwith a couple of years ago. With hindsight, I wish I'd rung West Stockwith (07884238780) to check my timing. We went when the lockie at Keadby advised and arrived well before high water slack, which made for a somewhat character building entrance to West Stockwith!

Totally agree with others that the Chesterfield is worth taking time over. It's beautiful.

I see that you wished you had rung the lockie at West Stockwith. Do you consider that the lockie at Keadby could have possibly let you out too early? I would be interested to hear of the date and time you left Keadby lock?

We returned south from Keadby and locked up at West Stockwith a couple of years ago. With hindsight, I wish I'd rung West Stockwith (07884238780) to check my timing. We went when the lockie at Keadby advised and arrived well before high water slack, which made for a somewhat character building entrance to West Stockwith!
Totally agree with others that the Chesterfield is worth taking time over. It's beautiful.

I see that you wished you had rung the lockie at West Stockwith. Do you consider that the lockie at Keadby could have possibly let you out too early? I would be interested to hear of the date and time you left Keadby lock?

In the summer of 2000 on a huge spring tide we were let out at the wrong time from Keadby and had a nightmare rounding up and entering The Chesterfield, there were six boats in all and one could not stem the flow and dissapeared backwards round the corner and had to be rescued by a powerfull boat that was with us.

We all found out the colour of adrenelin as it was dark by the time we all got into the safe haven.

So the facts are that most probably the Lockie got it wrong or probably missinterpreted our intentions of the chesterfield or he was having a bad day but in the end it was us boat owners that got it wrong as it was our decision to go out at that time and we prob should have done our homework better.

Tim

It's a cracking view from up there, both of the river and also lock operations.

20150311_135305_zps3hjobvwr.jpg

you can also find out where the mudbanks are before you go out.

20150311_142115_zps3wwicpxc.jpg

The lockie doesn't have such a good view of you if you are the first boat in the lock at the front to the bottom right of your picture.

We had an incident in thereare few years back now where we were right at the front of a busy locking. Our bow line snagged a chain which was also wrapped around the bollard but the lockie couldn't see this from where he was stationed in the tower. We had to radio him to stop the lock which he duly did and then came down to release our rope, unfortunately at the same time the narrowboat at the side of us can't have been on his radio or taking notice of what was going on because he thought we were down to river level and released his ropes which then left him drifting around in the lock much to lockies dissatisfaction.

No harm done to anyone or anything, but we did land back in the water with a bit a a splash from the pointy end blink.png

In the summer of 2000 on a huge spring tide we were let out at the wrong time from Keadby and had a nightmare rounding up and entering The Chesterfield, there were six boats in all and one could not stem the flow and dissapeared backwards round the corner and had to be rescued by a powerfull boat that was with us.

We all found out the colour of adrenelin as it was dark by the time we all got into the safe haven.

So the facts are that most probably the Lockie got it wrong or probably missinterpreted our intentions of the chesterfield or he was having a bad day but in the end it was us boat owners that got it wrong as it was our decision to go out at that time and we prob should have done our homework better.

Tim

We always do our own timings and work out what time we want to leave.

The lockies tend to work on narrowboat timings which really don't work for us. It's easier all round if we work it out for ourselves.

Mark the lockie on duty did comment that they have difficulty seeing the boat next to the control cabin, they have requested the arm which holds the CCTV camera be moved to give a better view. Hopefully as it is a Health and Safety issue it will be sorted.

Ken

Hello Thunderbird,

I forget the times, but I told the lockie at Keadby I wanted to be at West Stockwith at high water slack and he told me what time to lock down. The flow was pretty fast and I was doing a good 10 or 12 mph at tickover, so didn't have a lot of option about my time of arrival at West Stockwith!

I suspect the lockie at Keadby may not study incoming flow that closely, his main concern being whether boats will reach him heading north in time to clear the cill.

The lockie at West Stockwith is obviously very interested in both incoming and outgoing tides. He forecast the arrival of the aigre (which is impressive) to within a couple of minutes!

I'm sorry I can't recall exact timings, but I'd go late rather than early as high water slack lasts about an hour, and if you did have to punch the tide at the end it would be no big deal, although it's easier to see the lock tail heading north.

If you do have to turn into the stream and hold station the lockie will invite you to tie up below the lock and will then help you in with a line. I found I was holding comfortably parallel to the wharf and about ten foot out, so having talked to the lockie I decided to go for it with him shouting instructions. Trick seems to be to go hell for leather towards the right hand lock tail and turn in later than you're really confortable with. I didn't touch the sides, so he knows his stuff!

Good luck. The flight above Shire Oaks is beautiful, with ice cream half way up.

Tim

Having had a very similar experience I have to say, as I have before, that it is not helpful simply to blame the lockies. Standard tide times are readily predictable but the situation at places on a tidal river, such as at Keadby and W Stockwith, is generally a balance between the water flow from the tide (*easy to predict) and fresh coming down (very difficult to predict). At times when the two just about balance and there should be practically still water (ideal time to enter a lock) only a small difference in the fresh can make a tremendous difference to a comparatively small boat (ie a NB). It is always best to consult and take the advice from a lockie - they almost always will know more than you do, but they are not infallible so safety equipment is vital - just in case!

Having been reading this thread and some recent items in Narrowboatworld, I have to say that as a boater thinking of using the tidal Trent for the first time this year, I have some concerns.
The comment with regard to lockies not being infallible and the mention made by a number of boaters of being sent on their way from the tidal locks joining the Trent and reaching their destinations either too early or too late and so in conditions making entry into West Stockwith and Keadby locks difficult and hazardous does not inspire confidence in one setting out on a tidal river for the first time. If I am to be let out of say Keadby lock as soon as the conditions there are right, I want to know that I am going to reach say West Stockwith at the right time for a safe and stress free entry there, and similarly for the journey from Torksey to Keadby. Several of my friends say they have met scary situations here and being scared enough of the tidal stretches I want to know that the advice from the lockies is taking into account the conditions at the destination and not just those at the lock we are departing from. Not much to ask?
It has been suggested that boaters could, or indeed should, work out the tide timings for themselves. I am a reasonably experienced boater but I don't know how to do that, so how on earth can an inexperienced boater hope to ? Surely this is something that should be done by the lockies, but the question is, are they sufficiently experienced and knowledgeable to do this ?

Having had a very similar experience I have to say, as I have before, that it is not helpful simply to blame the lockies. Standard tide times are readily predictable but the situation at places on a tidal river, such as at Keadby and W Stockwith, is generally a balance between the water flow from the tide (*easy to predict) and fresh coming down (very difficult to predict). At times when the two just about balance and there should be practically still water (ideal time to enter a lock) only a small difference in the fresh can make a tremendous difference to a comparatively small boat (ie a NB). It is always best to consult and take the advice from a lockie - they almost always will know more than you do, but they are not infallible so safety equipment is vital - just in case!

Edited by thunderbird
  • Greenie 1

Having been reading this thread and some recent items in Narrowboatworld, I have to say that as a boater thinking of using the tidal Trent for the first time this year, I have some concerns.
The comment with regard to lockies not being infallible and the mention made by a number of boaters of being sent on their way from the tidal locks joining the Trent and reaching their destinations either too early or too late and so in conditions making entry into West Stockwith and Keadby locks difficult and hazardous does not inspire confidence in one setting out on a tidal river for the first time. If I am to be let out of say Keadby lock as soon as the conditions there are right, I want to know that I am going to reach say West Stockwith at the right time for a safe and stress free entry there, and similarly for the journey from Torksey to Keadby. Several of my friends say they have met scary situations here and being scared enough of the tidal stretches I want to know that the advice from the lockies is taking into account the conditions at the destination and not just those at the lock we are departing from. Not much to ask?
It has been suggested that boaters could, or indeed should, work out the tide timings for themselves. I am a reasonably experienced boater but I don't know how to do that, so how on earth can an inexperienced boater hope to ? Surely this is something that should be done by the lockies, but the question is, are they sufficiently experienced and knowledgeable to do this ?

The Trent lockies will advise you as beat they can - But every boat / skipper is different !

We have left Cromwell & arrived very early in Dads NB (And we didnt run aground like some :-) !) at Torksey - No problems, just wait for the tide to rise to enter (Seen others moan that they have had to wait!!!)

Have left Torksey earlier than told in the cruiser & arrived perfect to lock into Keadby (Later may have been a problem as tide was ebbing fast) but we were on tickover following a nb so we could pen up together.

The lockies can only estimate your transit time - some will be faster & arrive before there is enough water to get over the cill, others will be late !

If you are unsure dont blame the lockies , they will advise as best they can.

I would not like anybody to think I blamed anyone for our early arrival at West Stockwith, apart from myself that is.

My boat is my responsibility and in unfamiliar surroundings I ask anyone I can get hold of for advice.

I can see how this thread might put people off going on the tidal Trent, which I think would be a great shame as it's a really great experience. Richlow publish a handy book called "Navigating the Tidal Trent", or something similar. It deals with safety equipment, transit times and gives a guide to using tide tables.

For the record I have found all the lock keepers on the Trent to be friendly and efficient, my point was that it's worth seeking advice from your proposed destination as well as your departure point.

Edited by colinwilks

For those who may have difficulty in calculating the tide times on the tidal Trent this website (http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/SelectPort.aspx )may be of use, just make sure that you click for BST between March and October or you'll be an hour out. I think I'd also try to avoid the big spikes on the graph sad.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

A boat may be the responsibility of the user but given the tidal nature of the Trent and the trust's encouragement for us to use it I worry if it is that my safety might be in the hands of an inexperienced lockie. Being au fait with a lock is okay on non tidal stretches, on tidal I have to worry that just knowing his own lock might not be enough? I suppose the question that needs answering here is does the trust recognise the additional knowledge required by those operating tidal locks - at the end of the day CRT has few boaters on its staff.

I would not like anybody to think I blamed anyone for our early arrival at West Stockwith, apart from myself that is.
My boat is my responsibility and in unfamiliar surroundings I ask anyone I can get hold of for advice.
I can see how this thread might put people off going on the tidal Trent, which I think would be a great shame as it's a really great experience. Richlow publish a handy book called "Navigating the Tidal Trent", or something similar. It deals with safety equipment, transit times and gives a guide to using tide tables.
For the record I have found all the lock keepers on the Trent to be friendly and efficient, my point was that it's worth seeking advice from your proposed destination as well as your departure point.

A boat may be the responsibility of the user but given the tidal nature of the Trent and the trust's encouragement for us to use it I worry if it is that my safety might be in the hands of an inexperienced lockie. Being au fait with a lock is okay on non tidal stretches, on tidal I have to worry that just knowing his own lock might not be enough? I suppose the question that needs answering here is does the trust recognise the additional knowledge required by those operating tidal locks - at the end of the day CRT has few boaters on its staff.

The lockies on the tidal Trent are all full time lockies and know the river well. The two Neil's are both narrowboaters and Adj works the CRT tugs. Not sure the Chris's are boaters but they certainly know their locks and the tide times.

At the end of the day you are however still responsible for your own safety out on the river and if you doubt the lockies advice then work out your own passage plan.

what you have to remember is tides are a guide and do not take into consideration if there is extra flood water coming down river ,if the rivers up then tides are weaker and if rivers up and its only a small tide that wont be of any help ,,,plus how much actual power the boat has i have done trent many times with beat up 2 cylinder 14 HP listers and lived to tell the tail and with nice big 70 hp Mitsubishi engines and struggled