cabin light switch

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi,

going to replace my cabin light switches with these:

http://www.force4.co.uk/department/electrical/lighting/light-switches/force-4-light-switch-double-brass.html#.VSrNIBBwbqA

Question though is am I expected to fit a recessed light switch box behind this? They will be serving a few 12V LED spotlights (about 5W each I think) so only a few amps will be drawn.

Thanks

Phil

I think you will find that they are much smaller than standard electrical accessories, and will not fit any standard box.

Richard

Correct - they are not even square, according to the details - 51x64mm

Those look quite neat little switch panels and are probably made up using pushfit panel rocker switches in a brass plate with suitably cut rectangular holes. (Is it real brass or is it brass plated steel? - or it could be anodised aluminium!)

I suspect the terminals on the back are standard 0.25" male spades. If you wire them with insulated crimp 0.25" receptacles they would be completely RCD compliant without the need for any enclosure behind them. The plate won't work with domestic boxes anyway, as others have said.

But of course, as you've said, you don't plan on making the boat RCD compliant on completion so that isn't a problem.

Interesting that you have a CE Builders plate - that should only be put on at final completion complete with Max crew and Max load figures. Does it have a Manufacturer Name on it? If you were building to the RCD, that would be you!!

Richard

Hi Richard

Yeah, its the typical plate you see, with manufacturer crew numbers and loads. Never really given it much thought.

I have the usual declaration of conformity and manual as you'd expect for a sailaway.

Given the complexities of building to RCD and getting it CE marked for a novice like me, plus my intentions not to sell it seemed far easier to build to satisfy the BSS rather than worry about RCD.

However there seems no clear cut time frame to the 5 year exemption period. I assumed as it isnt a liveaboard that this would begin from the moment it was first in the water, others say it's when I have 'completed' it. Given that I can see myself for ever changing bits and pieces I can nver see it being 'complete'!