Kelvin K2 Starter Motor

tom_c

Featured Posts

Looks like I can beat Mike to it (but probably good to have at least two answers).

My Seaward Eng rebuilt K2 has 13 teeth on its CAV BS5 starter pinion (not easy to see behind the gun metal end cover but after loosening it I managed to get a 5W car lamp on the end of some wires in there plus a dental mirror in front of it - I think I counted correctly! A bit easier if there isn't an end cover!).

Richard

Edited by rjasmith

thankyou both for your help, just the little matter of a very stuck cylinder liner now!

Tom

Here's what you need:-

ikUONZB.jpg

Those National liners took well under a ton to break away, but the ram is capable of 30 tons.

Also dilute hydrochloric acid in the water jacket is something I've seen recommended in engine manuals and elsewhere, never had to resort to it though.

Apologies if I'm trying to teach to suck eggs.

Tim

Tim that is an interesting piece of kit. We removed the first liner by running a couple of rings of weld around the bore to shrink the liner and then pushing it out with a scrap piston by rocking the flywheel. The second one, owing to corrosion in the block , snapped about half way down when using the same method. The only way we have found to work on the remainder is to very carefully grind slots in the liner and then just as carefully chisel out the liner from between the slots. I think we have about 6" to go. It is very very tedious but so far there has been no damage to the block. Regards, HughC.

Our liner puller is a 60 tonne beastie. We never thought that we would ever need to challenge it but have been proved wrong a couple of times. Sooner or later we will bust a block for sure. Had a couple of liners give with a crack like a gun going off ! Not for the faint hearted !