Winter mooring, general towpath price increases?

Dovetail

Featured Posts

Probably just a rumour but I heard that the general towpath winter mooring is set to double next winter and wondered if there is any truth in the rumour. I would expect some increase but if it doubles!!!

Funnily enough when I was last at a boat a few weeks ago now I was talking to another boater who was saying pretty much the same, but when I gently pressed him as to the source of the info. he couldn't actually say it was CRT but rather another boater who had heard it from another boater......you get the picture?

Strange though that we are probably at opposite ends of the country and the same rumour seems to be doing the rounds.

It certainly is wrong that some are paying whilst others just moor up where they like .

Having said that we do not want a CC licence to include a winter mooring charge as the genuine cruise all winter conditions permitting .

Seems to me some people gain ridiculous amounts of pleasure from creating and repeating gloomy rumours for little or no reason.

For example, recently I've been assured that from next winter no-one will be allowed to move at all anywhere on the waterways; that the mooring I was happily spending the night at would, in the middle of the night, definitely become the new home of one of the trees on the bank adjacent, and that the end is nigh.

Still waiting for the last two, and slightly dubious about the first one...

Whilst I have heard nothing about pricing, I am aware that CRT have reported that there is a review going on of the arrangements, as (apparently) what has operated this winter has not been by any means universally liked by all, (although exactly who the objectors were wasn't really made clear).

I have an awful fear that having (as far as I can tell), operated fairly encouragingly for a couple of years, some in CRT are unable to recognise a relative success, and are now once again keen to get CRT's "Department of Tinkering About With Things" involved.

I hope my increasing gloom is unfounded, but the vibes don't seem good.

Whilst I have heard nothing about pricing, I am aware that CRT have reported that there is a review going on of the arrangements, as (apparently) what has operated this winter has not been by any means universally liked by all, (although exactly who the objectors were wasn't really made clear).

I have an awful fear that having (as far as I can tell), operated fairly encouragingly for a couple of years, some in CRT are unable to recognise a relative success, and are now once again keen to get CRT's "Department of Tinkering About With Things" involved.

I hope my increasing gloom is unfounded, but the vibes don't seem good.

Yes it rather worrying that there is always a requirement to change things. Having said that some boaters do not help themselves by mooring right outside houses etc and then running engines a generators at all hours and not using smokeless fuel when in residential areas, these are the only complaints that CRT have flagged up to me. There also seems to be a small group that want them declared illegal not sure what the thinking is about that as this year to end February income for CRT was over £300,000 for doing nothing other than taking the money

Having said that some boaters do not help themselves by mooring right outside houses etc and then running engines a generators at all hours and not using smokeless fuel when in residential areas,

Yes, I agree entirely.

It would obviously help if most people involved from all sides could be sensible about it.

I have little doubt that the vast majority of those taking the permits have acted sensibly, but it is a classic case where if a few do not, it then has the potential to mess things up for everybody else.

On the other hand, of course some people actually want to see the scheme fail. I have sat in a recent meeting and heard about "these boaters squatting in a town, but bringing nothing to it". This means, I can only therefore assume, that those on the boats somehow get through life never buying anything, and that they will never (for example) be found in one of the local pubs. wacko.pngunsure.png

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes, I agree entirely.

It would obviously help if most people involved from all sides could be sensible about it.

I have little doubt that the vast majority of those taking the permits have acted sensibly, but it is a classic case where if a few do not, it then has the potential to mess things up for everybody else.

On the other hand, of course some people actually want to see the scheme fail. I have sat in a recent meeting and heard about "these boaters squatting in a town, but bringing nothing to it". This means, I can only therefore assume, that those on the boats somehow get through life never buying anything, and that they will never (for example) be found in one of the local pubs. wacko.pngunsure.png

BERKHAMPSTED? ?? Edited by cotswoldsman

Yes, I agree entirely.

Berkhampstead? (good description).

BERKHAMPSTED? ??

Berkhampstead? (good description).

Quote below is from the meeting notes for last SE Partnership Boating Subgroup. I continue to strongly oppose any planned changes that are not handled under the new national framework and/or which are not evidence based, although again my opposition has not made it into the meeting notes, (well not on this particular point anyway - it has on others!).

I fear data will be manipulated to give the answer some seem to want to get. In particular because Berkhamsted has been crowded by people on general winter towpath mooring permits, (which it has been declared they can rightly do without infringing any T&Cs), that data that said "Berkhamsted was largely full over winter" is then used to promote a case that short stay restrictions are needed in summer, (which in my view there has never been any strong evidence to support).

3. Visitor Moorings Update

- Signage is currently being updated in Banbury & Oxford to enable us to implement overstaying charges and should be completed by May.

- MS has recruited some new volunteer rangers, 3 in Banbury, 5 in Oxford, 1 in Rickmansworth and 1 in Cowroast, MS confirmed that he currently has volunteer rangers for everyday at Braunston. 1 person interested in Berkhamsted.

- The Three Locks pilot of monitoring the visitor moorings will continue until August.

- Berkhamsted – MS shared a map of the visitor moorings within this area. The local council have put up new no mooring signs due to anti-social behaviour. The council are intending to monitor these areas with car park attendants.

- The majority of the moorings in Berkhampsted are undesignated 14 day tow path moorings as such customers with General Winter Mooring Permits can moor in this area.

- We have not had any complaints regarding overstaying in Berkhamsted, any boats overstaying will and are being dealt with via the enforcement process.

- MS to gather the data for Berkhamsted and bring that evidence to back up any proposed changes to the next meeting (or circulated to the group by email if available sooner).

- JC stated she has noticed a reduction of spaces since the new council signs have gone up.

Also, (back on topic! blush.png)....

4. Winter Moorings 2015

- During the winter, visitor mooring’s will change into 14 days unless otherwise sign posted. Foxton to remain 1 day in the

basin, we are also consulting with the mooring warden at Thrupp with regard to maintaining short stay times in Thrupp if the data supports the demand.

- CRT are currently reviewing the winter mooring permit policy for next winter.

Edited by alan_fincher

How many complaints from local residents about generators and smokey fires have there been in Berko? ;)

If you want to keep the general permit for next winter its going to be an uphill struggle up a steep slope.

Edited by Loddon

How many complaints from local residents about generators and smokey fires have there been in Berko? ;)

If you want to keep the general permit for next winter its going to be an uphill struggle up a steep slope.

I understand the Berko complaints have been from other boaters.

I think you are wrong the winter permit is here to stay unless you are talking Berko I think Berko will be added to the exclusion list

I understand the Berko complaints have been from other boaters.

I think you are wrong the winter permit is here to stay unless you are talking Berko I think Berko will be added to the exclusion list

I just assumed complaints were from residents.>. As for exclusion list I think that from what I have gleaned Berko would be on it. Edited by Loddon

Strange thing to say, given they have set up a department to manage it.

You should stop taking the word of a certain individual who likes to think she has more importance than is actually given.

I just assumed complaints were from residents.>. As for exclusion list I think that from what I have gleaned Berko will be on it.

There might have been complaints from local residents but doubt they would be on smoke etc more lightly just did not like a load of boats there for extended periods

Probably just a rumour but I heard that the general towpath winter mooring is set to double next winter and wondered if there is any truth in the rumour. I would expect some increase but if it doubles!!!

probably just being done to keep up with CRT's rises in towpath mooring charges.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for late reply been a bit busy at the mo. So I guess the doubling of the charge is roomer but then again things may change slightly. Personally I think it’s a great success and did it for the first time this winter and nothing short of fantastic, walk to work kept my van at work just great for the long dark winter months but on the move again and that’s great also :)

They really don;t learn do they.....

3. Visitor Moorings Update

- Signage is currently being updated in Banbury & Oxford to enable us to implement overstaying charges and should be completed by May.

Overstaying charge is a penalty charge - not permissible under current legislation.

Extended stay charges are a completely different kettle of fish.

It is difficult to see which local residents would be inconvenienced in the Waitrose pound - there are no houses within breathing distance.

The Crusty Palace pound - well, My Boy Clive was there for yet another winter - perhaps the lady opposite in the gorilla shop could do some intensive negotiations with the local smokeless fuel sellers instead of getting her knickers in a twist in the(her) Port of Berkhampstead(sic)

Gorilla shop? Are monkey boats allowed to moor there? What is it?

Well it be the old home of Berkhampstead Boats, they were the ones named after TS Eliots cats. They have a giant Orang Utan in a conservatory.

Not sure what that has to do with Banbury and a Oxford though, unless I'm making a connection that was not intended from the OP