Old Spot

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

Did a bit of tiling this weekend. I started tiling the back of the fireplace.

xoi69swl.jpg?1

Then decided I didn't like it so took them off and did something different.

Cn4WTdOl.jpg?1

Then the splash back in sexy red glass tiles.

cESFpuql.jpg

bH76Jnfl.jpg

And fitted the 'dado' to the left side.

X0xNcsFl.jpg?1

And the bureau.

0gtr45Hl.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...

Shower at the weekend.

The tray that I previously refurbished now sits 75mm lower with the bottom just below floor level. This means I will be able to stand up in it now.

BOcx4Yrl.jpg

You've got to love a bit of bling in the bathroom.

rA6FlBgl.jpg

BWmT7bWl.jpg.

Next weekend, I'll get it all plumbed in.

You make it look and sound easy, but I'm sure that you are being modest about your labours. The transformation is remarkable.

One thing I do wonder: what does the outside of the boat look like?

Thanks guys!

Athy, this is what it looked like when Matty delivered the boat to Ely back in April. Not much has changed except for the location of the chimney. Repaint next spring. Cream and black is my current favorite scheme. But that may change yet.

fQhR0vPl.jpg

It rings a bell - it would have had to come past the end of our garden on its way to the Great Ouse (unless of course it came from the Bedford end).

I do like the combination of trad stern and grabbable handrails. Out 'Trojan' has similar, but they are not common. Who built her?

That's not far from our house - but how did you know where we live?

That boat looks familiar too but I shan't risk a guess at the name in case I get it wrong and look like a prat upset somebody.

By-eck you could indeed.....

It was the purple grass and walls..

Edited by matty40s

I guessed right about the boat! Though I've met Mr. 'Eck at Alvecote I don't think I have spotted his boat going past here.

We're just about next to the rather tumbledown, but still operating, garage and right next to the non-tumbledown and generally excellent Russell's butcher's shop. They are on opposite sides of the lane, but then our house is on the other side of the lane from our garden.

Edited by Athy

It rings a bell - it would have had to come past the end of our garden on its way to the Great Ouse (unless of course it came from the Bedford end).

I do like the combination of trad stern and grabbable handrails. Out 'Trojan' has similar, but they are not common. Who built her?

Built by Starline, as part of their hire fleet I presume. Hence the original name Southern Star.

• 1 month later...

Haven't done very much on the boat lately. Now that I have officially moved on board, most of my time has been spent finding homes for things and settling into a routine.

One project that I completed before Christmas was the cold box. I wanted to see how it performed before I 'went public' with it and I am pleased to report that is working better than expected. Basically its a box made from insulation foam that slides out of a cupboard on runners. I buy 2 pint bottles of milk which I freeze in the freezer compartment of my fridge at work. I bring one home to the boat every two or three days where they take a couple of days to defrost and keep everything else cool. I've been doing this for a month now and it meets my simple needs perfectly. Everything came from a skip except the foil tape and of course there are zero cunning costs.

jVD01Ubl.jpg?1

cfiQJg3l.jpg?1

T62WiWKl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love the rack modification, and cooler, love genious ideas like that. Hope your keeping cosy onboard, it is on mine with the 2Kw elecy heater blasting. Even toastier with a pint in hand aswell and pen and paper planing :)

Thats the trouble, you get to a stage when you are ok with it, and you just learn to live with it, like a house when DIY things dont get fully finished.

Come on get off your back side and do a bit and i will aswell ;) i need you to motivate me to do the 1001 jobs lol ;)