Recommendations for SS chimney maker.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

We need a new cruising-length stove chimney in stainless, having put the old, corroded mild steel cheepy out

of its misery with an overhanging Thames tree last year.

Having just mangled the SS engine chimney on Islip footbridge, we need one of those too (or an amazing repair).

Any recommendations for someone who can make bespoke chimneys in SS? I'm sure I've seen discussion of such here before, but up-to-date info would be useful.

Cheers,

MP.

The Little Chimney Company, Kym Franks, 07876 654120, made mine four years ago still good as new. One tip get him to put your boat name on it rather than the "little chimney company". Currently at Hopwas on the Cov Canal.

I used Chris Smith -( he's based at crick 01733 576946) which I found on the forum, excellent work came to us and made to measure and fitted, Very reasonable price. The biggest problem is Crick has a rubbish phone signal but texts worked fine but calling him was a problem.

I used Chris Smith too. An excellent chimney at a good price. He has his workshop in the back of his van so he can drive to you then measure and make it on site. I seem to recall he lives somewhere out East (Ipswich perhaps???) so he can easily get to places well to the east of Crick too

And another vote for Chris Smith. Ours is 5 years old and still going strong. Being a proper custom fit double skin job it has virtually eliminated tar running down the cabin side. Top job, nice bloke and reasonable price.

PS he travelled to Ely to fit ours which I don't think is too far from you moomins so sure he would do yours on site too

Thanks all. I'll give Chris a ring. Ely is indeed close to our home mooring, but as we're currently on the Nene, and heading out for the summer, we'll have to meet Chris somewhere on the canals. I'm sure something can be arranged.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

• 3 weeks later...

This is just to add another recommendation for Chris Smith. We met him at Crick last week for measurements, and at

Buckby yesterday for fitting and fettling. Massively pleased with the result, which faithfully reproduces the mangled

original, but better. Chris went the extra mile to make exactly what we wanted. The only downside is

that I shall now feel an obligation to keep it always shiny. Thanks for all the recommendations.

MP.

P1030333.JPG

Chris will add any decoration you ask for, but he does usually warn you that the corrosive elements in solid fuel will attack the brass and the rivets, he will also make you a non polished stainless if you so desire ( which is what he was using on his own boat last time I saw him and Denise.

• 8 years later...

An old thread, but eight years on I wondered who is still active who might be able to make what I am looking for.

I am looking for a traditional rivetted chimney (black finish, rolled top, brass fittings etc) but twin walled and made in stainless. Essentially similar to that which @Ray T has posted a picture of above in this thread, or the work of Mike Pinnock - South Island Marina. However, having spoken to the latter they no longer make them and although I have approached Simon Wain I am aware that he may not wish to still do it (it's certainly not something Brinklow are advertising).

So, is there anyone else who is still making such things?

Cheers

Alec

20 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I heard recently that Dave Parrot may still be able to help, although he’s only making in winter. The stuff he made for Resolute, years ago, was top notch, proper traditional work.

Thanks Dave. I don't know Dave Parrot - is it connected with Matt? If so, I have indirect links I can pick up through (a friend now owns The King). If not, how do I find him?

Alec

Edited by agg221