Maximum draft

johnnie1uk

Featured Posts

Do you mean the 'whole system' or excluding the 'remainder' waterways ?

I have not done anywhere near the whole system so probably not qualified - but - I'd suggest that with 2 foot 6 inches you should be OK

As an example the 'guaranteed' minimum depth on the Llangollen is 2 feet (0.61 metres) but boats of 3 foot have made it.

Here is a list by Canal/River.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/meetings/wusig/MOC-dimensions-comparison-v3-110311.xls

Maximum draft on the River Trent is 1.7 metres

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3'6" if you're a masochist, 3' to 3'6" if you're willing to learn the "proper" way of steering, 2'6" if you want an easy time.

Sound about right, coming from someone with a 2ft8 boat...

Daniel

Do you mean the 'whole system' or excluding the 'remainder' waterways ?

I have not done anywhere near the whole system so probably not qualified - but - I'd suggest that with 2 foot 6 inches you should be OK

As an example the 'guaranteed' minimum depth on the Llangollen is 2 feet (0.61 metres) but boats of 3 foot have made it.

Here is a list by Canal/River.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/meetings/wusig/MOC-dimensions-comparison-v3-110311.xls

Maximum draft on the River Trent is 1.7 metres

just out of interest, there is now a coal boat on the llan, it had its first trip up to Chirk this week and is now on its way back down

We got up to the end at 2ft8 without any real issues, but did touch bottom at the second to last lock on the spillway gravel.

- I have also been told you can do 3 ft to the end. If you can get through hurleston on the width...

Ashby is very narrow if deep, but for obvious reasons, not bad right in the middle.

Oxford is not a huge waterway, but I expect also fine if you stick to the middle.

Ribble link is a bit of a ditch, but Ruffords not full length so maybe there is not the need...

Where else?

Daniel

Length and width are more of a limiting factor for Fulbourne than having 3 ft draft. We do go aground from time to time, but rarely do we get seriously stuck. You can't always get too close to the side, so a plank is sometimes necessary for mooring, as well as some agility on occasion. There is a definite knack to steering a deep boat, so you can 'feel' the channel and not go aground. Not everyone has the knack, and from time to time I hear other boaters complaining about having real problems on a length we have travelled with little difficulty.

If the going is a bit tough ther answer is to slow down. Lower revs means the stern doesn't pull down so far, so less dragging along the bottom, and the speed over the ground can be higher, and its quieter and you use less diesel as well.