Ideas for removing rust streaks on white paint.

Detling

Featured Posts

Topic says it all really.

I have a beautiful white painted frame but the pivot bolt has rusted leading to an ugly streak below, Paint is enamel and in good condition but I don't want to paint several square feet just to remove a 3 inch long streak. As the paint has been in the sun for 2 years it is not the same colour as the tin!.

Two suggestions ... first one would be t cut if you didnt want to take any chances, the second would be cream cleaner similar to jif, but most supermarkets do their own for about 20p a bottle, i used it on the topsides of a boat that had been left under trees for years and it cleaned off all the moss and brought the boat up lovely

Rick

Topic says it all really.

I have a beautiful white painted frame but the pivot bolt has rusted leading to an ugly streak below, Paint is enamel and in good condition but I don't want to paint several square feet just to remove a 3 inch long streak. As the paint has been in the sun for 2 years it is not the same colour as the tin!.

Phosphoric acid - works fine on white gelcoat of GRP hull - wash off as soon as its done its job - a matter of seconds. Try a little on small area of your white paint as results may be unpredictable.

I've just reconditioned my old Calor gas cooker, and removed rust streaks easily by rubbing with cellulose thinners, very powerful stuff is cellulose thinners. The cooker is of course stove enamelled, so no reaction. Being as the paint on your frame is years old and so is fully cured the paint won't react quickly to cellulose thinners if done very rapidly and wiped off completely. Try a little spot first.