River Trent - Single Handing

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm currently making may way over the L&L to spend the summer in Yorkshire and will be returning South in the Autumn. I'm considering return routes and am considering the Trent. I've not been on the Trent before but have used my boat on the Thames several times so I'm quite happy with a big river.

The question really is do I need any special equipment, I have a life jacket and anchor, but would I need VHF and is there anything else I should be aware of before taking this route.

Thanks for the quick reply. That would seem to rule out that route as I don't have a VHF licence or a spare body.

Looks like it's the Huddersfield narrow or Rochdale then.

ABP don't actually enforce that and there's no commercial traffic on that stretch any more, except for the first half mile from Keadby and they'll all be moored up and probably aground when your're passing them.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

ABP don't actually enforce that and there's no commercial traffic on that stretch any more, except for the first half mile from Keadby and they'll all be moored up and probably aground when your're passing them anyway.

However your insurance company might echo ABP's stance.

Thanks for the quick reply. That would seem to rule out that route as I don't have a VHF licence or a spare body.

Looks like it's the Huddersfield narrow or Rochdale then.

PM Matty40s. there is no need to rule it out. I have never done it personaly but I do know of and have spoken to boaters who have single handed on the tidal Trent out of Keadby.

I doubt the Lockie would have let them out if it was against 'the rules'. You do need VHF and a good anchor though, not a Mickey Mouse one.

I did it in 2009 single-handed down stream to Keadby and without VHF. I wasn't aware then of any requirement for two people or VHF. Is this a new rule?

No.

Shows it is always worthwhile being familiar with the requirements of the waterways you are travelling on.

Leisure boats are tolerated on ABP waters but for their part are expected to follow the few very simple requirements which are there for everyone's safety, not just your own.

If it's your first time on the Trent , you would be well advised to go in the company of another boat, and preferably someone who either knows the river or has got some of the maps / charts that have been mentioned on here before, I don't know where or who you get them from, but I'm sure somebody on here will be able to tell you.

You don't need a VHF for the reason I gave above, and as for pleasure boats being 'tolerated' on ABP waters, that's just not true . . . . you're there by right.

If it's your first time on the Trent , you would be well advised to go in the company of another boat, and preferably someone who either knows the river or has got some of the maps / charts that have been mentioned on here before, I don't know where or who you get them from, but I'm sure somebody on here will be able to tell you.

You don't need a VHF for the reason I gave above, and as for pleasure boats being 'tolerated' on ABP waters, that's just not true . . . . you're there by right.

I bought my charts from the lock-keeper; I think at Cromwell. Good advice about pairing up with someone who has done it before. It's the first I've heard of the no single-handed rule despite doing my research as always and taking advice from the lock keepers.

I bought my charts from the lock-keeper; I think at Cromwell. Good advice about pairing up with someone who has done it before. It's the first I've heard of the no single-handed rule despite doing my research as always and taking advice from the lock keepers.

You are fine on crt waters which are to Gainsborough bridge.

The link above in my previous post will tell you all you need to know about the requirements for ABP waters beyond Gainsborough.

It isn't the responsibility of the crt lock keepers to remind you of your responsibilities on other authorities waterways.

I have not heard of a no single handing rule .

It may be a recommendation which some jobsworth is trying to enforce as a personal crusade but I haven't come across them yet.

Certainly Keadby up is not demanding on your own so long as you have the food and liquid close at hand.

You do need vhf, lockies will keep you posted on whether the tide is topping early and also if work is taking place somewhere.

keadby to Cromwell is easily doable in good conditions, if it looks like you may fall short, a quick call to Torksey or Cromwell to say you are stopping at Torksey or Dunham is all that is needed.

Edited by matty40s

You are fine on crt waters which are to Gainsborough bridge.

The link above in my previous post will tell you all you need to know about the requirements for ABP waters beyond Gainsborough.

It isn't the responsibility of the crt lock keepers to remind you of your responsibilities on other authorities waterways.

To be fair, despite all the best intentions and preparation, it's not surprising if somebody is unaware that the section between Gainsborough and Keadby is ABP operated.

I have not heard of a no single handing rule .

It may be a recommendation which some jobsworth is trying to enforce as a personal crusade but I haven't come across them yet.

Certainly Keadby up is not demanding on your own so long as you have the food and liquid close at hand.

You do need vhf, lockies will keep you posted on whether the tide is topping early and also if work is taking place somewhere.

keadby to Cromwell is easily doable in good conditions, if it looks like you may fall short, a quick call to Torksey or Cromwell to say you are stopping at Torksey or Dunham is all that is needed.

Come off it Matty . . . . in the current absence of any commercial traffic a mobile phone and the numbers for Keadby, Stockwith, Torksey and Cromwell is all you need on this stretch of river. If there are any works going on between Keadby and Cromwell that you need to be aware of, then they'll tell you before you leave Keadby, and nobody's going to call you to tell you that the tide's not coming up to prediction . . . . what use would that bit of info. be anyway ?

Single handing may be allowed but it's not ideal. There are very few places to stop on the tidal stretch so if you need a quick piddle, it may have to be a sneaky one straight off the rear counter, while steering. And I bet another boat will turn up just as you're doing it.

If agree that you really need the Sissons chart for the Trent. Life jackets would be highly recommended. Service your engine. Fill up with diesel. Programme all lockie mobile numbers in. VHF would be ideal but you need to do the course too.

But you must do it. It's flippin awesome.

Single handing may be allowed but it's not ideal. There are very few places to stop on the tidal stretch so if you need a quick piddle, it may have to be a sneaky one straight off the rear counter, while steering. And I bet another boat will turn up just as you're doing it.

If agree that you really need the Sissons chart for the Trent. Life jackets would be highly recommended. Service your engine. Fill up with diesel. Programme all lockie mobile numbers in. VHF would be ideal but you need to do the course too.

But you must do it. It's flippin awesome.

I just bought the latest Sisson's chart. I really don't like them, I much preferred the old versions that were a chart instead of a picture.

I can't find anything that prohibits single handing though.

This is all I could find. Just refers to "sufficient crew" so that's debatable for a narrowboat.

Before Sailing
  • Check the weather forecast by listening to the shipping or local radio forecast, watching Teletext ITV, telephoning the Maritime and Coastguard Agency or listening to its reports on VHF Channel 67.

• Check the condition of the boat and its equipment.

• Ensure the engine is well maintained. Carry a tool kit and essential spares.

• Ensure safety equipment is in good order and is provided for all on board.

• Carry day and night distress flares, first aid kit and a torch.

• Carry VHF radio with marine frequencies, do not rely on Cellnet and other portable phones.

• Check local conditions, tide rates, shoal waters.

• Obtain and carry the appropriate charts and tide tables.

• Plan your trip.

• Ascertain how long the voyage will take.

• It is prudent to set watches for crew members.

• Plan safe havens en route and alternatives.

• Have sufficient crew for voyage.

Byelaw 11, manning of craft.

A narrowboat is over the maximum length to classify it as a small craft.

Where does it say a narrowboat is over the length to be defined as a small craft? Genuine question.

I found bye law 11 but not the definition of 'small craft'

Edited by MJG