Serious Incident - Shropshire Union Nr Chester 11/03/2015

Colin Smith

Featured Posts

Your correct

The Old Trooper is the restaurant myself and my partner run, we have been publicans and Narrowboaters for a long time and own our boat as we have done for many years. Yes we are new to this current business but we are experienced boaters and publicans, and our dream was to manage a canalside business, so when the Old Tropper came up we snatched it with both hands, since taking over we have seen business build quite steadily, but when something like this comes up on your doorstep it is somewhat worrying that some folk on the canals can cause this much angst and destruction.

This woman has been an absolute menace and had caused many thousands of pounds worth of damage to moored boats, I have no shame in naming her boat and ousting her to the community, the owners of the boats she hit on her drunken rampage will face many hundreds if not thousands of pounds worth of bills and in her own words "I nt give a s$¥t, this woman has no respect for other boaters, nor does she care about what she has done.

I've said my piece now, their May not be a law against navigating a canal whilst pissed but their sure will be many many civil cases bought against her. Talking to the local CART lads they say her licence maybe revoked. Here's hoping!

That's my rant done, I'm off for a bath

Edited by kienik
  • Greenie 2

There are over 200 boats on the Golden Nook Moorings now, I know because we went down their 2 weeks ago in a heavy wind and I was counting them until the horizontal rain arrived!, then I could not see a thing, I was tempted to go fast but did not. We remember seeing the offending boat near Christleton.

• Greenie 1

Sounds like she was in league with the humans!

Quite so! Sorry, I couldn't resist but I have my coat and am on my way out.

Sounds like the actions of someone that is having a few mental health problems. Lets hope she gets the help that she needs.

She may be and if so she will indeed need help but equally she could be just a bloody minded individual who can't control her drinking. Either way something should be done to help her change her ways.

Let us hope also that equal empathy is available to the folk who's boats and other personal property has been damaged, their day and equilibrium shook-up.

There are over 200 boats on the Golden Nook Moorings now, I know because we went down their 2 weeks ago in a heavy wind and I was counting them until the horizontal rain arrived!, then I could not see a thing, I was tempted to go fast but did not. We remember seeing the offending boat near Christleton.

Your are very wrong their are no where near two hundred boats on the moorings, and as you say "now" that makes it sound as though the moorings have grown in size.

They have not at all grown in size/length in the ten years I've been their, yes it can get a bit boring going at tickover past the long line of boats but it no different to the stretches around Market Drayton, the end of the cutting at Grub Street etc. Yes it's tedious but surely the six mile stretch you've just come though of countryside must have bored you, now you can go licence spotting along the Nook stretch

Forgot to add a little smiley face, tongue firmly in cheek

Your are very wrong their are no where near two hundred boats on the moorings, and as you say "now" that makes it sound as though the moorings have grown in size.

They have not at all grown in size/length in the ten years I've been their, yes it can get a bit boring going at tickover past the long line of boats but it no different to the stretches around Market Drayton, the end of the cutting at Grub Street etc. Yes it's tedious but surely the six mile stretch you've just come though of countryside must have bored you, now you can go licence spotting along the Nook stretch

130 boats according to Google maps sat view.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks for counting, still no where near the 200 the previous poster quoted

The trouble with Google maps/earth images is that they are mostly 5 years old give or take. Checking the image showing Golden Nook Moorings it is from October 2010 So a lot can happen in the intervening time to now.

The trouble with Google maps/earth images is that they are mostly 5 years old give or take. Checking the image showing Golden Nook Moorings it is from October 2010 So a lot can happen in the intervening time to now.

Lets put it this way, the moorings certainly haven't shrunk in the last 5 years.

George ex nb Alton retired

Give the lady a chance to sober up, retract her profanity and admit that she was a drunken fool and submit extenuating circumstance as suggested by her solicitor. Chances are she will be frightened by this experience get some community service and bound over.

If she were a friend of yours you would want to give her support and ensure that this never happens again.

Alan

• Greenie 2

She needs help but people have to want help for it to do any good. My concern is that she has now been bailed by the police, is moored next to a pub and could repeat the carnage at any time. Every time we hear a boat coming, we're peering out to see if it's her. She was aware enough to give the finger to another boater who shouted at her to slow down and get over. She was also able to blow into a bag and deny she'd hit anything to the police when they questioned her.

She needs help but people have to want help for it to do any good. My concern is that she has now been bailed by the police, is moored next to a pub and could repeat the carnage at any time. Every time we hear a boat coming, we're peering out to see if it's her. She was aware enough to give the finger to another boater who shouted at her to slow down and get over. She was also able to blow into a bag and deny she'd hit anything to the police when they questioned her.

She sounds like a real menace. If she intimidates her neighbours and is unapologetic for what she's done then I have little sympathy or desire to help her. It's the majority of decent people who feel threatened who I'd be more interested in helping and as part of that I'd want the police to temporarily disable her engine so she can't do it again. They wouldn't give the keys of a car straight back to a drunk whose just smashed up a load of parked cars. Shouldn't the same principal apply?

Sadly it's incidents like these that may encourage the local authorities to enforce a law against drink cruising.

I for one, like a nice jug of lager in the later afternoon whilst at the helm before ending the day, or having a couple during pub visits. But know my limits. It would be a shame if others like this lady can spoil it for us.

Sadly it's incidents like these that may encourage the local authorities to enforce a law against drink cruising.

I for one, like a nice jug of lager in the later afternoon whilst at the helm before ending the day, or having a couple during pub visits. But know my limits. It would be a shame if others like this lady can spoil it for us.

I would think it would be a relief if you were banned from drinking lager :)