rules for "bridge hopping" with a home mooring

FidoDido

Featured Posts

I have a home mooring, but at certain times of year, the commute to work can be up to an hour for a 10 mile journey. One thing I could do is shuttle between Beeston and the visitor moorings in the middle of Nottingham, and walk / cycle to work.

If I were to do this - spend 14 days at each place, and shuttle back and forth, am I likely to get "done" by CRT? Or does the fact I have a home mooring mean I can go wherever I want, stay within the relevant time limits, and be OK?

Would probably only shuttle for Oct-Dec and Feb-Apr, as the rest of the year the traffic isn't as bad as the University students aren't about.

Of course, it would be better if my home mooring was closer to work, but I've waited nearly 3 years for 70ft mooring to come up at Beeston, and it hasn't yet!

Previously I'd thought I'd be restrained by the same rules as CC'ers, but reading a few threads recently about this, it seems those with a home mooring might not have the same requirement to be "on a journey" and be allowed to bridge-hop?

Round and around we go! icecream.gif

Well if you do - although I think that " back and forth" rather than "round and round" would be a more appropriate description - you should have no trouble, surely?

Read the new terms and conditions for boaters with a home mooring that are coming into force on the 1st of May 2015, and you'll know exactly as much as anyone else. If you need more information, contact CRT, and please let us know the outcome.

The "Round and round" comment I took to refer to yet another thread about how much and how often a boat must be moved. frusty.gif

No worries, the tram will be working soon lol

Is it just the widening of the A453 (now to be called Remembrance Way) that's causing all the problems? I know it takes me an hour to get out of Nottingham every week.

It's more likely the building of tram 2

No worries, the tram will be working soon lol

It's more likely the building of tram 2

Suppose it depends which end of beeston he needs.

Tram 2 catches you in central beeston but going the other way into Lenton ind estate you only get the A453 problem.

Such is life driving in nottingham atm.

I have a home mooring, but at certain times of year, the commute to work can be up to an hour for a 10 mile journey. One thing I could do is shuttle between Beeston and the visitor moorings in the middle of Nottingham, and walk / cycle to work.

If I were to do this - spend 14 days at each place, and shuttle back and forth, am I likely to get "done" by CRT? Or does the fact I have a home mooring mean I can go wherever I want, stay within the relevant time limits, and be OK?

Would probably only shuttle for Oct-Dec and Feb-Apr, as the rest of the year the traffic isn't as bad as the University students aren't about.

Of course, it would be better if my home mooring was closer to work, but I've waited nearly 3 years for 70ft mooring to come up at Beeston, and it hasn't yet!

Previously I'd thought I'd be restrained by the same rules as CC'ers, but reading a few threads recently about this, it seems those with a home mooring might not have the same requirement to be "on a journey" and be allowed to bridge-hop?

The question is - "Do you want to comply with the law, or, with C&RTs T&Cs" as the two are at odds with each other.

Bearing in mind the Enforcement Officer (in that area) and his 'history' you will likely to be subjected to C&RTs T&Cs, and worse case scenario, have your licence cancelled etc etc etc.

I thought the moorings in the centre of Nottingham (along by the Castle) were 48 hour ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

the combination of the A453 widening and tramworks though Beeston/Chillwell have made the commute from anywhere on the west of Nottingham horrendous!! I'd rather not bridge hop - Ive been asking CRT about a mooring at Beeston for years - guess one day one will come up. I hadn't really thought of moving the boat in before, but a friend of mine has a boat at Castle Marina on the towpath, and has said he'd watch the boat when I'm not on it (I am only on it 4 days a week), and I've had it at Beeston a few times before with no issues (I've tended to move it back to Shardlow, rather than move a shorter distance though). In winter, this is more tricky as the Trent can often be up for weeks at a time, and its really the winter when having the boat closer would make more of a difference (setting a fire in so I don't come back to a stone cold boat at 9 at night for example).

I'll look out for the CRT advice for boaters with a home mooring - hadn't seen they had any before. The local EO appears to be out so much they don't reply to emails, so will also have a chat to them before I do anything.. Will probably "try" the moving about a bit over the summer anyway - I don't have to hop between two locations, as could easily enough use Cranfleet, Sandiacre, Zouch, Sawley as well, though those locations I'd have to drive to work (though Thane Rd would be OK). I've read the recent CRT vs case when someone was blocked in by floods on the Nott/Beeston canal, so am aware the local EO might be a certain sort... And I also know Nottingham has a bit of an issue with CMers.

I just thought I'd ask, as it appeared I may not be in breach of any regs.

Of course by October time, the A453 will be duelled and the Tramworks may even be finished, in which case the commute might become tolerable again!

Edited by FidoDido

The question is - "Do you want to comply with the law, or, with C&RTs T&Cs" as the two are at odds with each other.

It's interesting as according to Nigel Moore, CRT are obliged to issue a licence if the boat has a BSS, insurance and a home mooring.

How this fits in with failure to comply with ANY of the raft of T&Cs one agrees to when applying for a licence remains to be tested in court.

MtB

Does that mean they can refuse to allow you to CC?

What a strange question. Nothing stopping you declaring CC status instead of taking a home mooring.

(Given the 'CCer' is shorthand for 'boat without a home mooring'.)

What a strange question. Nothing stopping you declaring CC status instead of taking a home mooring.

(Given the 'CCer' is shorthand for 'boat without a home mooring'.)

Sorry Mike it was the way you said "CRT are obliged to issue a licence if the boat has a BSS, insurance and a home mooring." which the way I read it meant they could if you didn't declare a mooring.

They are obliged to issue a licence if you have a BSS, insurance and either

A ) have a home mooring, or

B ) undertake to CC.

You must pick one or the other to get a licence.

I imagine you could choose B ) and keep your home mooring a secret from them if you wished, but this would seem pretty pointless!

(Eidt out the smiley from B, and add my last comment. )

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

They are obliged to issue a licence if you have a BSS, insurance and either

A ) have a home mooring, or

B ) undertake to CC.

You must pick one or the other to get a licence.

I imagine you could choose B ) and keep your home mooring a secret from them if you wished, but this would seem pretty pointless!

(Eidt out the smiley from B, and add my last comment. )

Thanks for the clarification it must have been how I read it, as I thought that was the position.

It's interesting as according to Nigel Moore, CRT are obliged to issue a licence if the boat has a BSS, insurance and a home mooring.

How this fits in with failure to comply with ANY of the raft of T&Cs one agrees to when applying for a licence remains to be tested in court.

MtB

It was almost tested in court but CRT bottled it when they went after Tony Dunkley for doing pretty much exactly what the op suggests.

It was almost tested in court but CRT bottled it when they went after Tony Dunkley for doing pretty much exactly what the op suggests.

Something really odd that happened just prior to them deciding not to continue was that they sent me a letter saying that they would only issue me with a Licence as a CC'er and not as a boat with a home mooring.

Would anyone like to speculate on the thinking and intentions behind that ?

Something really odd that happened just prior to them deciding not to continue was that they sent me a letter saying that they would only issue me with a Licence as a CC'er and not as a boat with a home mooring.

Would anyone like to speculate on the thinking and intentions behind that ?

They were already planning the T&C changes for home moorers, knew they would lose your case and wanted you on the "other version" before they brought in the new T&C.

They knew losing your case would rubbish their new T&C.