Satellite cable connectors - is there any point?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Is there really any point in using these connectors? The cable is pushed into the back of the connector and the connector is screwed to the LNB on the dish which means the cable core sticks into the hole. However, the cable itself is not actually fixed to the connector and you're supposed to used some waterproof tape around it to keep the cable in the connector.

I don't understand the design. What's the point of the connector ? Since there's nothing to prevent the cable coming out of the connector apart from the tape, why not just push the cable core directly into the hole in the LNB (without the connector) and use some tape to hold it there?

Are there any better alternatives to these useless items? What it needs is a small grub screw in the side of the knurled cylinder to clamp the cable in place.

357-1-large.jpg

Edited by blackrose

If you use the correct diameter satellite grade cable you remove the outer cover exposing the braid. The braid is then trapped between the inner insulator and the metal thread of the connector. If you do not do it correctly you will have a bad earth and lots of signal loss. I think you will be lucky to get a picture.

This may help you -

Ok thanks, but if I tape the braid to the outside male thread of the LNB socket then it's the same, no?

Makes me laugh when the pushes the knurled cylinder of the F-connector over the cable and screws it on saying it will "cut its own thread". It does nothing of the sort and will easily pull out.

F-connectors are just poorly designed in my opinion.

Edited by blackrose

We've used the screw onto the cable connectors with our freeview satellite system (dual LNB) for the past 4 years, I've never had to re-make the connection and can always get 100% signal strength and quality if there is line of sight to the satellite. Although we are not live aboard, we keep the magmount dish inside when we cruise each day, and put it outside and plug those F connectors in each night, maybe 100 insertions and removals each year.

We use the ones that push onto the external socket so there is nothing to screw up - just push in and go watch telly. One of those is starting to degrade a bit, the tensioning ring is bust but it still works if perhaps a little too easy to pull off now. At the other end are the screw in F connectors which have been perfect.

So I think the OP is deriding them only because he doesn't really understand how they should work. Any thought that taping the cable on might be as good or better, is quite wrong.

Makes me laugh when the pushes the knurled cylinder of the F-connector over the cable and screws it on saying it will "cut its own thread". It does nothing of the sort and will easily pull out.

Only because you are using the wrong size of cable for the particular F connector. With the right size of cable it does cut its own thread and will be very hard to pull off. Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

Is there really any point in using these connectors? The cable is pushed into the back of the connector and the connector is screwed to the LNB on the dish which means the cable core sticks into the hole. However, the cable itself is not actually fixed to the connector and you're supposed to used some waterproof tape around it to keep the cable in the connector.

I don't understand the design. What's the point of the connector ? Since there's nothing to prevent the cable coming out of the connector apart from the tape, why not just push the cable core directly into the hole in the LNB (without the connector) and use some tape to hold it there?

Are there any better alternatives to these useless items? What it needs is a small grub screw in the side of the knurled cylinder to clamp the cable in place.

I think it comes down to what they were designed for - mainly domestic use where they are pretty well a permanent fixture, if they get distributed frequently as in an installation on a boat they are less good.

I fine they are better with a good lump of the screening braid pushed back over the insulation they they then 'screw' on rather than push on pretty securely, I then trim any excess screening braid off. (though for double measure I concede I tape them aswell.)

Ok thanks, but if I tape the braid to the outside male thread of the LNB socket then it's the same, no?

F-connectors are just poorly designed in my opinion

You could try having a look here http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm. The reason your f plugs pull off is that you are using the wrong size plugs. They should be matched to the cable diameter.

Satcure have a lot of interesting stuff and useful advice. One very good bit of advice is not to ignore the suggestion to use silicon grease, it can and frequently does make a difference.

As Rich says - use the correct diameter cable and they are fine for their intended use - a good strong grip on the folded back braid/foil screening tape, and the screw on connector is perfectly strong enough - would pull the connector out of the TV / sat box if you pulled on it hard enough...

If you are worried about longevity / corrosion, you could brush with ACF-50 before wrapping in self-amalgamating tape, which is what I do for external connections - never had a problem...

Another excellent site for information and supplies is http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ The chap only does TV related stuff, is very knowledgable and despatches overnight on same day if ordered before about 15-00 hours - now my preferred supplier... ( no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Nick

As Rich says - use the correct diameter cable and they are fine for their intended use - a good strong grip on the folded back braid/foil screening tape, and the screw on connector is perfectly strong enough - would pull the connector out of the TV / sat box if you pulled on it hard enough...

If you are worried about longevity / corrosion, you could brush with ACF-50 before wrapping in self-amalgamating tape, which is what I do for external connections - never had a problem...

Another excellent site for information and supplies is http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ The chap only does TV related stuff, is very knowledgable and despatches overnight on same day if ordered before about 15-00 hours - now my preferred supplier... ( no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Nick

That guy is good. I once bought an aerial for the boat from him and it arrived resembling a banana having been badly damaged in transit. I rang him strait away and he immediately dispatched a replacement no questions asked and without waiting to see the damaged one returned.

The web site is good too.

use self-amalgamating tape (properly!) not pvc tape to get a good waterproof seal that will stay put.

I use a small length of cable attached to the LNB then good quality line F-type connectors to connect up. Makes it easier to use a sat-finder as well.

So I think the OP is deriding them only because he doesn't really understand how they should work. Any thought that taping the cable on might be as good or better, is quite wrong.

Only because you are using the wrong size of cable for the particular F connector. With the right size of cable it does cut its own thread and will be very hard to pull off.

Not at all. I understand how they work perfectly (there isn't really that much to understand!)

What makes you think I was using the wring size of cable fro the connector? Again, you've assumed wrongly. The cable was the right size but could still be pulled out fairly easily.

Finally I did use tape temporarily and it works just as well as the connector - obviously not in the long term - but until I find something more secure it will be fine.

Edited by blackrose

Not at all. I understand how they work perfectly (there isn't really that much to understand!)

What makes you think I was using the wring size of cable fro the connector? Again, you've assumed wrongly. The cable was the right size but could still be pulled out fairly easily.

Finally I did use tape temporarily and it works just as well as the connector - obviously not in the long term - but until I find something more secure it will be fine.

A simple question, just in case it proves a little too controversial for DeanS the moderator, but why don't you click on the link I provided and read why you so obviously have the incorrect F plugs and also the correct procedure for fitting them. If, after reading the piece you still feel you are right you could always email Martin and put him right. I am sure he would appreciate it.

If you can pull the plugs off then you undoubtedly have the wrong size plugs for the cable and it therefore follows that the supplier has got it wrong as well. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is a fact.

Mike I hate to say this but if you can pull the f-type connector off the cable then it is either the wrong size, yes there are two sizes and only about 0.75mm or so between them, or you have not terminated the cabe correctly.

In Mike's defence it's not blindingly obvious that there are different sizes of F plugs and cables (as there are with more mature types of plugs and sockets - I'm thinking of PL259 and that ilk).

I buy my connectors in quantity and the wholesaler never specifies the size - so I have to guess. The design is quite neat - so much better than the old style aerial plug and sockets. When you realise that the F-plug is fitted in millions and used in complex distribution systems without much trouble.

Even if you use crimp connectors, you're not guaranteed a perfect connection every time.

Mike I hate to say this but if you can pull the f-type connector off the cable then it is either the wrong size, yes there are two sizes and only about 0.75mm or so between them, or you have not terminated the cabe correctly.

Well perhaps I'll go back the manufacturer of the kit which included the cable and connectors and tell them that they don't know what they're doing.

I did terminate the cable properly. It's not difficult. Please credit me with some intelligence.

I'm not the only one here who thinks that F connectors are poorly designed. If the majority are happy with them that's fine, you carry on, but I will find a better way.

Edited by blackrose

I can list many better connectors and cable but they come at a cost.

My personal favorite are N-type I use it on just about all my RF stuff. Does the job with almost no losses and easy to fit.

ETA it wouldn't be the first system I have come across that was supplied with the wrong size connectors.

Edited by Loddon

A simple question, just in case it proves a little too controversial for DeanS the moderator, but why don't you click on the link I provided and read why you so obviously have the incorrect F plugs and also the correct procedure for fitting them. If, after reading the piece you still feel you are right you could always email Martin and put him right. I am sure he would appreciate it.

If you can pull the plugs off then you undoubtedly have the wrong size plugs for the cable and it therefore follows that the supplier has got it wrong as well. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is a fact.

No it's not a fact - unless the manufacturer of the kit has made a mistake.

I did read the piece from the link.

Unfortunately Dean's rather clumsy and unnecessary censorship has removed the post in which I said that I accidentally hit the connector with a box of something heavy. If tensile forces are applied in the same plane as the connector perhaps the connector has a decent mechanical strength, however they are easily disconnected by shear forces.

No it's not a fact - unless the manufacturer of the kit has made a mistake.

I did read the piece from the link.

Unfortunately Dean's rather clumsy and unnecessary censorship has removed the post in which I said that I accidentally hit the connector with a box of something heavy. If tensile forces are applied in the same plane as the connector perhaps the connector has a decent mechanical strength, however they are easily disconnected by shear forces.

But you said in your OP that the cable is pushed into the connector and if you can do this, unless your supplier has an entirely new form of F plug, the cable is too small or the connector is too big (same thing, different perspective).

My plugs are fitted as per the link and, without the use of a tool of some kind they will not pull off. Now you are saying that you assaulted them in some strange fashion to produce a shear force and they failed. I don't think that they were ever expected to survive that, whatever it was.

These plugs are used in satellite dish, and in some cases antenna installations, all over the country and there are not mass complaints anywhere about them. Perhaps you should go back to the manufacturer, who is it, and ask if the plugs should pull out. It has been known for suppliers and manufacturers to sometimes make packing mistakes and as all the plugs are very similar it would be difficult to tell at a glance.

If you can push and pull the plugs off the cable with little effort something is the wrong size and you can post in upper case letters if it makes you feel better but it doesn't alter the fact that something is wrong.

Actually, I would suggest that if you can screw the connectors onto the cable using your fingers alone then the plugs are too big, mine need at least a pair of pliers and the silicon grease to get them on.

ETA it wouldn't be the first system I have come across that was supplied with the wrong size connectors.

Somehow I think I might struggle to convince the manufacturer that the hundreds of thousands of kits they make are supplied with the wrong size connectors.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. As you say, there are better connectors available, so clearly things can be improved.

Blackrose: As you are having trouble with conventional F connectors, try these: I've used them and they have had a lot of use without failure. Much easier to screw on and off if you have to frequently disconnect: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/quick-click-f-plug-n77hx

quick-click-f-plug.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o I would still use a standard screw-on F-type with self-amalgamating tape for a semi-permanent connection.

Edited by dor