Tracer 40Amp MPPT Controller

pig

Featured Posts

Hi does anyone have one of these controllers?

Mine has arrived from Bimble, (2 x 250w panels to follow), and I'm wondering where to mount it.

My question is, how warm/hot does it get when working? My preferred install location is in an enclosed space, but clearly that wouldn't be good if it needs to dump a lot of heat.

Thanks for any info. BTW mine is the new model, 4215 BN.

Cheers

Neil

My experience is that though mppt controllers are quite efficient at 94-97%, they do need to dissipate quite a lot of heat when panels are producing near max output.

The cooling fins on the casing should give a clue, so location in a well ventilated area should be a priority.

We have a Tracer MPPT fitted in our trad style engine room where it gets pretty warm with the engine going. So far no problems, though we haven't experienced really hot sunny summer weather yet since fitting it.

Ditto.

I had the 30amp version mounted on the wall in a trad engine room. It is reasonably well ventilated and i wouldn't describe it as an enclosed space, but i can get quite warm in there when the engine is running. Never experienced any problems with the Tracer unit.

We have a 40 amp New Model Tracer, wall mounted in our electricity cupboard. It's been connected since January this year, to 500w of panels. No fans or anything, but the cupboard it's in is quite large.

So far I haven't noticed the controller getting at all hot, though obviously it's not running at anywhere near full capacity yet. Having said that, it was putting 17 amps into the batteries around 11am this morning cool.png .

Ours is also mounted in a traditional engine room. The fins can feel warm but they didn't feel hot on a paticularly hot sunny day. Ours is the 20amp version. It is mounted just below the gunwale. I thought it looked too big in its silver finish so it was painted dark green to match the existing paintwork. I left just the small silver panel showing at the front. Looks much better.

I was getting 22 amps from my 500w this am, but that's not when it will run hot, I think. I imagine it's when receiving 30a but only sticking one or two amps into the batteries that it will run hotter. That is conjecture however!

Well don't forget that when it is only sticking an amp or two into the batteries, it will only be pulling an amp or less from the panels so it is not as if it is dissipating the potential surplus power. There will be losses associated with the rapid switching on and off of the control electronics, the resistance of the inductor which is a core element of the buck converter, the power diode which is ditto, and so (although having no practical experience) I would expect it to get hottest when it is putting maximum current into the batteries on a sunny day, with a string of panels whose Voc is close to the maximum allowed.

Many thanks for all the replies. I will mount the controller in the place where I planned. It's not a very small, confined space, it's just not got good ventilation. I'll keep a very close eye on it initially, particularly on a sunny morning with low batteries!

Cheers

Neil