Pirate flags

blackrose

Featured Posts

I realise there's no accounting for taste, but why do some of these people do it? Is it just newbies?

A couple of "Hugos" completely new to boats, just moved onto the moorings where I am and now they're flying a great big flag on their boat. It's brought the whole tone of the place down a couple of notches. I just think it's silly, but my other neighbours feel more strongly. I could understand it from a 7 year old, but they're in their 50s with no kids.

• Greenie 1

I realise there's no accounting for taste, but why do some of these people do it? Is it just newbies?

A couple of "Hugos" completely new to boats, just moved onto the moorings where I am and now they're flying a great big flag on their boat. It's brought the whole tone of the place down a couple of notches. I just think it's silly, but my other neighbours feel more strongly. I could understand it from a 7 year old, but they're in their 50s with no kids.

So I suppose we better not fly our "boxing kangaroo" flag or the Aussie flag when we are tootling around the Cheshire ring in May

Maybe they are just doing it for a bit of a laugh, or to amuse grandkids when they visit or even just because they can?

I think you and your neighbours perhaps need to lighten up a bit TBH. What real harm are they doing? I wouldn't do it myself either but I am certainly not going to decry somebody who does.

So I suppose we better not fly our "boxing kangaroo" flag or the Aussie flag when we are tootling around the Cheshire ring in May

I realise you were not being serious but you certainly should fly yours. We used to like spotting hire boaters from far off lands by virtue of the flags they flew. Always a good conversation starter.

I realise you were not being serious but you certainly should fly yours. We used to like spotting hire boaters from far off lands by virtue of the flags they flew. Always a good conversation starter.

I can guarantee that we will have the Aussie flag at the stern and the boxing kangaroo on the bow.

We were once asked if we were from America when some teenagers in Middlewich saw our flag!!!!!

We fly ours (and a British flag - small ones). It's the only time we get people to say hello or a friendly wave!

An Aussie flag (or flag of any country) I can understand, but pirate flags are just naff on canal boats. This particular pirate flag is about 6ft x 4ft so it's a bit of an eyesore. It does no harm but it's just in poor taste in my opinion. Perhaps it's a chavvy canal thing, you don't see so many on the rivers.

Edited by blackrose

An Aussie flag I can understand, but pirate flags are just naff on canal boats. This particular pirate flag is about 6ft x 4ft so it's a bit of an eyesore. It does no harm but it's just in poor taste in my opinion. Perhaps it's a chavvy canal thing, you don't see so many on the rivers.

Clearly you have never boated on the Norfolk Broads.

Will most certainly flag the rental on our holliday trip on the Forth&Clyde and Edinburgh union canal with a Swedish guest flag.

Worked a charm as conversaiton starter in the past.boat.gif

Not so sure about what Flag to fly above it though recent events considered, Union Jack or the St Andrews Cross?

Would be a let down if the conversation starts with "omont'n"".argue.gif

Added:

And forgot what I was coming to, apparently the Jolly Roger is not an option either then?

Edited by forsberg

No. Lots of them there?

Well there always was when we have boated there - principally on hire boats though, along with crews actually dressed as pirates too, all done in the name of having a bit of fun AFAIK.

I think you and your neighbours perhaps need to lighten up a bit TBH. What real harm are they doing? I wouldn't do it myself either but I am certainly not going to decry somebody who does.

That's up to you, but sometimes people want to say what they think. What harm is there in expressing oneself as long as you're not hurting anyone?

Nobody's having a go at them, but a couple of people just mentioned they didn't like it to me and I agreed. Just as they are free to fly their flag, we are free to dislike it. That's freedom of expression. Perhaps it's you that needs to lighten up.

Edited by blackrose

That's up to you, but sometimes people want to say what they think. What harm is there in expressing oneself as long as you're not hurting anyone? Perhaps it's you that needs to lighten up?

That will be a bit like I have just done then.........

Maybe you and your neighbours should have a quiet word with the 'chavs' that have come amongst you and lowered the tone of the area? You know in a sort of 'welcome to the boating community' sort of way.

I have a vague feeling that flying a pirate flag on a British ship is still an offence that ha snot been repealed. However I also understand that a court case involving an insurance assessor being thrown off an inland boat gave grounds to believe canal boats may not be considered British ships (SSR registered or not) in respect of maritime law.

An Aussie flag (or flag of any country) I can understand, but pirate flags are just naff on canal boats. This particular pirate flag is about 6ft x 4ft so it's a bit of an eyesore. It does no harm but it's just in poor taste in my opinion. Perhaps it's a chavvy canal thing, you don't see so many on the rivers.

I wouldn't be so sure of that!

Try having this mottley crew as your neighbours.

31CE0286-3AA2-4586-9A49-4C5F611CD39D.jpg

B588D97B-A912-4F60-A78A-55BC86346760.jpg

No. Lots of them there?

Loads.

Maybe they are just doing it for a bit of a laugh, or to amuse grandkids when they visit or even just because they can?

Flying your mother country flag is to be applauded but only if you also fly a smaller English courtesy flag, but as far as the jolly Roger is concerned, that is so naff and in my opinion akin to wearing a prat hat (captains hat white with scrambled egg)

Phil

Sometimes, instead of the pirate flag, which makes a regular appearance with this lot:

548673_10151425675418312_383176179_n.jpg

We fly the beer flag instead ohmy.png

10458746_776865869032723_709775565390622

We know how to confirm our "chav" status, especially on the Norfolk Broads laugh.png

Flying your mother country flag is to be applauded but only if you also fly a smaller English courtesy flag, but as far as the jolly Roger is concerned, that is so naff and in my opinion akin to wearing a prat hat (captains hat white with scrambled egg)
Phil

I will make sure we have ours aloft as we pass your moorings this summer cheers.gif

Oh and I might see of Liam will wearhis captains hat as well captain.gif

Chavs or Flags?

I have a vague feeling that flying a pirate flag on a British ship is still an offence that ha snot been repealed. However I also understand that a court case involving an insurance assessor being thrown off an inland boat gave grounds to believe canal boats may not be considered British ships (SSR registered or not) in respect of maritime law.

Moreover, I believe that anyone flying the jolly roger is liable to have his boat confiscated by any citizen bold enough to make a citizen's arrest of the skipper and crew, according to ancient piracy laws.

So flying that naff flag could result in your having to go to court to regain possession of your vessel.

Moreover, I believe that anyone flying the jolly roger is liable to have his boat confiscated by any citizen bold enough to make a citizen's arrest of the skipper and crew, according to ancient piracy laws.

So flying that naff flag could result in your having to go to court to regain possession of your vessel.

Highly unlikely however in this day and age!

At what point did you people stop having fun? rolleyes.gif

Highly unlikely however in this day and age!

At what point did you people stop having fun? :rolleyes:

I'm all for people having fun, and whether it is tasteful or not is a very. I think we can all have a lapse in taste; in fact some people even own yoghurt pots

However, it is worth remembering that piracy still exists in many parts of the world, and people have been killed, or subjected to extended periods of captivity by pirates who are not fun people in any way! Piracy is not fun, it is brutal and cruel, and in my opinion it is not a subject for mirth.

Please give this a passing thought next time you hoist the black flag!

Howard

I think people are very well aware of the truth about pirates and are especially aware of the modern sort and how ruthless they are.

The standard pirate flag beloved of kids and boaters of many flavours including me is more about the Hollywood pirates , look how popular Pirates of the Caribbean and other such popular entertainments are.

In conclusion , lighten up folks .