Gulper pump on/off switch suggestions

Mike at Mayroyd

Featured Posts

Mine is just an ordinary light switch outside the shower area. That has worked fine for the last 30 odd years. I have seen waterproof push button type switches which are only used when you want to empty the shower base. I assume the advantage of that sort of switch is that it is only used when you want to empty the waste water so saving battery power.

Mine is a architrave light switch works perfectly as would a standard light switch .

Switch on before getting in shower switch off with dry hands after getting out of shower and letting pump clear all water.

Hi,

Any switch will do, but I would recommend one with a red neon indicator which glows when it is on - reason - if someone showers when the boat is underway it's easy to forget to switch the shower pump off.

The gulper can be run dry, but an indicator is useful (remember to add to list of jobs to do this year.... and don't ask me how i found out about this).

Hi,Any switch will do, but I would recommend one with a red neon indicator which glows when it is on - reason - if someone showers when the boat is underway it's easy to forget to switch the shower pump off.The gulper can be run dry, but an indicator is useful (remember to add to list of jobs to do this year.... and don't ask me how i found out about this).

Hmmmm. Neons only work at mains voltage!

Hi,

Any switch will do, but I would recommend one with a red neon indicator which glows when it is on - reason - if someone showers when the boat is underway it's easy to forget to switch the shower pump off.

The gulper can be run dry, but an indicator is useful (remember to add to list of jobs to do this year.... and don't ask me how i found out about this).

When you had Keb you had a nice quiet pump. As you know I have fitted a gulper and whilst it is a very efficient pump it is so noisy I can quite clearly hear it over the noise of the engine. Not a lot of chance of leaving it on even if the engine is running. I could fit a 12volt indicator bulb or neon but I don't think there is any need.

Edited by pete.i

When you had Keb you had a nice quiet pump. As you know I have fitted a gulper and whilst it is a very efficient pump it is so noisy I can quite clearly hear it over the noise of the engine. Not a lot of chance of leaving it on even if the engine is running. I could fit a 12volt indicator bulb or neon but I don't think there is any need.

Hi Pete,

Hope you are well, 1.5s are nice quiet engines, and Gardners aren't bad, but there is no door between the engine room and shower room and the engine wins each time also the pump is mounted under a covering which helps absorb the sound.

Mike

I am not sure what 'running dry' means; usually, with most sump systems there will be some residual water to cool the pump.

A switch like Blackrose's is OK but if you ocaisionally have small children aboard pull switches for light and shower pump that can easily be extended to within their reach are more convenient.

Alan

Of course the best way is to make it automatic. I recently installed flow switches in the shower feed pipes so the pump turns on automatically as soon as you start to shower. It does need a delayed-off function to keep pumping for a bit after you stop the shower and I appreciate that wiring up a bit of electronics might be beyond some folk but f you can manage it, that is definitely the best way.

My shower has what looks like the heated rear window switch from a 70s Rover P6, right next to the shower taps at waist height. Don't know how long it's been installed but in the two years I've owned the boat, it's worked perfectly, despite being in direct line of the shower head.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now!

Rob

I've used switches from Herga in the past. They have a range of different switches and buttons.

http://www.herga.com/switches-by-herga/detail.php?sid=12&tid=3&did=Push-Button-Switches

http://www.herga.com/industrial-pressure-and-vacuum-switches/index.php

The button is installed in the shower via a hole drilled in the tile and is connected to the switch using a small plastic pipe. There is no chance of water and electricity mixing if it's done correctly.

Works well when you get in the shower but have forgotten to switch on the pump!

Steve

I am not sure what 'running dry' means; usually, with most sump systems there will be some residual water to cool the pump.

I thought the OP was going to use his gulper to drain the shower tray direct without any sump box. That was the whole point of the thread surely?

Most people with gulpers don't use sump boxes, and from my own experience over the last 10 years of using a gulper, it's quite easy to run the pump dry.

Of course the best way is to make it automatic. I recently installed flow switches in the shower feed pipes so the pump turns on automatically as soon as you start to shower. It does need a delayed-off function to keep pumping for a bit after you stop the shower and I appreciate that wiring up a bit of electronics might be beyond some folk but f you can manage it, that is definitely the best way.

Each to their own. I prefer mine manually switched. Simple systems are best in my opinion.

It's not exactly difficult to flick a switch...

Edited by blackrose

• 8 years later...
On 09/02/2015 at 00:01, nicknorman said:

@Nicknorman, what flow switches did you use? I'm interested in installing the same setup.

11 hours ago, skunther said:

@Nicknorman, what flow switches did you use? I'm interested in installing the same setup.

These ones: https://www.rapidonline.com/measurement-specialities-fs-10-meas-copper-bodied-flow-switch-61-1358

Please note that you can’t switch a pump directly with these as the current rating is insufficient and also you need the pump to continue to run for a few seconds after you turn the shower off, to avoid water being left in the shower tray. Also they must be installed in a vertical run of pipe.

• Greenie 1

On 08/02/2015 at 14:18, b0atman said:

Mine is a architrave light switch works perfectly as would a standard light switch .

Switch on before getting in shower switch off with dry hands after getting out of shower and letting pump clear all water.

I know in theory the Gulper can pump dry but it can't really do it any good. The trouble with a switch outside the shower is that the pump will be running the whole time you're in there. I think most of us on boats turn the shower off while we're lathering up to save water and switch it back on to rinse off. 

My switch is located where it can be reached both inside and outside the shower.

The extractor fan switch is on the outside as that can be left on the whole time.

IMG_20230508_163533.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Yes, we too got rid of the useless Attwood automatic sump box and replaced it with a Gulper. I just switch it on with one of these pull switches, can't be accidentally knocked on, only off!20230508_180817.thumb.jpg.2be401eb052c3d73e2ed681c9f44d9dc.jpg20230508_180817.thumb.jpg.2be401eb052c3d73e2ed681c9f44d9dc.jpg

35 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

Yes, we too got rid of the useless Attwood automatic sump box and replaced it with a Gulper. I just switch it on with one of these pull switches, can't be accidentally knocked on, only off!20230508_180817.thumb.jpg.2be401eb052c3d73e2ed681c9f44d9dc.jpg20230508_180817.thumb.jpg.2be401eb052c3d73e2ed681c9f44d9dc.jpg

And I fitted exactly the same 'pull' switch to mine. 

Worked a treat for the whole 20 years I owned that boat.