Loo paper for macerater loo

Sarahr

Featured Posts

We have a macerater loo and use the suitable loo paper it is rather more expensive than normal loo paper I was wondering if the cheap low quality paper you can buy in the supermarket is any good for macerater loos especially the thinner stuff. I do not want to try it in case it makes the loo go wrong, but wondered if anyone has tried it on their loos?

This is really what I wanted to know, what sort of paper everybody uses as the stuff we are using is quite costly and if we can use household paper without damaging the system it would be good, I am reluctant to experiment as the job of clearing any blockages does not appeal!!

A tip we picked up from a hirer was that if a macerator type loo gets blocked, it is worth reversing the motor supply terminals and blipping it on as required, as it may well "unblock" itself...

( keep the loo lid down in case it unblocks itself too quickly / well !! )

clapping.gif

sick.gif

Nick

• Greenie 1

been using Tesco value for a year now. Had problems but due to hard water rather than the bog roll (Make sure to regularly clear the limescale if in a hard water area, otherwise you will have to get familiar with the innards!)

Edited by wiltshirewonderer

Nobody's explained the glass of water test. Place a sheet of the paper in a glass of water. Let stand for a couple of minutes, then stir. If the paper disintegrates, it will be fine.

In our experience, almost all normal loo rolls are ok, but not quilted ones and some recycled ones can be sticky. The problem with very cheap stuff, of course, is the risk of brown fingernail syndrome, but that's nothing to do with the loo. Avoid all baby wipes, workshop towel and the like.

There's absolutely no need to pay for special paper!

been using Tesco value for a year now. Had problems but due to hard water rather than the bog roll (Make sure to regularly clear the limescale if in a hard water area, otherwise you will have to get familiar with the innards!)

Oh yes limescale has to be mentioned, when we did have a macerator at first I did nothing until it struggled to do the job. Investigation proved that the flexible pipes only had a hole through them the diameter of a pencil. After that I made a point of removing the pipes and descaling them yearly. Having flexi pipes it was easy , just needed to beat them with a rubber mallet and used kettle descaler.

Phil

I've also had grief (very recently) from limescale in the pipework. 2 1/4" rigid pipe with a remaining bore of maybe a 1/4"

now replaced with flexible that I intend to beat the ......(how apt B) )....out of on a regular basis

Oh what fun we boaters have.

Phil

I've also had grief (very recently) from limescale in the pipework. 2 1/4" rigid pipe with a remaining bore of maybe a 1/4"

now replaced with flexible that I intend to beat the ......(how apt B) )....out of on a regular basis

Regular use (once per six months) of LeeSan LeeScale makes a big difference.

We find that cheap paper is not the way forward.Try the pint of water test and see how the paper behaves.We have used Andrex for years without any problems.

We did the pint of water test and found that Sainsburys basic toilet paper was the best.

Echoing other posts - cheap supermarket brands are fine, but avoid quilted or luxurious (!) brands. And don't let anyone put baby wipes down there.

All loo rolls contain some recycled paper, but so-called 'recycled' loo rolls have very little fresh pulp in the mix.

The concept of recycled loo paper always worries me!

Quilted toilet paper? I was brought up with the shiny stuff.

Later while working for Her Maj, the paper had Government Service or something like that printed on EVERY sheet. I mean you seriously would not nick the stuff.