What size bilge pump recommended for narrowboat

Featured Posts

The bilge pump has to be able to pump out more water than gets in, so it will depend on the size of the hole in your hull. wink.png

I know ...banned.gif

trouble is it's true ! remember the finest bilge pump in the world is a terrified man and a bucket!!!

Why change it? if you want another ? have two, more is better , failures, blockages etc

We are on deepish a river so if we sink we are at least 4ft under water so I have two pumps at the stern and one in the bow plus two spare

I will fit another in the bow one day just in case

Ray

Generally speaking a blge pump found on most small boats is incapable of keeping up with any real water ingress even from a damaged seacock and are mainly used to clear small leaks, greenies on seagoing boats and rain ingress. I think many are actually oversized for this purpouse so can't really see a point in increasing the size of your current 25l per minute unit but another small one fitted a a "collection point" may clear better. You will find this interesting reading.

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/spages/how-to-specify-the-right-bilge-pump-for-your-vessel.htm