Avon Ring+

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi all

As some of you may have read we are doing the Avon ring this year and will have some spare days out of the 14 days.

So we are thinking of either going up to Birmingham or miss Birmingham and when we get to Tewkesbury go down to Gloucester .

The question is

where would you go if you were me

Birmingham or Gloucester? and why

Thanks for any info

Graham

Well I don't know what you like!

We moor near Gloucester so we know it well and like it.

We "did" Birmingham last year and loved it.

Both have amazing remnants of our industrial heritage, and both have some seriously grotty bits.

In the end my choice would be Gloucester because it's on a smaller scale, not at all overwhelming. Plus you could go down to Sharpness and see the amazing Severn!

Alternatively, you could just use the 'spare days' to allow you travel at a more relaxed pace, enjoy longer lunches and perhaps linger a little longer in some of the finer places you come across.

Otherwise, practically speaking, maybe earmark whichever one you're due to pass last as a possible detour and then decide to visit or not based on the actual amount of 'spare time' available.

As Keble has said, if going to Gloucester you really should carry on down to Sharpness. We really like mooring near Sharpness for a weekend with fantastic views out across the Severn. However, Birmingham is also a worthwhile journey and not adding much if you are going through King's Norton junction.

What we are thinking is if we don't go to Gloucester this year we may never get by narrow boat as we doubt we will ever do that area again .

But Birmingham we could do when we are on other rings ie black ring or stourport ring

Graham

Personally it would be sharpeness for me, i love the run down from gloucester, though i must admit i havent been down there for a number of years, but i particularly liked the bridge keepers who took pride in their gardens and just the lovely scenery down there along with a number of nice watering holes and of course the mix of boats, it is such a shame the saul festival is no more, unless somebody knows different.

Rick

Here's one of those views of the Severn

7cf36408.jpg

There was a slightly different Saul festival last summer, organised by IWA this time.

Pretty good but different from the old ones.

I don't think anything is planned for this year.

What we are thinking is if we don't go to Gloucester this year we may never get by narrow boat as we doubt we will ever do that area again .

But Birmingham we could do when we are on other rings ie black ring or stourport ring

Graham

Sounds like you have answered your own question. wink.png

If you have the opportunity to "do" Birmingham on other cruises, then Glawster, and the G&S canal is your best bet!

So, if it's to be Gloucester, take time to check out the tides for your dates. At high water springs, the lower Severn wiers in the normally non-tidal section can be over-run by the incoming tides, bringing upstream with them all kinds of detritus which has built up against them, even fallen trees. I'm no expert on the lower Severn, but I did meet this phenomena last summer. It was no big issue to me as I was aware and had the time to wait it out, which you may not. The lock keepers will give you guidance, but there's sure to be someone here who knows the area well and can advise.

So, if it's to be Gloucester, take time to check out the tides for your dates. At high water springs, the lower Severn wiers in the normally non-tidal section can be over-run by the incoming tides, bringing upstream with them all kinds of detritus which has built up against them, even fallen trees. I'm no expert on the lower Severn, but I did meet this phenomena last summer. It was no big issue to me as I was aware and had the time to wait it out, which you may not. The lock keepers will give you guidance, but there's sure to be someone here who knows the area well and can advise.

Anything over about 7.4 metres at Sharpness will overtop the weirs at Llanthony and Maisemore.

Sharpness tidal information is available below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/12/522a

You can use the info above to work out if there is likely to be a tide on a particular day.

If there is, I'd recommend talking with one of the lockies about the timing of it in the river, bigger tides seem to travel up the river faster.

Generally the lockies will not let you out onto the tidal section if a tide is imminent.

Good point that you can add Birmingham to other holidays. Don't forget there's lots of the bcn to explore.

It depends what you like doing. For me, especially when hiring, I like locks. The Severn and the g & s involve waiting around for lockies or bridge keepers. The bridges on the G&s and the Severn locks only open during certain hours - so no chance of very early mornings or late evening boating. In addition 2 bridges stay shut to boaters during busy times. Oh and Sunday morning the first bridge out of Gloucester basin doesn't open until the bridge keeper had been round checking who was moored in the basin. None of these matter if you are happy taking your time and not doing locks. We only found out restrictions as we went along.The rewards on the g&s are pretty villages and good views. We also enjoyed visiting Slimbridge by boat but I'm not sure I'd want to spend a fair sum out on that whilst also paying to hire a boat.

I'm sure others will disagree but I found the Severn boring between upton and Gloucester as just lots of trees on bank, not a lot else to see. Just remembered there is a lovely thythe barn to stop off at but otherwise I think no mooring.

One final point is to watch the weather as the Severn gets shut when river levels rise.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to do.

The Gloucester & Sharpness is well worth doing, lovely moorings in Gloucester too. Worth a read of

http://www.gloucesterharbourtrustees.org.uk/pdf/Boaters_Guide_%281%29.pdf

Particularly regarding entering Gloucester lock, but I found it not as difficult as it reads. Definately worth calling ahead to the locks, especially Gloucester so that it's ready on arrival.