Half Share in New/Newish Narrowboat

dekker

Featured Posts

My wife and I are considering buying a new boat this year.

We have been boating for nearly 30 years and consider ourselves "experienced" but still able to learn.

Our current boat is a 62 foot trad colecraft.

In order to make our boating more cost effective we would like to explore the possibility of a 50% boat

ownership with another like minded couple.

We are thinking of a boat between say 60-80k.

I know a lot of forums members are live-a-boards but is there anyone out there that this suggestion may

appeal to?

This may interest someone who already has a boat and is considering down using or selling.

General thoughts on open forum please.

Serious interest please PM me.

Thank you

There seems to be very little interest in boat sharing at the moment.

I have a third of my 57 ft boat for sale at the moment with very little interest (admittedly its an older boat) for less than £7000, which when considering there's over £10000 in the "pot" for licensing,maintenance etc means a third of the boat is on offer for about £3000!, this in a very well maintained and reliable boat.

I hope that you have better luck as it sounds like a good idea.

There seems to be very little interest in boat sharing at the moment.

I have a third of my 57 ft boat for sale at the moment with very little interest (admittedly its an older boat) for less than £7000, which when considering there's over £10000 in the "pot" for licensing,maintenance etc means a third of the boat is on offer for about £3000!, this in a very well maintained and reliable boat.

I hope that you have better luck as it sounds like a good idea.

I am surprised that you have had no takers.

looks like a bargain to me.

I've spoken to a fair few share boaters in my (admittedly limited) time, and without exception they have always said that there is a lot of "internal politics" involved in sharing a boat. A common complaint seems to recur, that one member of the share is a "clean freak" and will moan if the boat is not returned with the brasswork gleaming to within an inch of its life, which forces them to spend every spare moment with a rag in one hand and a tin of Brasso in the other.

I've spoken to a fair few share boaters in my (admittedly limited) time, and without exception they have always said that there is a lot of "internal politics" involved in sharing a boat. A common complaint seems to recur, that one member of the share is a "clean freak" and will moan if the boat is not returned with the brasswork gleaming to within an inch of its life, which forces them to spend every spare moment with a rag in one hand and a tin of Brasso in the other.

That was never a problem in my 22 years of sharing. We generally only met once a year to discuss what winter maintenance needed doing and where to moor the boat.

The problem with large shares in boats is peoples holiday time off work?

A twelfth share is common because it gives 4 weeks. Any more and you will need to be retired or self employed to take advantage of it.

Once I had retired, I sold the share and bought a whole boat, because I can now justify the cost with increased time on the boat.

The other surprise is running costs. Very high on a share boat due to the amount of use and limited opportunity to DIY.

My whole boat is costing about two and a half times the cost of a twelfth share, but I do have an end of garden mooring which reduces the mooring costs considerably.