GU tanks photos and sizes

madcat

Featured Posts

Do the capacities/sizes vary between small middle and large ? Any photos anybody cares to share. Mine seem to be different in the placement of the filler .

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that they're all pretty much the same.

Tim

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that they're all pretty much the same.

Tim

Not convinced......

I've looked, but don't have an adequate picture of "Flamingo's" ("Letchworth") that is good enough to post.

But assuming the top of the quarter tanks in a "Small" boat sit an inch or two below the gunwales, then the top of same tanks in a "Large" boat would sit 8" or 9" below the gunwales, because of the considerable difference in hull depth, (assuming both are the same height from the baseplate or not.

Almost certainly "Flamingo's" quarter tanks are tall enough that if put into a "Small" boat they would not fit under the gunwale.

I assume they are originals, although sadly have been mucked about to fill from outside, (though the vents remain inside - the opposite of the actual BSS exemption for "historics").

"Sickle" has new tanks "in the style" of its originals, but I doubt accurately sized, although they may have measured up "Tycho". Almost certainly it's quarter tanks are a lot shallower than "Flamingo's", but I realise that proves little.

I'll try and get some pictures next time, if you promise not to laugh at the oil that is splashed everywhere in "Flamingo"!

One odditiy that I discovered recently, when repairing/rebottoming the tanks for Small Woolwich, is that the inspection covers are held with 9/16" Whitworth setscrews. That's not a common size, probably never has been, and a couple of the screws had badly chewed threads. I failed to find new ones anywhere, ended up having to make them.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks , the photos are great and I would be interested in the dimensions of Tychos tanks next time you get a chance please Speedwheel.

I think probably small and Middle Northwich might have the same size but I've always thought the large boats had bigger tanks . I will measure mine when I get over the chesty lurgy thats lurking in my system.

Halsalls tanks are odd in that on the chimney side the filler is against the boats side but it's by the front engine room bulkhead on the other tank.

9/16 whit , we had one screw that didn't fit very well but Boris found a proper whit one in his box of useful bolts.

Any bright ideas on sealing the lids . Mine are tight at the moment but it's a bit of a bear of a job. I'm sure I will be confronted with the job next time I do a tank clean on a GU boat. Halsalls were done when out of the boat at Dadfords.

Cork gaskets greased both sides and Rocol Oil Seal on the threads with hemp wound around the threads. Tedious job, but necessary. Don't want to fill up and find it seeping into the bilge. Been there. Copper washers under the bolt heads maybe (if you can find them), but not vital. The steel ones should be good. It's the threads that need serious care.

Well below gunnel level. The top is level with the longitudinal rubbing strake:

113aEngineoleSmall_zps168363af.jpg

Cork gaskets greased both sides and Rocol Oil Seal on the threads with hemp wound around the threads. Tedious job, but necessary. Don't want to fill up and find it seeping into the bilge. Been there. Copper washers under the bolt heads maybe (if you can find them), but not vital. The steel ones should be good. It's the threads that need serious care.

Those lids appear to be clamped down with nuts, on studs or (more likely) bolts screwed up from below. Do you remember what thread they were? Either a later mod or a different maker, the ones I've been working on had 9/16"W screws into the tank top and a reinforcing ring below.

The joints were woven fibre impregnated with what was probably white lead. They were in good condition so were reused with a good coating of Stag, and Stag & hemp on the threads & under the heads of the screws.

Tim

The woven fibre joints are the best , mine are still ok and present . Boris used goo and sealed the threads carefully too.

The tanks has a compensating ring inside to stiffen the opening and it's threaded to accept the bolts . That's how Halsall is anyway

One of Fulbourne's tanks, which as far as we know are original. Looks to be quite a lot lower than Flamingo's.

I'm starting to wonder if Flamingo's are not an original item.

I can't see why that should be though.

I think it retained a National until about 1968, when it got replaced by a Lister HA - probably the one it still has. I don't think Willow Wren spent money on anything it didn't have to by then!

The engine room is "tired original", so I can't really think why the tanks would not be.

I'll not be there again for a few days, I think, but (subject to the large amount of clutter in the engine room), I'll try and get at least some pictures and dimensions.

Those lids appear to be clamped down with nuts, on studs or (more likely) bolts screwed up from below. Do you remember what thread they were? Either a later mod or a different maker, the ones I've been working on had 9/16"W screws into the tank top and a reinforcing ring below.

The joints were woven fibre impregnated with what was probably white lead. They were in good condition so were reused with a good coating of Stag, and Stag & hemp on the threads & under the heads of the screws.

Tim

Hi Tim, no they are bolts screwing into a reinforced ring below. I wish I could remember the thread sizes but you'll have to ask Speedwheel. I do remember some were real tight, like they had been stretched or of incorrect pitch (maybe they were!).

Derek

I'm starting to wonder if Flamingo's are not an original item.

I can't see why that should be though.

I think it retained a National until about 1968, when it got replaced by a Lister HA - probably the one it still has. I don't think Willow Wren spent money on anything it didn't have to by then!

The engine room is "tired original", so I can't really think why the tanks would not be.

I'll not be there again for a few days, I think, but (subject to the large amount of clutter in the engine room), I'll try and get at least some pictures and dimensions.

But would Big Woolwich tanks necessarily be the same as Big Northwich tanks anyway?

But would Big Woolwich tanks necessarily be the same as Big Northwich tanks anyway?

No, of course not.

What we need are pictures of Madcat's ones in Halsall, methinks.

Tiggy, if you don't want to face the "putting up pictures challenge" mail me anything you have, and I'll put them up on my Photobucket.

I like the exhaust heat exchanger in post no. 8.

Well spotted Roger!

I own the boat, and have been so busy either with medical problems, or trying to fire-fight further boat issues, that I hadn't even spotted that is what is there!

How much heat can usefully be extracted in this way?

what is not obvious in the photo is that the very unwieldy bent "vertical" rod to work the gears firmly fouls on the "pink" fuel header tank that has been installed on the bulkhead! frusty.gif

DSCF9725_zps6829fa09.jpg

Somewhere I have photos of one of the tanks swinging gaily on a strop as its lowered back into the boat . I will look it out and scan it to email to Alan .

To get photos of the odd top I will need to take one next visit to the boat, that might be a while because I'm a bit off colour ( thankfully not cat flu.)