I've just saved £1111 !!!

DaveC

Featured Posts

Yes, just saved £1111, that being the cost of the Gold Licence that we would have bought had we not sold the boat. Makes the tax on our motorhome seem cheap.

Next saving (over £3000) will be in March when the mooring fee would have been due.

Dave

As a poor old pensioner who has worked hard all his life and whose only pleasure is messing around in boats that sort of cost would leave me boatless. However we are fortunate enough to have given up boating in the UK and even with ferry and travel costs we now do our boating where its warmer, cheaper, less crowded and a lot less hassle.

Yes, just saved £1111, that being the cost of the Gold Licence that we would have bought had we not sold the boat. Makes the tax on our motorhome seem cheap.

Next saving (over £3000) will be in March when the mooring fee would have been due.

Dave

Your round, then. Which did you say was your local pub?

Enjoy your motor home travels.

Why don't you sell the motorhome and save even more money?

Yes, this gives me a great idea. If I top myself I won't have any expenses at all!

But in all seriousness, I don't understand how it's possible to base a saving on the most expensive licence available and a mooring for a boat that one no longer has?

Also I wonder, using this methodology, if one must necessariy have previously owned the item in question? If not, I've just saved about a million quid by not owning a Bugatti Veyron!

Edited by blackrose

Yes, this gives me a great idea. If I top myself I won't have any expenses at all!

Can I have your boat?

:D

Its a bit like running home behind the bus to save £1-50 if you run home behind a Taxi you save a tenner.

Blimey buses are cheap where you live!

MtB

blackrose, on 17 Jan 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

But in all seriousness, I don't understand how it's possible to base a saving on the most expensive licence available and a mooring for a boat that one no longer has?

Also I wonder, using this methodology, if one must necessariy have previously owned the item in question? If not, I've just saved about a million quid by not owning a Bugatti Veyron!

Isn't the point of the OP just that he is enjoying no longer having to shell out such a lot of money to partake in a hobby, and that he has found an alternative one that he is enjoying but isn't costing anywhere near as much?

I don't think the post is intended to be taken literally.......

Its a bit like running home behind the bus to save £1-50 if you run home behind a Taxi you save a tenner.

Not only are your buses cheap, they're slow. Outside central London you'd have to be quite an athlete to keep up with a bus or taxi over any distance. But to be fair, you didn't say how far behind the vehicle your hypothetical runner was.

Thats the diversity of the human race..some take stuff more literally than others which is why we get such a mix base of replies.

May save money getting motor home in this fashion but I had toss up initially between boat or motor home and all that traffic on the roads sitting in nose to tail getting nowhere meant motor home non starter for me.

Gets down to choices chugging on canals or patient perseverance with holiday traffic.

Still hope you are enjoying your choice Dave

smiley_offtopic.gif My sister used to tell me my hobby of ballroom dancing far to expensive for her and she ran as a hobby but spent £££'s on having all the right gear, expensive trainers..in fact spent probably twice what I did. Her perception was that dancing more expensive.

Dave

A good observation - I reckon out of the 50 boats moored at the marina last year at least 10 never turned a prop.

People complain that hire is expensive but unless you use a boat it is far cheaper to hire (so long as you can put up with anti-hirer syndrome!)

The economics of owning and keeping a boat on the canals are crazy. If you are retired you may get a few weeks / months use out of it. If you live on it on the towpath you will probably be in pocket compared to renting or buying a house but you will be hard pushed to be able to save much money towards the next move. If you are working and get normal holidays you may get 3 weeks or so plus weekends as and when. If you divide the miles you travel into the cost of owning the thing you will probably burst into tears. Increasingly it only works for the well off retired who are helped through the locks by unpaid volunteers. (exits crossly singing the red flag)

Dave

Of course, it depends how many nights you spend away from home on the boat or in the motorhome.

Cost of overnight mooring on the boat £0.

Cost of overnight parking in the motorhome, say £10 minimum? Probably more.

Still cheaper than boating but every night out reduces the savings.

George ex nb Alton retired

Of course, it depends how many nights you spend away from home on the boat or in the motorhome.

Cost of overnight mooring on the boat £0.

Still cheaper than boating but every night out reduces the savings.

George ex nb Alton retired

Better still, sell the house and CC in the motor home.

:)

Due to taking early retirement we have used the boat for in the region of 5 months per year but we felt, due to my wife's mobility problems, the time was right to sell.

We have, in alternate years, had a Gold Licence which has enabled us to "loiter" on the Thames for several weeks at a time. Last year though we had visitors licences for the Thames, taking a week at a time, it being cheaper to have a weeks licence than a three day one - we decided not to do the two day dash from Reading to Oxford (and back again when the time came) as we had in the past but to take it a bit gentler. That is why I quoted the cost of the licence as £1111 !

If we had hired for 13 or more weeks I guess it would have cost over ten thousand pounds so that was out of the question.

So the motorhome will allow us to visit places that the boat didn't but we will probably still be close to canals at times.

Dave

In the 4 years I had a motorhome I don't think I ever paid to park up for the night. Probably harder to find free places to "moor" in the UK, but if you have a motorhome you don't need to holiday in the UK...

I suppose the £3000 mooring fee he was paying could be equated to paying for overnight parking for the boat so that works out to about £8.20 per night even when he isn't using it. He doesn't have to pay for the motorhome every night because he can store it on his drive.