Diesel Prices

Marco_mark

Featured Posts

Not any more it aint. I filled up elsewhere last week at 75 a funny foreign measurement thing only to find the next day that Sawley is now 65p

Tim

Not any more it aint. I filled up elsewhere last week at 75 a funny foreign measurement thing only to find the next day that Sawley is now 65p

Sorry Tim , I only filled up there the previous weekend at 75p a litre so they must have dropped it within days

Rick

Tim

Tim

Sorry Tim , I only filled up there the previous weekend at 75p a litre so they must have dropped it within days

Rick

Tim

Hi Ric

Yeah they bloody well did. I thought Id pull a flanker by filling up before I got to Sawley and only paid 75 pence then got to Sawley next day as they put it at 65pence Lol.

Tim

Hi Ric

Yeah they bloody well did. I thought Id pull a flanker by filling up before I got to Sawley and only paid 75 pence then got to Sawley next day as they put it at 65pence Lol.

Tim

that would be about right as i put 120 litres in to keep the ebby going .... i bet the day i come to refuel will be the day after it goes up again!

Rick

Whilst I agree with your principle of supporting the fuel boats (I do myself if I find one!) I'm not quite sure that I follow your 'criticism' of Turners in Wheaton Aston. As I travel around I tend to use a variety of supermarkets for my provisions, none of whom really do anything for the canals, should I be avoiding them? On the other hand one could argue that Turners is doing something for the canals, he is supplying cheap fuel for the boaters. To do so he has also invested in a pontoon to moor on and a long hose to reach the canal (unless some generous passing boater supplied him with these), is he supposed to work as a volunteer lockie as well?

You are obviously quite entitled to spend your money where you wish but my take on it is that if someone is supplying cheap fuel they are probably doing so on the principle of high turnover of fuel. I'm willing to support them in that business model rather than let them go to the wall because I'll only buy more expensive fuel from elsewhere. Diesel is diesel everywhere (well, except the expensive stuff I bought on the Llangollen which was just a smoke generatorunsure.png ) so I'm willing to support those who charge least for it. The only reason that I didn't fill up at Turners was because I didn't know about it and had just filled up at Wheaton Aston! I will support the diesel and coal boats though.

Seconded. I'd also add that Turner's sells useful boat related stuff, a bit like a chandlery, but cheaper! I've also found that the guys at Turner's are friendly and helpful but the last time I took on fuel at Norbury I found them bordering on rude, because I unknowingly encroached on their trip boat mooring. That's just my personal experience.

• 5 months later...

I was holding off getting diesel until Wheaton Aston, but called in at Norbury on Wednesday for gas and noticed they were 59.9p ! So filled up. Thought Wheaton Aston couldn't be cheaper, but they were - by a penny.

Every other place I've seen has been 70p or more. I know there are economies of scale, but this is a large difference. How do they manage it?

And I didn't find the people at Norbury rude.

Filled up a couple of days ago at Kings Lock (Middlewich) at 61p per litre (whatever declaration you like - apparently some people even use their real names and addresses !!!)

Filled up a couple of days ago at Kings Lock (Middlewich) at 61p per litre (whatever declaration you like - apparently some people even use their real names and addresses !!!)

Why not use correct address?

Why not use correct address?

I did - I even used the correct boat index number and a 60/40 split

The 'man' said that he regularly gets 100% domestic declarations and that 'some people (sometimes) even use their proper name and address'.

The declaration is the responsibility of the purchaser of the fuel, not the seller. If the purchaser commits fraud by making a false declaration then it is of no matter to the seller - he has done 'his bit' and got a signed declaration.

I was holding off getting diesel until Wheaton Aston, but called in at Norbury on Wednesday for gas and noticed they were 59.9p ! So filled up. Thought Wheaton Aston couldn't be cheaper, but they were - by a penny.

Every other place I've seen has been 70p or more. I know there are economies of scale, but this is a large difference. How do they manage it?

And I didn't find the people at Norbury rude.

Sheer volume, We filled up there a couple of weeks ago 58.5p per litre, we had to wait for a berth to fill up and another boat was waiting when we left. They also have a pump on the roadside, and there was a constant stream of customers with cans for that one as well.

Edited by David Schweizer

I did - I even used the correct boat index number and a 60/40 split

The 'man' said that he regularly gets 100% domestic declarations and that 'some people (sometimes) even use their proper name and address'.

The declaration is the responsibility of the purchaser of the fuel, not the seller. If the purchaser commits fraud by making a false declaration then it is of no matter to the seller - he has done 'his bit' and got a signed declaration.

I use all correct details whatever I declare. The tax man has better things to do than chase after boaters. Any marina insisting on 60/40 won't get my business.As you say it,s the customers choice of declaration.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I walked past an Asda a couple of days ago and the price was the same there as well.

Having just bought a diesel car this is excellent news!

Having just bought a diesel car this is excellent news!

Having just sold our diesel Discovery and bought a petrol Jaguar - enjoy it whilst you can.

"Phasing out of diesel vehicles" - Diesel vehicles account for 40% of the capital's air pollution, the London Assembly environment committee said"

Thin end of the wedge !!!!

Having just sold our diesel Discovery and bought a petrol Jaguar - enjoy it whilst you can.

"Phasing out of diesel vehicles" - Diesel vehicles account for 40% of the capital's air pollution, the London Assembly environment committee said"

Thin end of the wedge !!!!

Yes I read all the anti diesel stuff prior to buying. It read much the same as when I owned diesel vehicles in the past.

Off topic but in a way on, I noticed our local ASDA has petrol AND diesel on at the same price today at £1.14 per litre.

A mistake surely?

Same at my local Asda, no mistake. A good marketing ploy I reckon.

two weeks ago the cheepest was 68p on the Oxford (a coal) merchants.

The most I saw was 121 on the thames. Saying that there was a sign at one place saying they enforce a 60/40 split and the cost per ltd was 130 with the split.

Bob

Off topic but in a way on, I noticed our local ASDA has petrol AND diesel on at the same price today at £1.14 per litre.

A mistake surely?

what was more interesting

it was 113.7 for Petrol and 114.7 for diesel. They got upset when I pulled out 3x 20 ltd jerry cans though. Only 5 ltd plastic or 10 ltd metal now!

Bob