Plans for 2015

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

So what are your plans for 2015?

I'm sure some of you will have some exciting cruises in the pipeline.

2015 for us and NC is a bit quieter then 2014. We still plan to visit new places but it won't be anything like as far from home as our summer cruise for 2014. This year the plan so far is:

• Easter - Kings Lynn
  • May BH - West Stockwith
  • Whitsun - Wells next the Sea
  • July - Great Ouse
  • August BH - Hull
  • October - York/Sprotborough (Although if the weather is anything like it was last year this could well just be a trip to Newark again!)

Not the most adventurous year of cruising for us this year but still the opportunity to explore new places.

Thames. Got a Gold licence. Apart from that not sure - have been on a river only for past three years, cannot wait to escape the city!

Didnt realise you could have a rivers only licence down that way Lady Muck.

I guess its a fairly restricted cruising ground?

Moving Isabel to Droitwich at Easter to start work for a newly established hire company.

And after that not a lot boating-wise as Grace is going out on a long termer.

We are however going to France near the Midi so may go exploring

Eagerly awaiting our new boat, which should hopefully be complete in May. Then the Lancaster canal for the first time in 40 years, as that's where the boat is being built, before bringing it back south on the Ribble link. After that no idea.

Sounds great to me.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

We're looking at The Cheshire Ring 'plus' - Yes, we've done the whole thing a couple of times before, and bits of it several times more,, but we've never done it clockwise, so that's the beginning of the plan.

Middlewich > Red Bull then get a bus to Hanley, but only if The Coachmakers Arms is still standing - does anyone know if it is ?

Macclesfield (Possible detour to Buxworth) > Ashton (Possible detour to Stalybridge and the few hundred yds or so of the Stockport Branch from Fairfield Jn)

Manchester > Patricroft (Possible detour toward Worsley/Astley Green/Wigan depending on remaining time) > Middlewich.

Eagerly awaiting our new boat, which should hopefully be complete in May. Then the Lancaster canal for the first time in 40 years, as that's where the boat is being built, before bringing it back south on the Ribble link. After that no idea.

Interesting! We have been looking at the 9ft beam Lancaster boats last year. Who is your builder ?

Over the Wash from Denver to Boston in May.

Then after a bit of time exploring Lincs, in August via the Trent and Chesterfield to Worksop. Back over the Wash again to Wisbech, and the Middle Level back to Ely. Hoping for no wind.

We can arrange some waves for you in May cheers.gif

We're looking at The Cheshire Ring 'plus' - Yes, we've done the whole thing a couple of times before, and bits of it several times more,, but we've never done it clockwise, so that's the beginning of the plan.

Middlewich > Red Bull then get a bus to Hanley, but only if The Coachmakers Arms is still standing - does anyone know if it is ?

Macclesfield (Possible detour to Buxworth) > Ashton (Possible detour to Stalybridge and the few hundred yds or so of the Stockport Branch from Fairfield Jn)

Manchester > Patricroft (Possible detour toward Worsley/Astley Green/Wigan depending on remaining time) > Middlewich.

I don't think you'll get more than the nose of your boat in the Stockport Branch, but you can walk it quite a way - certainly worth following as far as Gorton Aqueduct. Not sure I'd leave a boat moored near the junction so perhaps Walk from Piccadilly and get the train back from Gorton (the aqueduct is next to the station)

We plan to make the most of our new engine this year.

At the moment our plans after leaving Milton Keynes include Rugby, Warwick, Worcester, Gloucester, Stourport, Llangollen, Chester, Birmingham (BCN challenge), Great Haywood, Stoke on Trent, Macclesfield, Whaley Bridge, Standedge Tunnel, Huddersfield, Manchester, Liverpool, the Weaver, Heartbreak Hill, Nottingham, Newark, Boston, Worksop, the Ashby, Northampton, Peterborough, Oxford, Market Harborough, and back to Milton Keynes. In fact it would almost have been quicker to list the places that we aren't going to - especially if not mentioning places we can't get to (being 67ft long).

Plans for 2015? To the waterpoint & back again. Many times. So I can concentrate on internal fitout.

P.S. I can do this without needing to start the engine, its that close.

P.P.S. Might be an extra 2 miles if the pumpout tank gets full in 2015.

In 2016 I shall make up for it and travel the world, even through Standedge!

The main aim on my cruiser is a week or so heading south along the SU and the Staffs and Worcester to Stourton. Then up the Stourbridge, Dudley, Netherton and BCN Mainline canals to join the Worcester and Birmingham and head back to the Staffs and Worcester/Shropshire Union via Tardebigge, Worcester and the River Severn. Any small detours will depend on time and circumstances of the trip.

We're also hoping to hire for a week to go on the Caldon again as we loved it so much in 2013.

Also planning on a week on my cruiser at Easter, not really sure what to do with this yet. Haven't been up to Llangollen on it (got as far as Welshampton two years ago) but I'm not madly enthused to go up there right now. Similarly not madly fussed about Chester and beyond as I went there last year. An idea could be to head south to Wolverhampton then up to Great Haywood and then either go up to Stone/Trentham or head towards Fradley - never been further than Rugeley. The idea of new waters is appealing but it'll mean two trips on the Shroppie in a short space of time and I'm just not overly impressed with the Northern S&W, except the last few miles around Tixall. Thirdly I could go to Middlewich then up to Marple and Bugsworth via the Macclesfield, then back the same way. I loved the Peak Forest and the Macc last year so perhaps leaning towards this of all the options. There's yet another option of a combined trip on the Weaver and the Bridgewater, subject to Dutton being repaired. Too much choice!

Hoping to do these trips between April and July, not really thinking about later in the year just yet but I'd imagine we'll do something.

Edited by Philip

Start boating again! Iona has been more or less static for far too long and we're itching to resume our exploration of the system.

Liverpool is a must do, what follows that is still under discussion. Dave wants to do standedge tunnel so I'm guessing the HNC will be next. Whether we continue to explore the north - particularly the north east which we've neglected so far - is a distinct possibility. But then we do want to explore the southern GU and Oxford which have also been neglected.

Too much to do with too little time!