Plans for 2015

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Im going to work again for this year I think unless I get truley peeved by anything. I suppose even though it aint proper cruising on my own boat its the next best thing as I do get paid to drive boats. Next year though is looking decidedly like sodd offski again for cruising time, lifes far too short to stay in one place for long.

Ive convinced the Old girl to pack her job in so she finishes end of march then we having holiday then .........................biggrin.png who knows, life is also too short for planning

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

After having a disaster with our beloved old 42' Dartline last September (galvanic corrosion with ensuing ebay 'project' sale) we find ourselves boatless.

We are having a new build made at JD Narrowboats at Shardlow but that won't be ready until late August / early September. So this spring/summer we are potless as well as boatless and our only boating looks to be carried out vicariously with John Sargent on Friday evenings.

Thank God for gin!

Nick

Edited by nickd

We're looking at The Cheshire Ring 'plus' - Yes, we've done the whole thing a couple of times before, and bits of it several times more,, but we've never done it clockwise, so that's the beginning of the plan.

Middlewich > Red Bull then get a bus to Hanley, but only if The Coachmakers Arms is still standing - does anyone know if it is ?

Macclesfield (Possible detour to Buxworth) > Ashton (Possible detour to Stalybridge and the few hundred yds or so of the Stockport Branch from Fairfield Jn)

Manchester > Patricroft (Possible detour toward Worsley/Astley Green/Wigan depending on remaining time) > Middlewich.

That's anti-clockwise Pete!

Also I don't know the Coachmakers Arms, but given you will be moored right by the Blue Bell a bus ride seems a lot of unnecessary effort.

That's anti-clockwise Pete!

Also I don't know the Coachmakers Arms, but given you will be moored right by the Blue Bell a bus ride seems a lot of unnecessary effort.

Ooops yes, so it is - but only if you're looking down from above ! It would be clockwise it you were looking up from below.. wacko.png

We found The Coachmakers by accident a few years ago whilst doing The Caldon. Moor by Br. 8 and walk into town - it's near the 'dreaded' bus station. Cracking pub but is under threat of demilotion by said bus station as they want to widen the access road, and The Coachmakers is on the line of the new road.

The plan at present is an early start to arrive at arrive at Red Bull early afternoon, bus to Hanley for a few pints, then back to The Red Bull and The Blue Bell in the evening. A short day's cruising for us...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

Thee big plans this year.

1) To welcome our new sprog to the world (imminently!)

2) Get new engine from its shed to the engine ole

3) use new engine to take our boat and new sprog on holiday somewhere when the sun comes out.

I don't think you'll get more than the nose of your boat in the Stockport Branch, but you can walk it quite a way - certainly worth following as far as Gorton Aqueduct. Not sure I'd leave a boat moored near the junction so perhaps Walk from Piccadilly and get the train back from Gorton (the aqueduct is next to the station)

Just realised that I didn't mean The Stockport Branch, I meant the new marina branch from Fairfield Junction. It is only a hundred yards or so (at least that's what it looks like on Google) but it is new track !

Start boating again! Iona has been more or less static for far too long and we're itching to resume our exploration of the system.

Liverpool is a must do, what follows that is still under discussion. Dave wants to do standedge tunnel so I'm guessing the HNC will be next. Whether we continue to explore the north - particularly the north east which we've neglected so far - is a distinct possibility. But then we do want to explore the southern GU and Oxford which have also been neglected.

Too much to do with too little time!

Where will all the stuff on your roof go if you go through Standege? You could put it in the Rochdale along with everybody elses rubbish!!

Our autumn migration between hemispheres is drawing close with our arrival back in England 1May. Planning on travelling up to the far North East this year river flows permitting. Detailed planning deferred until after our arrival as we left our very dated Nicholson's onboard. Currently we are in Auckland having a holiday from a holiday to go classic yacht racing.I got a crew spot back on the 120 year old restored 58ft gaff rigged cutter Waitangi for the races. The first night we were berthed where the Volvo round the world fleet were to berth the next night necessitating a shift to berths immediately adjacent.

DSCN3559_zpsl9pz8du9.jpg

DSCN3562_zpsgwue4ihl.jpg

DSCN3658_zpslefgeos6.jpg

DSCN3598_zpsmf3raivk.jpg

DSCN3621_zpsm7jeir63.jpg

DSCN3709_zpssbtfo7rq.jpg

DSCN3693_zpsvjoziovi.jpg

IMG_5032_zpsqetdwvy6.jpg

DSCN3649_zpstqdynkbt.jpg

DSCN3631_zpssqsu3vs0.jpg

Looking forward to the first spring of the year.

Don and Val NB Whio

Edited by DandV

• 2 weeks later...

So what are your plans for 2015?

I'm sure some of you will have some exciting cruises in the pipeline.

2015 for us and NC is a bit quieter then 2014. We still plan to visit new places but it won't be anything like as far from home as our summer cruise for 2014. This year the plan so far is:

• Easter - Kings Lynn
  • May BH - West Stockwith
  • Whitsun - Wells next the Sea
  • July - Great Ouse
  • August BH - Hull
  • October - York/Sprotborough (Although if the weather is anything like it was last year this could well just be a trip to Newark again!)

Not the most adventurous year of cruising for us this year but still the opportunity to explore new places.

Looks like you will not be going to Wells next the Sea or Kings Lynn on a high tide if the Boston Barrier is built without a lock? As is now proposed.

Looks like you will not be going to Wells next the Sea or Kings Lynn on a high tide if the Boston Barrier is built without a lock? As is now proposed.

Yeah, not sure will happen there. Could make heading across in one tide as we do now, not possible.

• 1 month later...

Start boating again! Iona has been more or less static for far too long and we're itching to resume our exploration of the system.

Liverpool is a must do, what follows that is still under discussion. Dave wants to do standedge tunnel so I'm guessing the HNC will be next. Whether we continue to explore the north - particularly the north east which we've neglected so far - is a distinct possibility. But then we do want to explore the southern GU and Oxford which have also been neglected.

Too much to do with too little time!

Decision finally made today! Liverpool first then the Huddersfield then off to Ripon - we've been as far as we can on the north west we're going to match it this year in the north east.

Can't wait to get going - contracted to work for a few months yet so time for lots of planning.

Excited!

Having moved our boat to Rufford, it would be pretty stupid to decide to do the K & A - so that's where we are going!

Via the tidal Severn to Bristol, across to Reading then back thro' Brum and up the Shroppie. We're going to pass on the Mersey to save a few pennies although it does mean going back around the Bridgewater to get home.

Why oh why did we move the boat from Litchfield!!!

• 1 month later...

So what are your plans for 2015?

I'm sure some of you will have some exciting cruises in the pipeline.

2015 for us and NC is a bit quieter then 2014. We still plan to visit new places but it won't be anything like as far from home as our summer cruise for 2014. This year the plan so far is:

• Easter - Kings Lynn
  • May BH - West Stockwith
  • Whitsun - Wells next the Sea
  • July - Great Ouse
  • August BH - Hull
  • October - York/Sprotborough (Although if the weather is anything like it was last year this could well just be a trip to Newark again!)

Not the most adventurous year of cruising for us this year but still the opportunity to explore new places.

Looks like our plans have changed again rolleyes.gif

We are now heading up to Farndon Marina for the August bank holiday and the two weekends following for their annual regatta. They have kindly offered us two weeks free moorings so a few of us have taken them up on the offer.cheers.gif