Yarwood maker's plate

fittie

Featured Posts

I am going to get some Yarwood's makers plates cast and I was just thinking does anyone else want one?

If you are interested please let me know.

I still can't seem to post an image so there isn't one.

Sorry

Where would these actually have been located ?? on the front engine bulkhead. Don't think I've seen any old photos of them on actual boats.

Darren

Eta: If anyone's got a woolwich one going spare I'd buy it.

Edited by ChimneyChain

Small woolwich had them on the front engine bulkhead. I think, if the big boats had them, that they would have been in the same place.

But I have only evey seen one on Venus nearly 30 years ago when we were looking for a boat to buy.

Edited by fittie

The quality should be the same as the original or as close as we can get. It is hoped that they will be cast in bronze from my original which is nice and crisp.

They will be a couple of mm smaller.

edit for being thick and having poor eye sight

Edited by fittie

I think that each boat had two - one larger one on the bulkhead 'bout 7x4" in bronze and a smaller one in brass (?) (could be bronze but I can't tell at the mo- will let you know ASAP) on the pigeon box.

I will try to get both done.

Edited by fittie

I think that each boat had two - one larger one on the bulkhead 'bout 7x4" in bronze and a smaller one in brass (?) (could be bronze but I can't tell at the mo- will let you know ASAP) on the pigeon box.

I will try to get both done.

In that case, you better put me down for twosmile.png.

No, not yet. I have had one quote but that was too much and in gunmetal. A founder has been recommended to me and I am hoping that the price will be more to my liking. The thing is I am going to see him with a few other jobs at the same time but when I know I will let you all know. The first quote was £60 painted and polished and that was for just the 7x4" one.

not much help really - I just wanted some idea of numbers before I go and see the founder.

Well with two Yarwoods boats, but no plates, we could well be interested in one or two sets, but it would depend a bit on cost, to be honest.

To go two full sets, they would need to be significantly less than the number you have just mentioned for a single plate.

However, we are definitely interested, but would like at least a rough price before we commit.

Alan

(If you feel like getting quotes for some bronze brackets for replica GUCCCo gear controls as well.............. captain.gif )

I have only ever seen two Harland & Wolff Ltd. builders plates on narrow boats, these being on the small Woolwich motor boats HYPERION and VENUS.

I have always been very sceptical as to whether these were originally fitted to these boats, especially bearing in mind the history of these two motors. I have seen thousands of photographs of G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats and I am not aware of any Woolwich built boat carrying a builders plate.

I have seen small rectangular builders plates as fitted on Yarwood built G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor boats, and I understand these were attached to the engine room pigeon box - but I have never noticed one on a photograph. The relevant 'Yard Number' under which the boat was constructed is stamped into a blank section on the casting, and the last one I saw allegedly came off a middle Northwich motor (but I did not record the 'Yard Number'). A number of these were reproduced in the 1970's and subsequently fitted to several boats. I recall the late Clive Guthrie (researcher of all Yarwood builds) telling me that there were varying sizes and designs of Yarwood builders plates depending on when they were made and the size of vessel they were to be attached to.

If these Yarwood type builders plates are reproduced I am prepared to supply the relevant 'Yard Number' to those owners who do not already have it. I am not prepared to supply Harland & Wolff Ltd. 'Yard Numbers' as I am sceptical that this company fitted plates to the narrow boats that they built.

Dreadfully poor image I'm afraid:

VENUSGen073Custom_zpsb1262b70.jpg

This is the small Woolwich motor VENUS.

"Vesta" carries some kind of builders plate, though I have no reason to suppose it is an original item, or even a copy of an original item.

I'll not try and blow it up, but this gives a general idea of size and current location

CIMG7919.JPG

"Vesta" carries some kind of builders plate, though I have no reason to suppose it is an original item, or even a copy of an original item.

The Harland &Wolff Ltd. builders plate was not fitted on VESTA when I photographed this boat on 11 October 1992 at Stretton Aquaduct (Nr. Brewood) or on 03 March 2007 at Braunston.

I have only ever seen two Harland & Wolff Ltd. builders plates on narrow boats, these being on the small Woolwich motor boats HYPERION and VENUS.

I have always been very sceptical as to whether these were originally fitted to these boats, especially bearing in mind the history of these two motors. I have seen thousands of photographs of G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats and I am not aware of any Woolwich built boat carrying a builders plate.

I have seen small rectangular builders plates as fitted on Yarwood built G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor boats, and I understand these were attached to the engine room pigeon box - but I have never noticed one on a photograph. The relevant 'Yard Number' under which the boat was constructed is stamped into a blank section on the casting, and the last one I saw allegedly came off a middle Northwich motor (but I did not record the 'Yard Number'). A number of these were reproduced in the 1970's and subsequently fitted to several boats. I recall the late Clive Guthrie (researcher of all Yarwood builds) telling me that there were varying sizes and designs of Yarwood builders plates depending on when they were made and the size of vessel they were to be attached to.

If these Yarwood type builders plates are reproduced I am prepared to supply the relevant 'Yard Number' to those owners who do not already have it. I am not prepared to supply Harland & Wolff Ltd. 'Yard Numbers' as I am sceptical that this company fitted plates to the narrow boats that they built.

This is the small Woolwich motor VENUS.

A plate of the type shown came with the Small Woolwich 'THEMIS' when I bought it, it wasn't attached, presume taken off when the boat was converted, either the original trip boat conversion (WATER KELPIE) or the later full conversion. It was actually languishing more or less in the bilges when I found it!

It wasn't on the boat when I sold it, I found it in the house some years later and gave it to the owner of another Small Woolwich motor.

(Some of?) the Yarwoods Admiral class boats had those rectangular brass plates, I think they were screwed to the outside of the back bulkhead of the cabin.

Personally, I want a Pollocks of Faversham builders plate, 1930's style ;)

I'll probably end up getting it CNC cut from brass plate, unless someone can offer me one!

Tim

(Some of?) the Yarwoods Admiral class boats had those rectangular brass plates, I think they were screwed to the outside of the back bulkhead of the cabin.

Tim

Period photographs suggest the Yarwood builders plates on the two pairs of 'Admirals' were about 5'' by 3'', and as you say were fitted to the rear cabin bulkhead. I am sure the Yarwood builders plates fitted to G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats were a little smaller. The Pimblott built 'Admirals' had a builders plate in a similar location, but these were a little larger and oval in shape - and again featured the relevant 'Yard Number' under which the boat was built.

I am mystified by the oval Harland & Wolff Ltd. plates (as you found in THEMIS) as I have never seen one in a period photograph, and they are very rarely seen now captain.gif

Roger Fuller had about two dozen replica Harland and Wolff plates cast about 4-5 years ago and I suspect Vesta's is one of those. He may have one or two left if you ask him. They were cast off Hyperion's plate I think. I have no idea if this is an original - I haven't noticed them in photographs but they were possibly fitted to the front bulkhead of the hold so would not be particularly obvious.

I have one (not at presentfitted to my boat) and there is no space for yard number.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Speak to Laurence Hogg, he has vast experience in having things cast, he may still have contacts from his Boatmans Cabin days.

The original Yarwoods plates fitted to GU motors were fitted to the end of the pigeon box and were quite small as such, they were made in Bronze as was all of the fittings Yarwoods used. We had one as a pattern but when casting finished in Wolverhampton in 1996 its one of the patterns that was missing. The originals also had a stippled background and were probably made in Liverpool, there was a firm there that was still producing that type of casting into the 1980's and they made some of the IWA rally plaques.

The larger plaques are on ships and larger vessels and are quite large, a good example was on the open bridge of dredger Seiont II once moored at Port Dinorwic.

There should be little difference in the basic cost of bronze v brass, all the effort goes into the pattern making and the moulding process, the metal used being only a small proportion of the overall costs. Small runs are a pain for a foundry so expect the price to be weighted to reflect that.

The Harland and Wolff plates as fitted to "Hyperion" may be original but in that boats case not in the right place. I have a picture of Hyperion going down the slips brand new and it doesn't have a builders plate visible.