Do you ever throw anything in the cut ?

magnetman

Featured Posts

I was denailing a bit of kindling and idly chucked the nails in the cut.

Then I thought 'what if everyone did that, its a lot of nails :rolleyes:

so what do we (admit) throw(ing) in the cut - out of anger, convenience, just without thinking, or for other reasons ?

• Greenie 1

Hot ash. Coffee grounds. Food particles from washing up

Ok in rivers but please not into the canal!

I started a thread here years ago about ash into the cut and general opinion is that BW (as it was then) would eventually have to dredge it back out again.

MtB

Hot ash. Coffee grounds. Food particles from washing up

Do you always empty your hot ash into the canal? If all the boats with fires do that, it is no wonder the canals need dredging :-)

haggis

Snap, MtB. I remember that thread and how amazed I was at the number of boaters who thought it was Ok to throw ash in the canal.

Edited by haggis

Teabags

A few years back I was standing on the back fascinated by three little terrapins nibbling at the growth on the waterline. I went to get my camera-and my glasses-and they turned out to be three triangular tea bags. Were they yours?

I was denailing a bit of kindling and idly chucked the nails in the cut.

Then I thought 'what if everyone did that, its a lot of nails rolleyes.gif

so what do we (admit) throw(ing) in the cut - out of anger, convenience, just without thinking, or for other reasons ?

Mainly cameras and IPhones :-(

Tim

I would like to see your calculations ;-)

I don't think we need a mathematician to tell us that putting something into the canal which doesn't biodegrade will take up space previously used by water.

I remember one boater who always emptied their ash pan out of the side hatch on their boat complaining that he couldn't move the boat because of the build up of silt :-)

haggis

Do you always empty your hot ash into the canal? If all the boats with fires do that, it is no wonder the canals need dredging :-)

haggis

Snap, MtB. I remember that thread and how amazed I was at the number of boaters who thought it was Ok to throw ash in the canal.

Well on the K&A (and I suspect other canals) there is (was?) a regular practice of "Ashing up" the lock gate quoins on the Caen Hill flight every evening after they were locked to prevent overnight leakage. Considering the number of locks involved that is a lot of ash going into the canal.

Edited by David Schweizer

P.S. Yes I chuck in anything biodegradable.

Don't you have a pump out or a cassette then?

More seriously though ,,,,,, the cold bit at the bottom of my cup of coffee!

On occasion I have also thrown in a windlass and an anti-vandal key!

Edited by NickF

I don't think we need a mathematician to tell us that putting something into the canal which doesn't biodegrade will take up space previously used by water.

P.S. Yes I chuck in anything biodegradable.

Where does the mass from the biodegradable objects go?

Only shopping trollies - I thought it was a tradition. I'll happily stop if it's not, cos it's costing a quid a chuck!

(Disclaimer: The above is a joke: I am not partaking in,and neither do I advocate, the introduction of shopping trollies into the canal. Also, no shopping trollies were injured in the making of this post).

• Greenie 3

Only shopping trollies - I thought it was a tradition. I'll happily stop if it's not, cos it's costing a quid a chuck!

(Disclaimer: The above is a joke: I am not partaking in,and neither do I advocate, the introduction of shopping trollies into the canal. Also, no shopping trollies were injured in the making of this post).

???

haggis

I've thought about it. I came to a different conclusion than you. Cold ash does not go into the canal - there's no need. But if a boat is tied to a wooden pontoon my judgement says that the place for hot ash is into cold water.

I used to do this because it was so satisfactory but now I simply return the trolley to the parking area, extract my £ coin then I walk to the side of the cut and throw it, really hard.

YES !! it bounces across the water sometimes, oh so satisfactory :rolleyes: