Do you ever throw anything in the cut ?

magnetman

Featured Posts

My gran used to have a pig bin that food waste went into, collected by the pig swill man . Not allowed now due to risks of disease transmission from inadequately boiled swill plus issues of feeding bacon and pork scraps to pigs.

we used to toss all that into the pig sty and run like hell cos they were aggressive porkies!...mind u we'd kick the door on our way past just to hear them squeal and attack the door

When we had a stove at the house we used to empty the ash into a corner of the garden and it was surprising how big a mound this became. On the boat the hot ashes go into a metal bucket on the stern then out with the rubbish when cool.

I've thought about it. I came to a different conclusion than you. Cold ash does not go into the canal - there's no need. But if a boat is tied to a wooden pontoon my judgement says that the place for hot ash is into cold water.

Twice this week I have come across a pile of ash right by a mooring bollard, one at a lock and one at a water point, just right for your rope to drag in.

angry.png Hot ash in the hedge bottoms so that it starts fires.

Well I have seen a few instances of this .

I have thrown various bits of food waste into the water when I was moored in an area of clear water .Very interesting watching fish dart from under the boat and eat the food .Two pieces of bacon where eating by swan ?

Given what's down there, there really ought to be a scruffy old-looking map with "Bettie's Treasure" in gothic font and an X to mark the spot.

Knowing my luck, I'd be sitting in the Admiral Nelson talking to Billy Bones trying to find the map, when some blind bloke walks in with a postcard for me. :-(

George ex nb Alton retired

Dregs of Tea/Coffee I suppose you shouldn't do that as milk removes the oxygen from the water to the point where if a milk tanker has an accident near a water course it has to be contained. In the real world though id imagine the diluted 10ml of milk is really going to make any difference even if everyone did it every day.

A woman up at Cassiobury Park was seen shovelling her doggies doo doo into the canal and was taken to court. I believe she was fined £1000, The only thing you can legally put into the canal is water, apparently.

Ash is waste/rubbish/litter which ever way you look at it. To float we need the correct depth of water. Why would we do anything to reduce that depth. Get a galvanised bucket and fill that. When it cools down put the ash in an empty coal bag and dispose of it at the disposal points.

If you are going to use ash on the tow path it needs to have been 'seasoned' for a year or it just becomes a sticky gooey mess. Easier to put it in the bin!

• Greenie 2

As a rule of thumb would you (in a house) open the kitchen window and throw waste out.

NO? That's why we have bins.

Then why do it on a boat.

If it burns put it on the fire EXCEPT PLASTIC Coal ash is not inert as some think.

A woman up at Cassiobury Park was seen shovelling her doggies doo doo into the canal and was taken to court. I believe she was fined £1000,

By whom? I would guess that this would not be a criminal offence and that it would be up to CART to bring the case to court/

What did the prosecution present as evidence, and did they use air freshener in the court afterwards?

I have never knowingly thrown anything in the cut - as Maffi says why would we want to reduce the depth?

Accidentally, my youngest son, then about 7, dropped his wallet with about £20 in it, at the narrows at Hawkesbury junction, whilst getting on the boat (I was waiting in the narrows for him to get on). From the resulting screams I thought he'd hurt himself.

I went in but couldn't find it.

At every pub we stopped at for the rest of the holiday, he told anyone who would listen. Most gave him a pound, and by the end of the holiday he was in profit!

Other things lost include a Cooley hat for the chimney, taken by high wind's near All Oaks Wood, and a lump hammer at Macclesfield.

Edited to change want to went.

Edited by cuthound

As a rule of thumb would you (in a house) open the kitchen window and throw waste out.

NO? That's why we have bins.

Then why do it on a boat.

If it burns put it on the fire EXCEPT PLASTIC Coal ash is not inert as some think.

Quite right and better still at home put scraps in a compost bin or wormery. We have a disposal system in our county (Conwy) that means you need to separate food waste but as much as possible goes into the compost the bin they supply hardly ever gets anything in it to take away.

My Grey water

1, Sunglasses - my fault

2, food waste

3, ash

4, 3 mobile phones - my fault

5, 2 windlasses - not my fault

6, 1 lost wallet - not my fault

7, 1 cat several times - not my fault

8, landing net - maybe my fault (must of blew off roof in high winds)

9, me x 10

10, Maggots, groundbait etc as I like to fish

I'm on a river - However would NEVER toss broken glass/blades etc into it!

Thinking about this properly, I've just remembered I put my hot ash (and cold ash) into an ash caddy thing, wherever I'm moored.

Besides, putting it straight into the water chucks up a huge cloud of ash dust that draws attention to wot you just done, dunnit!

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manor-Quality-Manor-Galvanised-Ash-Carrier-Box-0569/141510769921?_trksid=p2141725.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D715587c5a26a41c6b782b51645cf191b%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D221559923874

MtB

I've also never used one of these things. I've thought about getting one because carrying a pan full of hot ashes out of the boat is a bit dodgy if you trip and spill it. On the other hand I imagine that spilling hot ashes inside the boat might be more likely while trying to get the pan into the box?

I think my ash pan measures about 300mm square, so I'd rather have a box with a maximum depth dimension rather than width. They all seem to be designed wider than they are deep.

Edited by blackrose

My post was certainly not a joke post. I think that the detractors are missing a few salient points. Compared to the surface area of the canal bottom such objects are minute. They will almost certainly sink into the mud and not be uncovered for many years and only by a dredger by which time they will certainly not be sharp.

As to the possibility of them ending up round a prop, well having had many years of prop cleaning, the chance of a fishing line with a hook is a more realistic probability. The chance of a single blade being picked up and embedded round a prop, with or without anything else, is frankly laughable.

To those who think the dangers are so immense, I suggest a little realistic analysis would be a great thing. Disposal on land of such objects is potentially far more dangerous to people.

That really depends on what you mean by "disposal on land". If you're just talking about throwing sharp objects in the bushes then yes I agree, but if you mean the objects are dangerous in a landfill site than I disagree.

There are recognised methods of disposing of broken glass and other sharp objects, and none of them include throwing the objects into the canal - which is pollution whether you like it or not.

http://www.sctcc.edu/sites/default/files/safety/Safety%20Alert%20-%20Sharp%20Materials.pdf

Edited by blackrose

Things I've thrown (or put) in the cut.

57' narrow boat (still there)

Me (still here)

Radio controlled boats , aircraft and a quadcopter (all taken out again)

Pair of glasses (recovered and on my nose)

Large tree (towed home dragged out and cut up as firewood)

Contents of drip tray under stern gland (who knows where)

Bread for ducks and moorhens ( while actively feeding)

That's about it , no doubt someone will tell me I shouldn't have done at least one of those.

Things I've fetched out that I didnt put in

Shopping trolleys

Bike

Windlasses

Mattress (had to use the prop for this one)

Broom

Ladder

T C

I must say, I also do not agree with purposely throwing sharp objects into either rivers or the canals as a way of safe disposal. As Sue has already said, I normally wrap broken glass in newsprint before putting it into the bin, would do the same with any other sharp objects.

ETA - the missing "g" thanx loafer smile.png

Edited by Bettie Boo

I must say, I also do not agree with purposely throwing sharp objects into either rivers or the canals as a way of safe disposal. As Sue has already said, I normally wrap broken lass in newsprint before putting it into the bin, would do the same with any other sharp objects.

you shouldn't treat disadvantaged, very witty ladies in such an inconsiderate manner!

Edited by Loafer

Things I've thrown (or put) in the cut.

Bread for ducks and moorhens ( while actively feeding)

That's about it , no doubt someone will tell me I shouldn't have done at least one of those.

T C

Well, they do say that bread is bad for ducks etc.

;)

Tim