A Diesel Tank Problem.

Featured Posts

Last time I was on the boat, my boy was pouring a jerry can of diesel into the fuel tank when the spout tube fell of of the end of the spout and into the diesel tank. It's a 3" approx length of convoluted rubber tube, maybe three-quarters of an inch in diameter.

At the time there wasn't a great deal I could do, and I guessed it wouldn't cause a problem, which it didn't, but I would like to get it out if possible. So firstly, it it likely to float or sink? If I leave it there, is it likely to degrade over time and cause problems in the future? And if anyone has been in a similar position, what's the best approach to take to try to get it out?

Ta.

Make up a rod with a screw on the end, if you can get to it, stab it, and pull it up to the filler, then put a string round it, and maneuver it until you can pull it out ?

And try not to drop more bits in while your buggering about. There was a boat in Gt Yarmouth where for some reason they tried to dip the gearbox oil with a length of tube. They cut a big hole in the deck for that one, it was an offshore supply boat

Leave it there and consider fitting an anti syphon device which would also prevent it happening again smile.png

That sounds like you'd need to pay someone. How would you go about that? Better a rolled-up ball of copper wire squashed down there, innit? Just inside the filler hole?

Edited by Loafer

I think Southern Star did a topic about an antisyphon fitting (for a vertical steel filler tube) fairly recently and was considering fitting it. Thats why I suggested it as an option for him :) . May have been someone else not 100% sure.

I think Southern Star did a topic about an antisyphon fitting (for a vertical steel filler tube) fairly recently and was considering fitting it. Thats why I suggested it as an option for him smile.png . May have been someone else not 100% sure.

Not heard of it before. What's your view on the balled-up copper wire, MM? That seems like a cheap solution, since its easily extracted from some grey oven supply cable. Can't affect the fuel, won't rust and produce bits in the pipe, will it? Copper fuel pipe says that.

Not heard of it before. What's your view on the balled-up copper wire, MM? That seems like a cheap solution, since its easily extracted from some grey oven supply cable. Can't affect the fuel, won't rust and produce bits in the pipe, will it? Copper fuel pipe says that.

What is going to stop them poking it out

What is going to stop them poking it out

Don't know what you mean, DC. My ball of wire would stop items falling into the fuel tank. It could get poked further down I guess, but not if its on a bit of chain like the filler cap usually is.

Have I misunderstood summat? (I am a bit thick at this time of night!)

I'd get it out, you don't know what the plastic will do after years immersed in Diesel, if it breaks up you will break down, and have to clean out the whole tank, and that will be a pain in the stern.

A plastic fuel-proof bit of hose shouldn't degrade in a diesel tank in our lifetime. If it does, it'll be gradual and easily managed by eng fuel filters. Even if not caught by the filters, it'll be such a small percentage of the fuel that it won't matter. I'd leave it in!

• 3 weeks later...