Tests for new batteries.

towpathrider

Featured Posts

I have been offered 6 new trojan t105's for 450 quid, but I'm wondering what tests I could do to find out if they're in good condition. Seller sells them through eBay occasionally and has a good rating, and is offering a good price for a cash sale. . .

According to the seller they are new, (one month old) never used, and have 2014 dates stamped near the terminals. He says they have never been charged and have been stored in a heated room. He said I'm welcome to drop test them, check voltage etc.

As far as I'm aware drop testing isn't that useful for non automotive batteries?

Just wanted to see if there are any other checks I could make. Yes I'd much rather buy new with warranty but this seems like a good deal. . .

Yes drop testing proves nothing and is probably not very good for a non-starter battery. I would get him to charge them fully and then check the cells' specific gravity against the spec (1.277 adjusted for temperature IIRC). Presuming they are actually Trojans and not some Trojan clone, it sounds like a good deal. Do you know why he is selling them?

Edited by nicknorman

Trojan do put a date code on their batteries, I think its slightly more cryptic than just "2014", but should give the month as well as the year. A bit of googling will find the details.

And also do exactly as Nick suggests, if the SG is good then its almost certain the batteries are good.

.............Dave

buying expensive batteries without a warranty is dodgy. I bought Rolls S530s (2 of) with a warranty and they failed in 18 months. I had a new set shipped to me under warranty.

I think the original ones were a bad batch or had been damaged (dropped pallet?)

That would be a good reason to sell new batteries at a discount with no warranty.

I am not a battery expert...could be completely wrong.. :)

The best way to establish the condition of a battery is to:

Fully charge it

Subject it to a continuous current load test at the 20 hour rate (adjust current every 15 mins to compensate for dropping voltage), down to 10.5 volts for a 12 volt battery.

Calculate capacity and compare with design capacity.

Immediately recharge until SoC is 100%.

However it will take a small amount of life out of a healthy battery, so should only be done when necessary.

If the seller is a business (and the fact? that he regularly sells batteries via ebay may indicate that he is, even if he is not registered as such), then he must replace or refund you for defective goods *whether or not he officially offers a warranty*.

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

Also note the illegality of displaying "any notice that deliberately misleads consumers or deceives them about their rights, eg a sign that says you don’t accept returns or offer refunds."

Thats true and worth pointing out but expensive batteries usually come with a manufacturer warranty. When I needed to claim for the Rolls batteries I was communicating with a bloke in Canada. I suppose if the Trojans have a date code they may be subject to manufacturer warranty anyway ?

If there are doubts as to whether they are genuine or fakes, weighing is a good guide since a fake is likely to have less lead and thus be lighter, however I have not heard of fake Trojans disguised to look like the real thing, but there are certainly alternative manufacturers of what purports to be the same thing.

All UK Trojans batts are imported by a local (to me) company in Trafford Park Manchester

Platinum Batteries (Europe) Ltd
Platinum House, Bailey Road, Trafford Park
Manchester, M17 1SA
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44-0845-063-9999
Email: info@platinumbatteries.co.uk
Web Site: www.platinumbatteries.co.uk

Why not ask them ?

Ray

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the details I'll try and find out if Trojan will honor a warranty for these and I'll get the seller to send me a photo of the terminal stamps. If not, then I think i'll buy new from a reputable dealer and save the worry. Tayna are doing 6 t105's for £600 delivered, which seems like a good deal.

Do you have a smartphone ? (No NOT off topic) if you have, download the "Batterymegastore" app, then tell them you have done so, & they will issue a 10% discount code, which makes them (any make of battery on their site) a very good price ! I got 4 T105's for £355.68.

Edited by Alf27

Do you have a smartphone ? (No NOT off topic) if you have, download the "Batterymegastore" app, then tell them you have done so, & they will issue a 10% discount code, which makes them (any make of battery on their site) a very good price ! I got 4 T105's for £355.68.

Thanks for that information!

As it happens I need a new battery for my car, and the Batterymegastore is just round the corner from my work.

I was under the impression that the worst place to store batteries was in a heated room as it shortens the life dramatically.

In fact Ive known of display batteries in a marina I frequent being totally useless after being sat in the heated shop for 2 years unused.

Thats probably 2 years without maintenance.

Amazing deal! When did you buy them? Best price at the moment from anywhere seems to be £106.50 from battery megastore, or £426 for 4, or £383.40 after a 10% discount - still a great deal at less than £100 each.

The G wiz yogurt pot electric car uses Trojans I think, so it might be cost effective to swap them out for new ones every few months and sell the old set as 'new other' that way you get new batteries for the car and claw back some cash before the old ones are scrap.

Don't know if its worth doing but it might be :unsure:

Not sure you could tell the difference between new batts and used without a full discharge test as suggested earlier. So its a gamble really. Pretty sure use in a G Wiz would hammer the batteries but they could still look new even after a few months...

I have been offered 6 new trojan t105's for 450 quid, but I'm wondering what tests I could do to find out if they're in good condition. Seller sells them through eBay occasionally and has a good rating, and is offering a good price for a cash sale. . .

According to the seller they are new, (one month old) never used, and have 2014 dates stamped near the terminals. He says they have never been charged and have been stored in a heated room. He said I'm welcome to drop test them, check voltage etc.

As far as I'm aware drop testing isn't that useful for non automotive batteries?

Just wanted to see if there are any other checks I could make. Yes I'd much rather buy new with warranty but this seems like a good deal. . .

Just noticed 'never been charged' so are we talking about dry without acid or wet but uncharged?

The G wiz yogurt pot electric car uses Trojans I think, so it might be cost effective to swap them out for new ones every few months and sell the old set as 'new other' that way you get new batteries for the car and claw back some cash before the old ones are scrap.

Don't know if its worth doing but it might be unsure.png

Not sure you could tell the difference between new batts and used without a full discharge test as suggested earlier. So its a gamble really. Pretty sure use in a G Wiz would hammer the batteries but they could still look new even after a few months...

Just noticed 'never been charged' so are we talking about dry without acid or wet but uncharged?

From http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2932

The G Whizz uses T125's Reading some of the other posts it looks as if a well know waterways magazine person may own one that doesn't work.

Edited by ditchcrawler