Park it on the Drive?

Featured Posts

Unfortunately our 5 year plan and 2 year wait to have our boat built and sailing away have been severely scuppered. We have an empty shell but a severely depleted bank account with little chance of recouping the monies paid for the build (please be gentle as we know now the mistakes we have made). I see the only way to be able to eventually get on the water is to fit out myself. Behind our house the farmer is willing for us to place the shell. However, to transport it and crane it off will requite a temp track-way (this is quite a cost) This looks our likely option. The other potential is that it will just fit on the front drive (but may not please our neighbors!) does any one know if the local council could/would object or if there are any legal reasons why not to do this?

I may also need from time to time to post some questions and seek views Hope this is OK.

. The other potential is that it will just fit on the front drive (but may not please our neighbors!) does any one know if the local council could/would object or if there are any legal reasons why not to do this?

I may also need from time to time to post some questions and seek views Hope this is OK.

There are several houses in this area where boats or large camper vans are kept in the front garden. I don't know how well the owners get on with their neighbours, mind.

May I suggest that, if you know and get on with your neighbours each side, talk to them, explain what you want to do and why you have to do it, and seek their opinion. If you don't know or get on with the neighbours, you may be tempted to say f*** them and do it anyway,

How big is this boat shell? If it's a long one, you may be able to sell it for a price which would pay for a smaller, already fitted s'hand boat.

Councils are only really interested in anything permanent and / or would be lived in. An NB on your drive would probably blow their minds ("doesn't compute).

The most important thing is to get your neighbours onside - if they complain the council will be alerted and feel they have to do something.

I fitted out mine in the garden - took ten years - and not a peep out of the council.

Take your time, buy the bits when you have spare cash.

Is the boat level

Is it waterproof - topsides? A tarpaulin over the boat is not a pretty site. I got my windows in quite quickly.

Check your house deeds for any restrictive covenants. The deeds for our house do not permit the storage of caravans on the front of the house and I assume that this may also include a large boat.

I'm not allowed to make bricks...or brew beer sad.png

The law is a bit comlicated on this issue but if your house was built after1960 it is more than likey that your Deeds, or the original Planning Consent, will forbid the parking of any caravan or other "residential" vehicle beyond the building line, so check both before doing anything. In reality the restriction is usually only imposed if the Planning Authority receives complaints from neighbours, so talk to them as well.

There are quite a few caravans and mobile homes parked on drives, or in front gardens, where we live despite Planning Consent forbidding it, but as no one has objected they can remain there. However, a new neighbour, or an existing one who gets fed up with the obstruction, can subsequently complain, and could suceed in you being ordered to remove it, so you need to be aware of that.

Ironically horse boxes with living accomodation are not usually forbiddeen as their primary purpose is the transportation of horses, not human accomodation, and as they do not usually fit into the tare weight conditions preventing the parking of heavy goods vehicles, they are also excempt under those regulations as well. Given the horse box excemption, a boat may be permitted if you could demonstate that it's primary purpose is transportation rather than accomodation, Good luck!

Edited by David Schweizer

A friend of mine fitted out his boat on his drive. During the time it was there his wife died and the husband of the next-door-neighbour died so he married his next-door-neighbour and they still boat happily together to this day!

I bet that got the curtain twitchers going! ohmy.png

A friend of mine fitted out his boat on his drive. During the time it was there his wife died and the husband of the next-door-neighbour died so he married his next-door-neighbour and they still boat happily together to this day!

Hmmmmmm ... That sounds like one for inspector Morse :)

wherever you fit out you need to be as level as possible (makes angles and levels sooo much easier) if its on a field make a good non muddy hard level area outside for working, you'll need it !!! (Ideally with a lean to cover over it to keep it dry) and as Oldgoat has said get the windows and doors on first !!! Good luck, a self fit out is a steep learning curve but very satisfying cheers.gif

, a new neighbour, or an existing one who gets fed up with the obstruction, can subsequently complain, and could suceed in you being ordered to remove it, so you need to be aware of that.

.....or an existing one who decides to sell their house and thinks that a large boat parked on a neighbour's drive devalues their house price or makes it harder to sell.

Another option is to put the boat into the canal. Providing you have the stern gear in. Windows and doors can be boarded over temporily and you can camp on the boat using an air bed and camping stove. It depends how near you are to the canal and a good marina. That way you can enjoy the area round your mooring. I have done just that in the past.

Another option is to put the boat into the canal. Providing you have the stern gear in. Windows and doors can be boarded over temporily and you can camp on the boat using an air bed and camping stove. It depends how near you are to the canal and a good marina. That way you can enjoy the area round your mooring. I have done just that in the past.

It's a good suggestion - but the OP has mentioned that he could not pay for a fit-out because he had run short of money. So he's unlikely to wish to (or be able to) fork out £700 or so for a CART licence. That amount of money would pay for some windows for example.

These are rather negative views - it is surely possible that neighbours will be interested by the unusual sight of a narrowboat in next door's garden and may offer to lend a hand with the work.

They'll be interested right up to the point that a hammer is wielded or a grinder comes in to contact with some steel work.

Then the complaints will start to come in

Been there, done it, got the tee shirt ;)

thanks for these thoughts and observations. The house is pre 1960 and I cant see any restrictions in the deeds. We have previously had motor homes and a caravans and that was OK. Neighbors were OK with the boat at the end of their garden will need to see their thoughts if we do peruse the drive way option. I take on board that their views could change when the grinder is out! My preference is the filed if possible and if can raise the funds. The idea of keeping the ground around for working on is sensible. We do hope to quickly get it as watertight as possible with windows etc ASAP. Then start with blasting and build up from there. As I still work the doing it on the canal side is not for us a possibility. Thanks

These are rather negative views - it is surely possible that neighbours will be interested by the unusual sight of a narrowboat in next door's garden and may offer to lend a hand with the work.

Not all neighbours are friendly or at all interested. Some years ago a neighbour three houses away (since moved) complained about dust from some building work we were having done. He seemed to forgert the amount of inconvenience, not to mention noise and dust he created when he decided to hire a kango hammer and spent a week breaking up his drive with it.

We had those in our last house. And we weren't permitted to run a bawdy house either!

I was reading my deeds the other day (sad git) and in addition to many of those restrictions already mentioned, but not the bawdy house, I'm not allowed to run a sawmill or dig for gravel. What was also interesting was that in 1910 the land was sold as a farm of 150 acres with a mortgage of £6000. With no knowledge that struck me as quite expensive for the times.

Frank

As I still work the doing it on the canal side is not for us a possibility.

I had thought that you couldn't afford to have the boat professionally fitted out because you had suffered a financial blow, and losing your job seemed the most likely reason. Have you had unexpected expenses elsewhere, or did the shell cost a lot more than you had anticipated?