Park it on the Drive?

Featured Posts

Unfortunately our 5 year plan and 2 year wait to have our boat built and sailing away have been severely scuppered. We have an empty shell but a severely depleted bank account with little chance of recouping the monies paid for the build (please be gentle as we know now the mistakes we have made). I see the only way to be able to eventually get on the water is to fit out myself. Behind our house the farmer is willing for us to place the shell. However, to transport it and crane it off will requite a temp track-way (this is quite a cost) This looks our likely option. The other potential is that it will just fit on the front drive (but may not please our neighbors!) does any one know if the local council could/would object or if there are any legal reasons why not to do this?

I may also need from time to time to post some questions and seek views Hope this is OK.

A lot smaller but I had a Shetland on my front lawn for a few years, really jarred the site developer off but the deeds said I couldn't park a caravan in the front garden, it didn't say anything about a boat

Unfortunately our 5 year plan and 2 year wait to have our boat built and sailing away have been severely scuppered. We have an empty shell but a severely depleted bank account with little chance of recouping the monies paid for the build (please be gentle as we know now the mistakes we have made). I see the only way to be able to eventually get on the water is to fit out myself. Behind our house the farmer is willing for us to place the shell. However, to transport it and crane it off will requite a temp track-way (this is quite a cost) This looks our likely option. The other potential is that it will just fit on the front drive (but may not please our neighbors!) does any one know if the local council could/would object or if there are any legal reasons why not to do this?

I may also need from time to time to post some questions and seek views Hope this is OK.

I would suggest that if you are going to lay a temporary road to get a low loader and crane in round to the back of the house, and an even better one to get it out again, remember the crane that lifts it out will probably weigh 40 tons it may work out cheaper to have hard standing at a yard somewhere even if it costs £1000 a year. Where is the boat now.

Sounds like you paid a big chunk to have the shell built and fitted out and the builder went pop, I have my 58 foot shell in my back yard with a poly tunnel sort of thing over it, no complaints from next door yet even after grinding, drilling, banging, etc. I would go for drive if poss as its hard standing, electric near and out of bed and on the boat.

Neil

Personally, I'm a little more noise-tolerant if I know when it's going to start and stop. Chances of success with your neighbours might be improved by discussing noisy times with them. Perhaps 'not on Sundays', or 'not after 5pm' or similar.

I'd hate to think that there's going to be 5 years of banging and drilling near by house.

There is a narrowboat on the drive of a house in glen parva leicester. Been there as long as I can remember.

Personally, I'm a little more noise-tolerant if I know when it's going to start and stop. Chances of success with your neighbours might be improved by discussing noisy times with them. Perhaps 'not on Sundays', or 'not after 5pm' or similar.

I'd hate to think that there's going to be 5 years of banging and drilling near by house.

this is spot on .

I can say from personal experience that the worse part of noise nuisance is not knowing when it is going to start or stop. I would imagine if the noise was restricted to weekdays during working hours then I would doubt anyone would have a problem.

The application date for permission is dated 2013.

It has been on that drive for many years.

The application is to extend the previous permission. It looks like the council have viewed it as being something like a static caravan.

I fitted out my shell at home and had to move it from a neighbours field into my property. The crane put the shell on several short sections of telegraph pole, and then with two tractors we rolled it about 40 metres. The ground was grassed but quite soggy (November) but the shell rolled fairly easily.

When it was finished, I was worried that the extra weight (9 tons to 13 tons) would be a problem and I had four tractors available. But as the ground was firmer, two tractors easily moved it again.

If the field is grassed, I would consider doing the same. It's MUCH easier working on the boat at home where you have all your tools, power etc than on the water.

Richard

I seem to remember that Barry Argent rebuilt his josher Perch in two halves in his back garden then welded both pieces back together again. There was a fascinating TV programme about this, but I can't find it online.

I didn't know he had glued it back together. That is the chap who lives on the Erewash isn't it.

I agree with this. Most people don't mind a bit of noise providing its not to early or late. Afternoon is fine but might not be if you have neighbours who work from home.

The trackway issue is a bit of a problem, your shell weighs 4-5 tons (?) so sheets of shuttering ply would be ok but when it is finished it could weigh 10 - 12 tons (?) so would need a proper track to get it out. If you put it on the drive you can have proper electric and if you get windows, doors and insulation in it will quiten down your activities inside the boat. If you get the shell in primer then hurry up and get it painted or the rust will soon come through and you will have a much bigger job, never mind all the stripes and decorations, just a well applied plain colour will do. Boat jumbles are good for hardware, reclaimed everything is always worth a look, use decent quality ply for floors, it stays nice and flat, design access panels into it, that'll keep you going for a bit! Good Luck

was looking promising with no covenant on the house to stop this, planning department saying not needing permission possible OK from neighbors. Then as we live on a main road find we will need permissions from police as may block the road during craning and some phone cables will need removing for the lift this will cause delays in getting approval and potential extra costs. The quotes for field tracking are a lot. So thinking the long term plan is doomed. Last option is if some local unit at a cheep price exists in the Belper, Ripley, Little Eaton area near Derby. Life can be a challenge at times when other fail to do what they have promised and not keep safe your life savings.! Thanks for all you thoughts on this, its much aprieciated

was looking promising with no covenant on the house to stop this, planning department saying not needing permission possible OK from neighbors. Then as we live on a main road find we will need permissions from police as may block the road during craning and some phone cables will need removing for the lift this will cause delays in getting approval and potential extra costs. The quotes for field tracking are a lot. So thinking the long term plan is doomed. Last option is if some local unit at a cheep price exists in the Belper, Ripley, Little Eaton area near Derby. Life can be a challenge at times when other fail to do what they have promised and not keep safe your life savings.! Thanks for all you thoughts on this, its much aprieciated

Good luck with it all........cheers.gif

Check your house deeds for any restrictive covenants. The deeds for our house do not permit the storage of caravans on the front of the house and I assume that this may also include a large boat.

Ours specifically mentions Caravans, horse boxes, trailers and Boats. (presumably of any size)

Just go for the drive, have it delivered early one sunday morning so not much traffic and block the road for half an hour and face the music after, after all they can only give you a slap on the hand for obstruction. That's what I did but on a Saturday and never heard a thing, a few cars turned round and went another way and most were watching, and a couple tooted but no problem with police or council.

Neil

I fitted out my shell at home and had to move it from a neighbours field into my property. The crane put the shell on several short sections of telegraph pole, and then with two tractors we rolled it about 40 metres. The ground was grassed but quite soggy (November) but the shell rolled fairly easily.

When it was finished, I was worried that the extra weight (9 tons to 13 tons) would be a problem and I had four tractors available. But as the ground was firmer, two tractors easily moved it again.

If the field is grassed, I would consider doing the same. It's MUCH easier working on the boat at home where you have all your tools, power etc than on the water.

Richard

I would absolutely agree with these sentiments. We're working on our boat in a disused cow shed, which is fine apart from being flooded every winter (two winters so far) and not having power available. We have a generator but it's noisy and doesn't have enough power (2.5kVA) for the bigger tools we need to use sometimes such as saw benches and welding sets, so having the boat somewhere where power is available and not having to drive to it is very worthwhile.