Historic Boats in the 90's

IanM

Featured Posts

Got around to scanning a load of my photos of historic boats from a few Braunston Boat shows from the 1990s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/sets/72157647353639143/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/sets/72157647353684203/

I seem to have got 1996 and 1997 mixed in together

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/sets/72157649263515899/

Thanks for posting these. I was delighted to see Owl with its Seffle, before I had the undercloth conversion done. I don't have many pictures from 20 years ago since it was before digital photography and smart phones.

BTW Owl must be one of the least photographed boats during its working days and I haven't discovered a single one of our butty, Hampton.

Thanks for posting these. I was delighted to see Owl with its Seffle, before I had the undercloth conversion done. I don't have many pictures from 20 years ago since it was before digital photography and smart phones.

BTW Owl must be one of the least photographed boats during its working days and I haven't discovered a single one of our butty, Hampton.

Is that the same hat as you still wear Jim? :lol:

I'm positive I've seen Hampton in an old photo or video linked from this forum relatively recently, but can't remember where. There must be somebody out there who remembers.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I'd appreciate any help with identifying boats that aren't obvious, especially...

Small Woolwich? motor

15360294984_02b95f97f6_z.jpg

Braunston Boat Show 1995 by imulford, on Flickr

The butty with Hyperion

15796548489_7bf896a8b4_z.jpg

Motorised GU butty

15982556835_8d3b6d570e_z.jpg

Large Northwich motor (Renfrew?)

15981888642_38df8a9689_z.jpg

Large Woolwich motor

15982556495_b1c0a8bbea_z.jpg

I'm positive I've seen Hampton in an old photo or video linked from this forum relatively recently, but can't remember where. There must be somebody out there who remembers.

I think i posted a couple of photos of my boat ALBION towing HAMPTON, but they would have been from 1980 ish. Could this be what you were thinking of?

Thanks for the comments so far.

I'd appreciate any help with identifying boats that aren't obvious, especially...

1 = ARCHIMEDES

2 = KESTREL (exTRIAGULUM)

3 = NEBULAE ? (I can't think of another motorised Small Woolwich butty in that livery at that time)

4 = RENFREW

5 = BIRMINGHAM

<Snip>.

I think Fulbourne would run you a close 2nd, we've only found about four photos of it working :-(

Tim

1 = ARCHIMEDES

2 = KESTREL (exTRIAGULUM)

3 = NEBULAE ? (I can't think of another motorised Small Woolwich butty in that livery at that time)

4 = RENFREW

5 = BIRMINGHAM

Thanks Pete :)

I've got slightly better these days in making sure I get a picture of the name so I've got some chance of identifying pictures in the future!

Lovely to see Bramble when it was short. A shame it isn't still like that.

I really hope we are not going to hit a time when most of the "fudged-about-with" boats will have been returned to original carrying condition and the only evidence they were ever anything different is in pictures.

I really hope we are not going to hit a time when most of the "fudged-about-with" boats will have been returned to original carrying condition and the only evidence they were ever anything different is in pictures.

And I was just about to start torching the cabin conversion of "Flamingo"........

I agree too.

The most recent and saddest loss of a 70's conversion was the THEMIS. I so wanted to buy that boat when it was for sale complete with classic 70's cabin but just couldn't raise the money.

I was mortified when the new owners converted it back to working boat trim.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I think i posted a couple of photos of my boat ALBION towing HAMPTON, but they would have been from 1980 ish. Could this be what you were thinking of?

Don't think so - I'm pretty sure it was a cabin only shot clearly showing the name, and am also sure it was an 'old' photo or film. Maybe it will come to me in the small hours. I'm sure it was a row of boats moored side by side, and Hampton just stood out.

I agree too.

The most recent and saddest loss of a 70's conversion was the THEMIS. I so wanted to buy that boat when it was for sale complete with classic 70's cabin but just couldn't raise the money.

I was mortified when the new owners converted it back to working boat trim.

MtB

Especially now it has been converted back again!

George ex nb Alton retired

2 photos of Willow working.

Only one of Badger, discounting two as a maintenance boat.

George ex nb Alton retired