Size....

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

57ft, just me.

I think a well planned fit-out really decides how much "useable" space you get.

I've got more useable space and storage in my 57ft boat than I've seen in many 70ft boats!

Hi ya, I've got a relatively Short n Fat boat at 42 x 11ft.

But it suits most the purposes that I've asked of her over the years I've had her, and have found it to be easier finding & getting into or out of moorings as a single hander.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5rsuqar6nkmiev/2014-04-02%2010.27.58.jpg?dl=0

58ft cruiser and just me too.

I must agree with Kae. I looked at loads of boats of all lengths and the one I bought has (or seems to have) loads more space and storage than many much longer ones. I looked at a couple of 60 foot trads that I absolutely swore were no longer than 50 foot. It's definitely down to layout.

Cheers,

T.

Agree/

Living on a narrowboat is easy on any size as long as you can get off it. Once you make the choice of either giving up your home or making it a permanent residence then I personally wouldn't consider anything smaller than 57ft.

I have seen plenty live on smaller boats I suppose it depends on how much space you like? how much you hoard stuff or like personal affects? Washing is a big issue. Do you plan to do your own? if so then its a good idea to have either a utility room or washing machine at least. My last boat had one which was awesome however, then you need to consider where you put the wet washing? how you get it dry? are you going to have a rotary washing line? some do. Is there going to be a push bike? musical instruments? computer? all these factors do come into consideration.

Heating, again experience has taught me boats vary considerably in insulation. The older boats are not necessarily insulated as well as newer boats. I did have one with two bedrooms one front and one rear with lounge and log burner in the middle. Ideal I thought after years of struggling with other boats. However, still not perfect because during the winter of 2010 the burner didn't touch the sides of the bedrooms they were like Ice. I did have central heating but the cost of Gas couldn't afford to use the two bottles per week.

So again its back to you: Kitchen space now do you want rear end near the back to make lots of tea while cruising or perhaps want people to walk through the bedroom into the kitchen in the middle? again lots to consider.

I could go on and on about different aspects but feel this might be a little too much for starters

Happy boating and hope these comments help and give you something to think about before making the jump. Regards Wendynwasfood@yahoo.co.uk

Agree/

Living on a narrowboat is easy on any size as long as you can get off it. Once you make the choice of either giving up your home or making it a permanent residence then I personally wouldn't consider anything smaller than 57ft.

I have seen plenty live on smaller boats I suppose it depends on how much space you like? how much you hoard stuff or like personal affects? Washing is a big issue. Do you plan to do your own? if so then its a good idea to have either a utility room or washing machine at least. My last boat had one which was awesome however, then you need to consider where you put the wet washing? how you get it dry? are you going to have a rotary washing line? some do. Is there going to be a push bike? musical instruments? computer? all these factors do come into consideration.

Heating, again experience has taught me boats vary considerably in insulation. The older boats are not necessarily insulated as well as newer boats. I did have one with two bedrooms one front and one rear with lounge and log burner in the middle. Ideal I thought after years of struggling with other boats. However, still not perfect because during the winter of 2010 the burner didn't touch the sides of the bedrooms they were like Ice. I did have central heating but the cost of Gas couldn't afford to use the two bottles per week.

So again its back to you: Kitchen space now do you want rear end near the back to make lots of tea while cruising or perhaps want people to walk through the bedroom into the kitchen in the middle? again lots to consider.

I could go on and on about different aspects but feel this might be a little too much for starters

Happy boating and hope these comments help and give you something to think about before making the jump. Regards Wendynwasfood@yahoo.co.uk

Please adjust your font, very difficult to read on a mobile.

Phil

I have been finding with bigger boats - or atleast the one's i am seeing the extra space from over 55ft general is used for extra bedrooms, which we just won't need.

Ours is 50ft, and the one thing that many 57ft boats have over ours is a dinette, other than that 50ft gives the same space for the other elements as 57ft. So you have to look at the layout and decide if it is using the space for things that you want or not.

My boat is either 41' or 42' long, depending on who you believe. It's currently a weekend and holiday boat although I will be living aboard from next year for six months a year, and eventually 12 months a year.

I anticipate mostly being aboard on my own, with my girlfriend and/or children staying about 15-20% of the time. By current liveaboard standards, it's a relatively short boat but I've spent most of the last 28 years living 5-6 days a week in the cab of an articulated lorry so for me it's fairly palatial.

It is very well laid out, it was originally built for Malcolm Rhodes as his own personal boat - "Desiree" is his wife's name. Malcolm Rhodes was/is a professional narrowboat fitter-outer and generally reckoned to be one of the best in the business, and the space has been far better used than many 50' boats I've viewed.

For me, part of the decision on length was based on costs, it seems nearly everything is charged on a per-foot basis, although as implied above, I've always been happy with the concept that "less is more".

Mine is 49 foot long, but has very small back deck and no front well so probably about 43 foot cabin space. Using clever ways to make the boat bigger(open plan and use of colour), everyone thinks she is bigger.

There is plenty of room for 2 huge dogs a cat and me. If I found myself in a relationship, I could probably give up one of my wardrobes if I have too!!!

It could sleep 4 and the kitchen is large even though I don't cook much. But I spent years re planning how to improve her and gutted her, so to me she is the ideal boat.

The OH and I had a 48' boat initially, which only had about 33' of cabin or so. We found it quite small, as we're both hoarders and filled it with books, old interesting things, and tools and outdoor gear! I found there wasn't space to do any work on the computer at home easily, or mark books, and so would have to go out to do those things.

We now have a 72' boat, and two cats, and things are much more comfortable.

I was boat hunting around 2 years ago now and looked at boats from 40ft to 60ft. I had a budget of 15-20k and I only found rusty heaps that were damp etc.

Found the boat I bought for 25,000. A 50ft trad narrowboat. I find it perfect for myself. If I found a Woman and got married I would probably have it lengthened if we had a child to say 58ft to create another bedroom.

Jamescheers.gif

I certainly agree size isn't everything...

The main issue with living on a boat is storage space.

You can easily get used to a smaller kitchen, bathroom, sitting room etc but what you take for granted in a house/flat is the space you have to store things. So when you look at boats that, in my opinion, is the most important aspect of the layout. You see so much wasted space on a lot of boats.

This is also the reason why a lot of liveaboards prefer trads. The extra room created, if used intelligently can make a huge difference.

Having said this, even though you could get by in a 45 foot boat, if you want two separate sitting areas which I think is pretty much essential for a couple, you need at least another 5 feet, which gets you to 50 foot which is the minimum most couples find acceptable.

The problem with narrowboats compared to river/sea boats is not so much the width, it's the air draught that really compromises the design. Imagine if you didn't have to restrict the height above water to 6 foot or so it would create all sorts of options and some owners have taken this route accepting that their boat won't be able to navigate certain canals.

In my fantasy world where money is no object I would be living on a big river/sea cruiser with something like a 40 foot narrowboat "tender" for exploring the canals.

One seating area and then another biggrin.png

Usually seen as a lounge area and a dinette on a narrowboat.

On our cruiser its the saloon seating and then a seperate area of cockpit seating.

We toyed with the idea of getting something bigger to allow for a dinette - but thats more space that we have in our flat at the moment! We work opposite shifts so aren't at home at the same time much anyway so had decided against it.