Nb Firefly

junior

Featured Posts

When i was down the the nitty gritty of my boat search i ended up trying to choose between 2 boats. Albion which I own now and a boat called Firefly, which was for sale at WFBCo.

Firefly had a Kromhout (sp?) M1 single cylinder engine. At the time although I knew I wanted a 'trad/vintage' engine, I didn't really have the knowledge to appreciate what was what.

I don't for one second regret my purchase of Albion and I love the Petter PH2 it has in the engine room, but I've often wondered what it would be like to cruise along all day listening to that single cylinder engine in Firefly.

The boat itself wasn't really a practical liveaboard, but then I neither was Albion when I bought it. Even after much work to make it easier to live with, it is still geared up for extended cruising rather than a proper liveaboard. Again it has me wondering if 15 months on I'd make the same choice.

Anyway, the point of my post...

Does anyone know what happened to Firefly? Iirc it was about a 50ft replica BCN Tug painted a 'raddle red' colour. Seeing as it was for sale at Stockton i thought I might have seen it on my travels this year, but I can't even find a photo of it on the web anywhere to put in this thread. I'd be curious to know where it was these days so as to keep an eye out for it. I never saw it in the flesh as I went to see Albion first and fell in love at first sight.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and bumped into their second choice boat over the years? Are you happy with your decisions?

I heard on the towpath telegraph the new owner had the wonderful Kromhaut removed.

Is this true or a load of old bobbins?

MtB

Interesting that was one thing that was suggested to me on here when i started a 'which one' thread featuring the 2 boats.

Someone suggested i could take out the Kromhaut and sell it, using the proceeds to but a Lister or similar and still have some money left over.

Firefly was a nice looking boat, but i can't imagine why someone would take that engine out. There are plenty of other 'nice looking boats' for sale all the time so you'd have thought that anyone buying Firefly would have been doing so for the engine.

I did a patch repair on the Kromhout eXhaust, Firefly was for sale at the time. She sold not long after and last I heard the engine was coming out

Richard

It was Florence you did the repair on.The engine did come out shortly afrer.New owner.

Edited by Jacq

It was Florence you did the repair on.The engine did come out shortly afrer.New owner.

Dammit- you are right!

Well, there are two boats with Kromhouts, it's easy to make a mistake...

I take it you are fitting an engine with a starter motor that leaves space for a bathroom

Richard

Edited by RLWP

That's a shame.

I've not seen the engine for sale though, which also seems odd if it was removed.

MtB

Woah Mike.

I seem to remember when I had a problem with the oil gauge on my Gardner 2LW you suggested the gauge was alright and to throw the engine away instead (preferably in your direction). biggrin.png

Hello People

New member here although I'll admit straight out that I've been browsing here for a couple of years whilst planning & starting the fit-out of my boat "FLO".

Anyway, I reckon I've seen Firefly near me a a few times last summer. Not sure what distinguishes a BCN tug but I'd describe this one as a small tug, lovely proportions, back cabin/engine room/mid cabin, big headlight, matt brown colour & small oval portholes.

Definitely still got an engine. Sounded like a vintage single but no idea what except not a Panther or a BSA.